Trim Before or After the Relaxer/Texturizer?

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by OneInAMillion, Mar 11, 2006.

1. OneInAMillion

OneInAMillion New Member

Hi Ladies,

I'm struggling with some uneven ends over here and I know I need a trim (it's been about 5 months, so I knew it was coming :lol: ). I'm not planning on getting a texturizer for another month, but I'm going to get my roots blown out in the mean time. Should I just go ahead and dust my ends before the texturizer, or should I wait till after? I typically just do both at the same time, but I'm just wondering if it's worth it to wait?

2. MizaniMami

MizaniMami New Member

I would do it AFTER the relaxer. Newgrowth never grows in even. So if you did it before, right after you relax and that new growth is straight it would just be uneven again. I hope you see what I'm saying;)

3. WesternEyes

WesternEyes New Member

I would do it before. If you notice that you are having split ends. Better to cut them now, before they start splitting more up the hair shaft.

4. Healthb4Length

Healthb4Length New Member

I agree with MizaniMami, you should do it after the touch-up. You only see your stretched newgrowth after the relaxer, if you do it before you may cut too much or too little off.

5. Faith

Faith New Member

Alberta Bound, Alberta Bound, it's good to be Albe
    Do it after when all the hair is straighter.

6. OneInAMillion

OneInAMillion New Member

Thanks, I guess I'll wait till after, but in the meantime, I'll do hot oil treatments and make sure I keep it protected until I get it done. Any other tips? Oh, and does this splitting up the hair shaft actually occur? I've really never gone on this long w/o a trim, but I've never gone this long without a relaxer either.

7. Healthb4Length

Healthb4Length New Member

My #1 tip regarding chemicals is, before you do a relaxer you should do a deep protein treatment a week before you get your touch up. Something like Aphogee or Nexxus's Emergencee is very good. A week after your relaxer you should follow with a light protein treatment as well.

8. MizAvalon

MizAvalon Well-Known Member

I recommend waiting until after as well.