Tried Kimmaytube's leave in??? Tell us about it!

iprocrz108

All ingredients can be found at WholeFoods.

- 1 oz (2 tablespoons) of Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave-In
- 2 tablespoons of Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Juice (Whole Leaf version)
- 2 teaspoons of Castor Oil
- 2 teaspoons of Jojoba Oil

Mix ingredients well and refrigerate.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I do not use her mix to the T. I substitute the castor oil for crisco oil and I use my Yes to Tomatoes conditioner in place of the Knot Today (I have a bottle.. but my hair does not like this at all).

I personally feel that the aloe vera juice is the magic in the mix.

My hair is moisturized for DAYS and my ends are not thirsty and wiry looking/feeling. My ends actually curl (think little coils) and I have not had any ssk since using the moisturizer

Came back to say (21 days later) that my mix is still a winner.

I also added some jojoba oil and Aphoghee EFA oil concentrate to my mix

HappilyLiberal

Any relax ladies using this? Is it too wet for relax hair?

I'm transitioning (18 weeks post). I am planning to use this before I rollerset. I will let ya'll know what happened with my relaxed ends since it is a given it will work OK with my roots.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
nikolite

You are correct it does not. When I was natural I was on so many websites (hers being one of them that I got the one of a few bases from, one of them had a homemade detangler that said to add 1 tsp avg/j to the mix. Well, since I did not want to make two batches I just thought to myself "I wonder how this would work if I combined them." The avg/j was not stated to aide in keeping the cuticle smooth/ph balancer it was just one of the ingredients. I tried it and I liked it and then I adjusted it over the years so I would have a larger batch.

I was not doing a one to one ratio like kimmay was, since hearing about kimmay's and seeing that she basically did a 1:1 ratio, I tweaked the recipe I had yet again, initially I was only adding maybe 1/4-1/2cup. Doing it with the 1:1 ration has made my DD's hair look even better than it was before. I know just add water to it to thin it out. I stopped adding glycerin to it back in 2008 because I didnt like how it made our hair feel.

I could not for the life of me figure out where I found the homemade detangler, I finally found it, it was from this site: Natural Hair Detangler Recipe

I've tried it too but can't find the right combination conditioner to use yet. Like I tried the Knot today, cantu, the herbal essence, the kbb hair milk, the garnier stuff, the aussie moist and so on but my hair feels like straw with it. Maybe I'm having a reaction to something else like over protein or the weather changing drastically. I will try it again in the spring but I hope she bottles it and sells it, I would love to try one that I don't have to mix, getting costly for me.

Oh and for some odd reason mine doesn't last longer than a week in the fridge before it spoils. Guess I'm not good at the mixing game, lol

In response to the bolded part above, I noticed on her YouTube channel that she's in the process of product development and my guess is that her leave-in condish will be the first product that she puts out there.

Mrs. Verde

Thank-you!!! Using my phone. No thanks button.
All ingredients can be found at WholeFoods.

- 1 oz (2 tablespoons) of Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave-In
- 2 tablespoons of Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Juice (Whole Leaf version)
- 2 teaspoons of Castor Oil
- 2 teaspoons of Jojoba Oil

Mix ingredients well and refrigerate.

baddison

natural for good
Has anyone tried Jamaican Black Castor Oil instead of the clear castor oil?
Also, are you ladies adding this to freshly washed hair, too? I'm thinking of airdrying my relaxed hair with this mix....sounds like it would airdry wonderfully.

chelleyrock

I tried a modified method (using Giovanni Direct leave-in). I also used Jamaican Black Castor Oil instead of regular castor oil. My results were more on the watery side, which was probably due to the fact that Giovanni Direct leave-in already having aloe vera in it.

I applied it to freshly washed hair, put in two strand twists and let it airdry overnight. My twists were soft, supply and shiny.

naturalmanenyc

I have tried this mix with a few different conditioners & leave-ins and so far it works nearly the same.

I had been using:
Aloe vera juice
castor oil
grapeseed oil
leave-in of choice

In addition to all the conditioners noted below, I have tried Herbal Essenses Totally Twisted conditioner; HE Long Term Relationship leave-in (a bit watery); HE None of Your Frizziness leave-in (thicker mix) and
Garnier Fructis Length & Strength leave-in (watery).

I have finally used Knot Today leave-in AND I finally bought jojoba oil. The Knot Today mix with jojoba oil is super creamy (about as creamy as the Aussie Moist mix). I am not sure if it's the Knot Today or the jojoba oil that made the difference.

I will test it out a few more times with jojoba oil and different leave-ins to see which leave-in works best. I have never tried Knot Today on its own. I only bought it because I had a gift card for Target from work. I'm pretty frugal and do not usually spend $12 on an 8 oz product. I also plan to use Suave Shea & Almond conditioner to see how that mixes.

