Transitioning fine 4a hair........

amazin9

I really need help, because I don't know what to do with my hair. I have fine 4a hair and I am trying to transition. I decided to transition because every beautician I have been to always over straightens my hair!!! Since it is fine, it looks thinner after each relaxer so I decided to transition and go back to pressing. I tried no-lye relaxers, but my hair HATES it. It is worse on my hair. Well, I was wearing a Halle Berry type cut and my last relaxer was in May. Well now I have a serious fro and I don't know what to do with it!!! My shampoos and conditioners I was previously using no longer work. My hair tangles really bad and fine hair is a **** to untangle!!! I am frustrated I think I want to relax, but I don't want it over straightened again! I just don't know what to do with it. I have been doing sew in weaves, thanks to the advice I received here. I just need help!:cry3: What are good shampoos and conditioners I can use on natural hair? I really think I may relax again.........:confused:

Cheleigh

Transitioning with fine hair is not that easy. My hair is medium to fine and very curly and it tangles like crazy--that's acutally the only downside to transitioning instead of doing the BC for me.

I'm still finding my routine (after 6 months, yikes), what I do know:

1. I had to up the moisture about 60% more than the relaxed hair needed.
2. I have to wash my hair in sections (braided)
3. I can't over manipulate the hair while washing
4. Detangle with my hair full of condish under running water.
5. Fingers are my friend--I can better control tension during detangling with fingers than with a comb.
6. Coat the ends of my hair with grease or a heavy butter after I braid it at night before bed.
7. Trim the ends every couple of months--fine curly hair loves to curl up on itself, and I think uneven ends make it a little worse.
8. Make sure you clear your hair of shed hair--most of my knots stem from my strands wrapping themselves around shed hair.

ichephren

Do you really want to transition or do you want to find a way to better manage processed hair? If you want your hair to stop thinning, then I say give your hair a longer break from processing then texturize it to about 70% straight. I would also suggest looking into phytorelaxer if you can afford it. Either way, your hair won't be as thin as it is fully relaxed. If you really want to transition, then I would follow cheleigh's recommendations. Transitioning is a long process, and if your end game is to press anyway, then it may just be better to texturize. Good luck :)

amazin9

Thank you ladies for your replys! I think I will look into getting texturized instead of completely relaxed.

Cheleigh - Your suggestions are great. I had the tangled shedded hair mess my last wash! I will up the moisture!...thanks

ichephren - I tried the Phyto and it doesn't like my hair. My hair does not do well with no-lye and the Phyto was no different.

Chanteuse

I have approximately 7 months worth of newgrowth and I'm not having any problems managing it thanks to my products and current stretch regime. I made it to 7 months by getting braids back to back for four months. Now that it's out I have been COing w/ either silicon mix, neutrogena mask or suave milk & honey. When I use shampoo it's Cream of Nature (keracare is good too). I detangle in sections under running water w/ a shower comb while conditioner is in my hair. When I'm done my hair is soft soft soft. Then apply a creamy leave in, moisturizer and light gel on my edges and slick it back in a wet ponytail and braid the length. Tie my scarf on it for the night and the next day I have a sleek looking ponytail. Not very exciting but it's keeping the hair on my head while I decide if I want to relax or not. I've been doing this every night (washing or rinsing more often is important to successful stretching IMO) with no problems. HTH

ThursdayGirl

I know you're thinking about texturizing, but I wanted to throw my hat into the ring as well. I have fine 4A hair, but there's a lot of it. I went through a bad tangling period and these are the things that helped me (in addition to the suggestions above):

1. get a trim (hair was so much easier to detangle after she took an inch or 2 off

2. Prepoo (any cheapie condish (I think I was using suave Humectant and tropical coconut. mixed with honey. Now I am using up the conditioners I have but adding honey and avocado oil to them). Detangling was a breeze after this.

3. detangle in sections.

4. Moved into conditioner washing instead of shampooing everytime. Turns out shampoo really dries my natural hair out.

Good Luck!

L

lkg4healthyhair

I have very fine 4a hair and I am transitioning also. I dont plan to BC so I know I have a very long road ahead of me (I am 3.5 months post relaxer) I am determined to do it because I feel like relaxers only make my hair thinner and weaker.

I do plan to texturize at some point but not until at least 9 months post. I can see how much thicker my natural hair is compared to the relaxed portion and it makes me want to keep going.

I follow some of the steps the ladies mentioned above also. Washing in sections is my new thing. For deep moisture I like NTM mask on my new growh and all the way to the ends and let it sit over night with a shower cap on or saran wrap. Moisture is definitely the key.

Right now I am doing the baggie but plan to get a weave at some point when figure out the hair I want.

Shampoo: KeraCare detangling shampoo is good
conditioner: protein I like Aubrey's GPB and for moisture I LOVE aubreys camilia it is amazing

HTH

amazin9

Thank you ladies for your replys! I have decided to conditioner wash instead of shampooing because of the dryness. I am wearing a quick weave right now, so I will do this every evening. I have been without a relaxer since May, so I will try your suggestions and continue on.