How to braid hair for a "Braid Out"

tc_333

How to braid hair for a \"Braid Out\"

Hello Ladies,

What's the best way to put braids in the hair to get a nice krinkly braid out? I'm not very skillful when it comes to braiding, but for my braidouts I basically part my hair into two sections (left and right), and I do two braids. Then, I pin my hair up (which is shoulder-length when wet). This works well for pining my hair up; but not for braidouts, because the top of my hair doesn't come out krinkly. Can anyone suggest how I should part and braid my hair to get my hair crinkly all over??? Thanks, friends!

Camille

Re: How to braid hair for a \"Braid Out\"

I can do my own braids so I don't know if everuyone can do this themselves, but I just cornrow my hair straight back after washing and conditioning and treating with Motions leaving conditioner and some Isoplus setting lotion. The good thing about this for me is that my hair dries quickly and I can take it out in a few hours and be ready to go, how ever I find that the longer i keep it in the longer my hair stays "crimpy". Then I'll just fingercomb it and apply some WOC Curl activator and I'm out the door!!!

tc_333

I tried this once, but they looked pretty bad and I don't remember being impressed with the results. But like I tell my preschooler, practice make perfect....of course we paraphrase it into "the more we practice, the better we get!" Well, I will try it again in a couple of days! Thanks!

nita4

I experimented with this all last week. I got better definition with the braids, but I found it time consuming as I had to redo nightly. Anyway, I put two more braids on the top of my head in order to get the textured pattern on top. Here is some information I found:

Twistout or Braidout Moisture Tip
In the evening, get a small bowl of medium hot water - about 3-4 ounces.
Add to the water a half teaspoon each of cholesterol conditioner and coconut oil, mixing all together well.
Gather a semi-large section of hair, wet my fingers with the mixture, and re-twist my hair.
Wear a silk scarf at night. In the morning, shower without a cap, get dressed, and untwist your hair. Instead of untwisting in a random fashion, grab the end of the twist, and untwirl the hair from the end until it is untwisted.
No snags, no fuzziness from pulling. Your curls will be beautifully defined, well moisturized, and NOT FRIZZY!!!! For added volume, CAREFULLY separate a few of the twists.

My hair felt like it was drying out during the day as I wore this style and I did have to deal with some frizz. Good Luck...

nita4

Oh, forgot to add that I added sponge rollers with end papers to the end of each braid. Make sure after you shampoo and condition that you let your hair air dry or it will be still be wet in the morning. I used leave ins and a watered down setting lotion. In the morning I unbraided with a little shea butter rubbed on my palms as I unbraided so that I wouldn't disturb the texture or frizz my hair.

G

I don't know if this works with all hair types.. But when I want the "braidout" look. After washing my hair, I ran a wide tooth comb trough a couple of times. and I'll either just leave it as soo , or add a curl enhancer or olive oil and let air dry. In a couple of hours my hair will have the straight slighty s-wavy look of a braid out, without having to waste time on braiding my hair.

tc_333

Hey Nita,

Very good tips. I'll try to let my hair air dry for a few minutes so that it is not sopping wet (as it usually is when I do wet sets). If I can keep my hair detangled before the braiding, then I make this part of my routine.

How did that moisturizing step (with the hot water, cholesterol, and coconut oil) work for you? I would think that would combat the dryness that you felt later in the day. I wash my hair at least twice a week, hoping to step it up to every other day AND I was hoping that the twist out would last for at-least two days. Well, I guess I got some work to do, until I come up with something that works!

Thanks for the tips, Nita. I'll keep you posted!

T

tc_333

Hey Em-,

I've tried this tip, but unfortunately, my hair looked like a big poof ball when I do this. Sounds like a great way to style the hair, though - just didn't work for me!

nita4

Haven't used yet, will try this week when I shampoo. Will let you know.

Karonica

Between 6-8 is ideal for medium-small crimps. Then, don't forget to roll them at the ends with small rollers. That adds spice to it.