I tried it a few times and do find that it works to make the hair immeidately smoother. I think the Aloe Vera juice and castor oil are the key ingredients. I use aloe vera juice, castor oil, grapeseed oil and various conditioners/leave-ins.

I first tried it with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner and it worked great. I twisted my hair for the night, wore a pony puff to work the next day and my hair was moisturized all day - my loose hair. I then used Aussie Moist conditioner as the base and that also worked great. I wore my loose hair out and then twisted it at night. I was able to use the Aussie Moist mix once over the course of 2 days, without having to add more. That was on my twisted hair, not loose hair. My ends have been looking/feeling great. I have not noticed anywhere near as many single strand knots....hardly any at all since around 9/22 when I started using the mix.

I am currently using Hawaiian Silky as a base just to see if it works, and it does although it's not anywhere near as creamy. My hair is in a puff right now and feels moisturized. My hair has been loose all day. I will twist it tonight though after spritzing with water and adding more of my leave-in mix. I plan to try Herbal Essences Totally Twisted conditioner for my next mix.

Missjae09

I just used Kimmay's leave in... Instead of Knot Today, which i also love, I used Cantu Shea butter leave in. Its wonderful!!! I did feel oil in my hair after it dried (I think I used a little too much) but my hair has pretty much soaked it all up. I love this conditioner and I will continue to use it. My hair was super soft and i really liked the way it looked.

I've used aloe vera juice in my hair before (as a spritz with water) and though I know it's moisturizing I was not pleased with the results. It left my hair feeling a bit dry (I think)... but it works wonders in Kimmay's concoction.

Also ladies as a side note, I've found that jojoba oil works awesome when I'm wearing my hair straight.. it gives me moisture without weighing my hair down. when my hair is pressed i can literally put a drop or 2 of jojoba oil in my hair and it moisturizes nicely. below is a pic of my hair after a drop of the oil after I'd unwraped my hair. (one drop does the trick for my 4a/b short med density hair). also jojoba oil is very close to sebum so its not supposed to be very heavy. 2010-10-07 06.35.01.jpg2010-10-07 06.35.26.jpg

Truth

works lovely for my hair...used it on airdried hair before a flatiron...it came out flawless.... used coconut oil instead of jojoba...my hair and jojoba oil ..iono the jury is still out on it.......

AfroKink

Her recipe doesn't have aloe vera in it. Where did you get the idea to add aloe vera to yours?

Ladies on the haircare boards have been mixing aloe juice and gel into products for years. Not so much on this site, but on NP.com there is a big homemade product section. Many have gone to aloe (and flax) as a natural alternative to commercial gel. Aloe can be used to substitute for water in any spritz recipe. In any event people have been using aloe for its moisturizing and cleansing properties since before the internet.

Anywho. I tried the leave-in with my Hawaiian Silky. It made my hair sticky which lead to tangles. I figured it was because I didn't use Knot Today. Since it didn't perform better than my Hawaiian Silky sealed with oil I didn't give it a second chance. I didn't want to suffer a setback for a bandwagon.

Afro!

Amerie2304

I tried it this weekend - followed the recipe to a T. Umm...IDK. For one, it really didn't seem like enough for my whole head and my hair is only 4 inches. I think I easily could have used 2 oz of knot today opposed to just 1 but I wanted to follow the recipe exactly. After applying it, my hair still didn't feel like it was moisturized enough so I added some argan oil to it. When I started to apply kkcc which I normally do, it felt weird, like the gel was just sitting on top of my hair but not actually penetrating it. I eventually got it to work but it took me double the time because I had to keep going over each curl multiple times. I don't think I'll be trying it again. :sad: My hair is 4A btw.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I've tried it and I really like it. I used Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner as my base because it has the same ph as Knot today. I need to make a batch tonight for my wash tomorrow.

djkforeal

I thought you were only supposed to use conditioners that are for leave-in purposes and not regular rinse out conditioners for this recipe? Anyway, I just bought the beyond the zone split end mender leave in conditoner and I plan on making this recipe this weekend because my shipment from vitacost.com has not arrived yet, but I will post the results here and on my blog in the near future.

Missjae09

I used the cheap one from walmart and it worked just fine. I think the pH in the cheaper one may be a little higher however I'm still pleased with the results I got conditioner.

Janet'

I just used Kimmay's leave in... Instead of Knot Today, which i also love, I used Cantu Shea butter leave in. Its wonderful!!! I did feel oil in my hair after it dried (I think I used a little too much) but my hair has pretty much soaked it all up. I love this conditioner and I will continue to use it. My hair was super soft and i really liked the way it looked.

I've used aloe vera juice in my hair before (as a spritz with water) and though I know it's moisturizing I was not pleased with the results. It left my hair feeling a bit dry (I think)... but it works wonders in Kimmay's concoction.

