Tried Kimmaytube's leave in??? Tell us about it!

fluffyforever

*sees video*: OMG...That is nasty... That was worse than my experience.

I thought it was my imagination that my aloe juice went moldy or that I had a very bad batch that wasn't bottled right. Kind of makes me not want to keep aloe juice around....Maybe I should try the gel form.

Mrs. Verde

So I checked my bottle of AVJ the other day and saw big clearish/ white globs floating at the bottom. I guess this is the "mold" others have referred to.

My bottle has been in the fridge the entire time so I have no idea what or how these things came to form.

They don't look like typical mold just like globs floating everywhere. *sigh*

Have to order a fresh new bottle now. :(

How long have you had that bottle?

MA2010

How long have you had that bottle?

I ordered the bottle from iherb.com in September of this year. Either it was a bad batch or iherb had it fermenting in some cave before they shipped it it me. :perplexed

*sees video*: OMG...That is nasty... That was worse than my experience.

I thought it was my imagination that my aloe juice went moldy or that I had a very bad batch that wasn't bottled right. Kind of makes me not want to keep aloe juice around....Maybe I should try the gel form.

Mine wasn't as bad as the video either. Did you purchase yours in store or online?

The woman in the video called it EXTRA healing :lachen:
:lol: She know she was wrong for that. They had hat bottle for a year though. :nono:

choctaw

I have tried the recipe with modifications i.e. substitute cantu shea butter leave-in or mane n tail for the creamy conditioner and substitute coconut oil for jojoba oil. I leave the mix in the refrigerator and it works fine.

afrikurl

AVJ from TJs has a food grade preservative in it.(I wanna say it's potassium sorbate?) I've had one of those gallons for over a year. The lily of the dessert one says to consume it within 45 days

joy6899

i liked it. i use water as my leave in anyway, but would seal it w/a plain oil. it worked. the kimmay leave in was good. i ended up using LTR for the leave in instead of knot today. my hair was soft and i "was" a 4a/b natural. now im texlaxed and its still cool

lilikoi

OK, Martha Stewart-type tip:

To avoid (nasty) mold, freeze your Aloe vera juice in an ice tray, store the cubes in a (labeled!) ziplock baggie. Remove from freezer as needed (zap in the microwave for a few secs to defrost. No. More. Mold.

nkb115

I've used it and I love it! It smooths my ends when I twist or braid my hair and helps with detangling after I co wash. I don't use her exact recipe though. I don't like to measure so I just eyeball and add as much coconut and jojoba oil as I want in addition to the aloe vera juice. I think as long as you mix a conditioner, oil and aloe vera the results should be pretty similar.

RadiantBeauty

This leave-in didn't work for my 4b hair, it caused more single strand knots. I researched and found out that aloe vera has protein and my hair is protein sensitive.

rufus12

Hi,
I loveeeeeeeeeee it!!!! I altered the recipe for my 3c, relaxed hair and did the following; Skala Shea butter leave-in, aloe vera juice(GNC brand), grapeseed oil, and sweet almond oil. This is my new staple, I was using Shescentit Coco-creme this, to me. is better, not softening but does the job.

fluffyforever

I ordered the bottle from iherb.com in September of this year. Either it was a bad batch or iherb had it fermenting in some cave before they shipped it it me. :perplexed

Mine wasn't as bad as the video either. Did you purchase yours in store or online?

I bought mine online. But I had opened it 3 months before I saw the mold. I definitely know that it was not moldy before hand because I looked at it at took a couple of sips to taste it.

Kinkyhairlady

I tried this and nothing special. My hair felt the same it would had I just put in the kcc alone. My hair is 4b and it did nothing for me.

ceecy29

This leave-in didn't work for my 4b hair, it caused more single strand knots. I researched and found out that aloe vera has protein and my hair is protein sensitive.

I tried this and nothing special. My hair felt the same it would had I just put in the kcc alone. My hair is 4b and it did nothing for me.

I cosign with the above. It made my hair feel so weird, like even more tightly coiled than it already is, which is trouble for my 4b hair. But I'd say that it made me discover my now staple leave in- KCKT. My hair loves knot today!!!