The next morning, if it is too crimped for you, I've discovered another trick. Wetting it! If I put water on it, depending how much water I spray on, it loosens up, and then I can get really natural looking waves. Really exotic, in my opinion. All I need is a flower in my head, and a Bohemian outfit.

nita4

Karonica, how are you maintaining or are you re-doing nightly?

Karonica

When I do them, I leave them in no more than 3 days (if not 2), and that's it for the week. The 1st two days are the kewlest (when I leave the crimps in), but the 3rd is eh. After the first night, the second night, I just randomly roll up sections of hair, and that adds even more crimp in the morning. But, I prefer wearing my hair pinned up with twist-outs, so this helps them to last longer, and I don't have to worry about re-plaiting. I just may roll up the ends or something, and I still leave them pinned up for bedtime.

I am a spritz fan, so this helps keep 'em lasting too.

tc_333

Well Ladies,

I did my braidout the right way for the first time. After doing some research on the net and actually looking at pictures of step-by-step braiding, it dawned on me that I was actually braiding in reverse. Instead of taking the hair over, I'm used to doing it underhand -- it worked okay for my two braids, but for cornrows it wasn't happening.

So, yesterday, after washing and conditioning my hair, I combed my hair and loosely put it into two ponytails and let it air dry for about an hour (longer than I planned, but that's the way it is when you have a hubbie and two kids). Anyhoo, I ended up misting it with leave in and puting on a little hair creme and then doing my braids. My hair got pretty tangly while doing this (I'm going to retouch with relaxer next week), but I continued. I ended up with seven braids, which actually looked like cornrows -- though there's definitely room for improvement. I rolled up the ends using my tiny blue magnetic rollers.

Next time, I will have to be even more careful in sectioning my hair so that I can have neat rows.

The next morning, I took the braids out and my hair was 99% dry (definitely from airdrying before braiding). I think it looks pretty cute, so I will be doing this again this weekend. I'll see how hubbie likes it tonight!

JenJen2721

TC,
Keep us posted on how it turns out please??

Does anyone know if braid outs look OK on short hair?

TIA,
Jen

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"

Hi there,

Yes, please tell us how your braid out turns out and let us know what products you used. I love doing the braidouts, sometimes.
(They last only about a week for me.) I don't know how crinkly you want your braidout, but the number of rows of braids determines that. The looser/bigger the braids, of course, the wavier the outcome. If you're a tight braider, that's good. I add Keratin or oil to my wet hair, then section it to make eight or more cornrows (overhand). I'm a tight braider, so the "set" takes well. I use the towel to "pinch" the braided end to get the excess water out then dab oil before I secure a small black hair rubber band to it. Using the bands will keep your ends curled and not give them that "straight" look. Sometimes I do pin up the front and leave the rest out. That's a cute style...
You're welcome to visit my album to see how my braidout looks.
Best of luck,

Brownie

My hair is texturized, so when my hair dries, it comes out really thick and wavy this way. I do condition rinses, so afterwards--I have a spray bottle with S-curl, pure glycerine and my shea butter leave in, I spray this all over my hair. I also use coconut and olive oil mixed together--I just put some all over my hair and scalp. Then I braid it up, into 2 braids. As for it coming out wavy on top, it's already kind of wavy, but I usually pin the sides up if I'm wearing my hair down, but on most days, I pin all my hair back into a protective style.

Titansgirl

Hi Tc_333. This is exactly the way I do my braid-outs!!
I end up w/ about 7 cornrows on my head... I normally do braid-outs when I'm 4 months into my relaxer... I love this look...

tc_333

Day 2 of my braidout

It's Friday and day 2 of my braidout. I used a little of my afro-sheen curl activator (I didn't like the feel of it) -- it didn't seem to have any effect; and then I put some oil on it. It looked okay, but I decided to pin up the sides before coming to work. Tonight, I'm going to roll up the ends using my small blue magnetic rollers and see if I can get another day out of my cute style!

T