tree braids as a Protective style?

LadyPaniolo

Has anybody on here done this? Has anyone done them on thier own head?

I'm really excited to try this style... my hair is getting a little long for individual braids (close to BSL :grin:) and I want something that allows me easier access to my scalp for washing and conditioning.

So where are my self-tree braiders? Anybody have pics, tips or tricks to share?

What's the best type of hair to use for this style?

niptuck

I wore tree braids for about 6 months taking them out for re-braiding every 5 weeks. My hair grew about 4 inches and I wasn't taking care of it as I should. This was pre-LHCF days. I plan on getting them again and taking care of my hair now that I know how. It is easy access to your scalp for applying growth aids, washing/conditions. I used real hair for a better look and manageability. I don't have any pictures but definitely a good protective style. Oh, the Africans are experts at tree braiding. I'm here in the ATL so they aren't hard to find.

Last edited:

Ramya

I get them 2-3 times a year. I've never had any problems with them. In fact I'm thinking about braiding up for the winter :)

LadyPaniolo

Wow, Niptuck, it soundsl like you got some crazy growth! While human hair might give a nicer look to the style, the budget is not sporting human hair money! :look: So I'm gonna use a higher grade synthetic.

Amerikan, I'm with you! Winter is a great time for braids, especially here in the Northeast... brrr.... And you can wear whatever hat you want when you have tree braids in without suffering breakage, right?

SamanthaJones67... why not try putting them in yourself? You could save some serious cash. I refuse to pay anyone else for braids. There may be a learning curve, but that's ok with me. Of course, if you have a more corporate job, you might not be comfortable coming in to work with home-made braids!

Lucky's Mom

Wow, Niptuck, it soundsl like you got some crazy growth! While human hair might give a nicer look to the style, the budget is not sporting human hair money! :look: So I'm gonna use a higher grade synthetic.

Amerikan, I'm with you! Winter is a great time for braids, especially here in the Northeast... brrr.... And you can wear whatever hat you want when you have tree braids in without suffering breakage, right?

SamanthaJones67... why not try putting them in yourself? You could save some serious cash. I refuse to pay anyone else for braids. There may be a learning curve, but that's ok with me. Of course, if you have a more corporate job, you might not be comfortable coming in to work with home-made braids!

Girl - I am in Grad School... NO mo' Corporate Amerika for me.....

I am thinking of buy the video.... I cannot cornrow. so that is a problem.

niptuck

Joyousnerd, if you can self tree braid go for it! Trying to do a single cornrow is a challenge for me. Yes, a higher grade of synthetic hair would look good as well.