Also ladies as a side note, I've found that jojoba oil works awesome when I'm wearing my hair straight.. it gives me moisture without weighing my hair down. when my hair is pressed i can literally put a drop or 2 of jojoba oil in my hair and it moisturizes nicely. below is a pic of my hair after a drop of the oil after I'd unwraped my hair. (one drop does the trick for my 4a/b short med density hair). also jojoba oil is very close to sebum so its not supposed to be very heavy. View attachment 99013View attachment 99011

Missjae09 Okokokokok...You might have convinced me to try this Jojoba oil because your hair is SUPER shiny!!!

upliftedjw

I've tried it. Loved it. Still using it lol. I substitute the Knot Today with Suave Coconut, Giovanni, or Talia Waahjid (whatever i have in stock at the time). All have worked great for my 4a/b hair. I would suggest to only put it on freshly washed, clean hair b/c I did it once after a cowash and it came out soapy on my hair when I applied it. It dried fine though :-/

I've also put my hair in two strand flat twists one time and did not moisturize for a week. When I took them out, my hair was still super soft and moisturized so A+ to this concoction.

Note to self: Im not gonna test my hair again tho by not moisturizing/sealing for a week lol..silly me

~~HoneyComb~~

Also ladies as a side note, I've found that jojoba oil works awesome when I'm wearing my hair straight.. it gives me moisture without weighing my hair down. when my hair is pressed i can literally put a drop or 2 of jojoba oil in my hair and it moisturizes nicely. below is a pic of my hair after a drop of the oil after I'd unwraped my hair. (one drop does the trick for my 4a/b short med density hair). also jojoba oil is very close to sebum so its not supposed to be very heavy. View attachment 99013View attachment 99011

Your hair looks beautiful!!

Jojoba oil is the only oil I use to straighten my hair--it gets shiny & sleek without being overly greasy--my flat-ironed hair has lasted 3 weeks, too.

TwistNMx

I thought you were only supposed to use conditioners that are for leave-in purposes and not regular rinse out conditioners for this recipe? Anyway, I just bought the beyond the zone split end mender leave in conditoner and I plan on making this recipe this weekend because my shipment from vitacost.com has not arrived yet, but I will post the results here and on my blog in the near future.
Nah! That's only a marketing ploy. They want you to spend more $$.
I use the CLM technique and it's been quite successful for me now for a few months.
Nope>I wouldn't ever change a thing. So with that said, there are certain conditioners that aren't leave-ins allowed in this technique. I'm lovin' it!

Jaffa

I've tried it and I love it! I've followed her whole regime (washing detangling etc) to the letter and have fallen in love with my natural hair all over again. My 4a/b hair is super soft and easy to handle. I normally braid my hair up over the winter but i'm loving seeing my natural hair in all it's glory thanks to this recipe.
Initially I used olive oil instead of castor oil and Cantu instead of Knot Today. I've recently obtained the Knot Today and used her exact recipe. The consistency of the mix is creamier but the results so far are more or less the same although the Knot Today would be my number 1 choice.
Definately a keeper mix for me

pringe

Ok, so i've been doing Kimmay's leave in for about 3 months n i love it! when i started it, i did it with giovanni direct and substituted jojoba for olive oil and it was a good mix. I started using jojoba and i liked it even more. It makes my hair shiny, soft and smooth. My curls pop everytime!

I now am using the bear fruit hair leave in from AfricanExport. I still like it but I do love kimmay's conditioner!

MeowMix

Tried it and love it. Use KCKT as the base. I put distilled water in my mix and then use as a leave in spray. Trying to stretch the KCKT. This recession has got its foot on my neck!

Nasdaq_Diva

Finally got around to purchasing the Aloe Juice (accidently got the inner leaf) I'm about to mix it up now. I'm going to us Giovanni Smooth as Silk (I dont like this condish) but I'm hoping the added ingredients help make it great together.

lilsparkle825

Still use it. Still switch up the leave-ins I use as a base, although I plan on going back to GDLI and trying the KCKT soon. Still love it.

fluffyforever

I like the leave-in. I used Giovanni Direct as a base and I like it more than when I used KCKT as a base. Either way, the leave-in leaves my hair softer when air dry.

My only problem is storing the aloe vera juice in the refrigerator and keeping away mold. I was in the process of making my next batch for immediate use, and when I poured out the aloe, chunks of mold came plumping out. Nasty. How long does it take you to go through a bottle of aloe vera? Does anyone know the time to expiration?

I was thinking that maybe I just had a bottle for way too long (I bought it for the conditioner, but haven't been making the leave in as much as I should have been). Or maybe I should just by a smaller bottle (16oz instead of 32oz). Any thoughts?