Transitioning to fully texlaxed.. almost APL.. best braid practices??

girlfromipanema

Morning LHCF:grin: (this is my first time starting a thread, tryna quit being a lurker:yep:).. Sooo just wondering.. I had a huge disaster last year when taking down a set of Senegalese twists where my hair got sooo tangled after taking the braids down and my hair ended up dreading up.. I had to cut out ALOT of my hair:nono:... sadface.. At the time, I had about3 or 4in of lightly texlaxed hair and the rest fully relaxed ends (I was around APL then).. Since then I've been maintaining at this same length and cutting away relaxed ends.. Also, there's a strip of hair in the middle of the rear of my scalp from crown to nape about 1in wide that's MUCH shorter than the rest (2/2 having to cut out loc'ed hair) .. So I'm almost cutting to maintain look of fullness, b/c when my hair is down, it looks really obvious (looks like a curtain partially opened, smh..).. At any rate, I say all this to say I was really confused as to why this happened..So now I'm on the regrow and braids have never (before that) been a problematic part of my regimen.. I've never had that problem with braid takedown before.. As work gets busy and I'm ps-ing to to gain length over the next year, I'd like to add braids back to my regimen. So I wanted to know has anyone else had problems with tangling after braid takedown that is worsened when you have two diff textures in your hair at the same time? Is there a style/type of braids that makes this worse? Successful braid takedown procedures? Is there a length beyond which one's hair can be just too prone to tangling on takedown.. I'd love to hear your thoughts ladies! TIA! Ciao!

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I was the braid queen back in the day.

I would not suggest individuals unless you know how to put them up into a ponytail without stressing your hairline.

When taking them out spritz (not spray) a liquid (I suggest Aloe vera juice mixed with equal amounts of distilled or filtered water) comb each individual braided section. DONOT comb all the hair together.

Check out this site for braid take down if you need more information.

Grow Afro Hair Long--Official Site

girlfromipanema

Thanks for your response chica! I'll check out the site.. I'm definitely cautious though.. Maybe I'll try cornrows first and see how that goes..
HHJ!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I had an issue with matting during a weave takedown. It took three hours to detangle and I lost hair as a result.

I suggest not wearing the braids too long. With the two textures 4 weeks may be all your hair can handle.

With your new growth, the shed hair tangles at the root, then it tangles with the two textures down the strand when you are transitioning. That's alot of texture for the shed hair to try to get past.

I suggest a good detangler. I just use olive oil.

Good luck:)

afjhnsn

I was the braid queen back in the day.

I would not suggest individuals unless you know how to put them up into a ponytail without stressing your hairline.

When taking them out spritz (not spray) a liquid (I suggest Aloe vera juice mixed with equal amounts of distilled or filtered water) comb each individual braided section. DONOT comb all the hair together.

Check out this site for braid take down if you need more information.

Grow Afro Hair Long--Official Site
I'm thinking of getting / installing individuals myself ... how do you put them into a ponytail w/o putting stress on the hairline? My edges are slowly but surely coming along and I don't want to ruin the progress I've made.