Geminigirl

I like it just fine alone, but i think the way she did it was to pretty much spread it out so you don't go through the expensive bottles as quickly. I love the way knot today makes my hair feel.

Hairlosophy

This leave in didn't work for me either because of the aloe vera (my hair is protein sensitive as well). I still follow the recipe somewhat, but leave out the aloe vera and add water for a thinner consistency.

Last edited:

RMichelleM

I've tried it and it was cool. It did not do a whole lot for my hair though. I think because I had already figured out what works to keep my hair moisturized this mixture did not make a huge difference for me. Also, I did realize that the mixture had too much oil in it for my hair (because my hair already retains moisture well), so I reduced the amouth of oil and it worked better.

Overall, I think it is a cool leave-in. I think i may continue to use the aloe vera juice but for me it is not a keeper just because what I have been doing already works just as well.

Dare~to~Dream

*Long Post*

This thread is old but I finally tried "my version" of the KimmayTube leave-in. I am not sure what took so long because I have been using aloe vera juice on my hair to "seal" the cuticles for YEARS now. I have long since stopped sealing my hair with raw oils/oil mixes so I wasn't exactly keen on the oils in the mix. I decided to listen to that little nudge inside that said to "just try it anyway" and I'm so glad that I did.

So like I said, I've been spritzing my hair with aloe vera juice for many years with an off year here or there. I got that idea from someone else on YouTube who used aloe vera gel to seal their leave-ins in their hair. I don't like gels that much and don't use them unless I have to so I began spritzing my hair with aloe vera juice instead. I would apply my leave-in conditioner then spritz by section or spritz my whole head at one time with aloe vera juice. I've used the aloe vera spritz with both spray and cream leave-in conditioners and thought it was working well. I prefer spray leave-ins because I feel the aloe vera juice works better with them. This year I have been using cream leave-in conditioners on my hair.

For my version of the mix, I only used one tablespoon of leave-in cream conditioners which was a mix of Voice of Hair 3 in 1 Leave-in Cream and Annabelle's Perfect Blend Extreme Hydration Leave-in Conditioner. These conditioners were a bit "meh" on their own so I started mixing them together with slightly better results but still not my ideal leave-ins. I just want to use them up before I move on to something else. However, mixing the conditioners and aloe vera juice together in a bowl with the added oils made all the difference. I used the inner fillet aloe vera juice because this is what I had and what I've been using for years. I think I ended up using the two whole tablespoons though I only used one tablespoon of the conditioners. I have pH test strips and it seemed to be fine when I tested the mixture. I cut the oils down to 1 tsp each and substituted extra virgin olive oil for the jojoba oil which I didn't have. Instead of regular castor oil, I used Jamaican black castor oil. Castor oil in general is so heavy on my fine my hair so next time I will go down to 1/2 tsp or may substitute with another light oil altogether. I also may try grapeseed oil for one of the oils because it is the one of the few oils that actually "sinks" into my hair strands without leaving an oily residue.

These were thick leave-ins that I used but they thinned out a good bit when I mixed everything together. I tried to mix everything as smooth as possible but there were a few small lumps that didn't want to mix. Nonetheless, applying this to my hair produced amazingly good results. I could tell the difference immediately! Just spritzing my hair with aloe vera juice all these years weren't doing my hair as much justice as I thought. It just makes more sense to mix the leave-in with the aloe vera juice than just spritzing it on top of my hair! My hair did feel a bit oily but I knew that I was going to blow dry it after I applied my heat protectant so that was my next "test." And this leave-in passed! I stopped air drying my hair back in February and while I love not having to go to bed with a wet/damp head, my hair was always a bit dried out whether I blow dried with the handheld or sat under the hooded dryer. I usually have to apply a non-water based hair balm after blow drying my hair before I braid or twist up for the night just to help get rid of the dry feeling on my strands. Well this time I didn't have to do that all! My hair was dry but not dried out! It still felt moisturized and very soft especially my ends--the most important part! I slept with my silk bonnet on overnight and this morning my ends still felt nice once I loosened my bantu knot. That was my second "test." This version of "Kimmaytube" leave-in is a winner. I may eventually try other leave-in conditioners for this mix including the one that's in the original recipe but for now I will finish what I have adding aloe vera juice and a just a tiny bit of oil.

Last edited: