Trimming/Cutting your own hair... Instructions?

CaribbeanQueen

I have been trying to search for threads on doing your own trims but I guess the word 'trim' is so common that the search tool freezes...

Can you please post any instructions on how to do your own trims/cuts or tutorials... thanks. :)

I have been trying to search for threads on doing your own trims but I guess the word 'trim' is so common that the search tool freezes...

Can you please post any instructions on how to do your own trims/cuts or tutorials... thanks. :)

I trim my own hair. I'm about three full inches from APL right now. I start in the back and clip the rest up. I trim evenly across the back. I pull the hanging hair over my shoulders and do a mini-trim.

I take off less than an eyelash LENGTH of hair at a time, that way no mistakes. Almost like "dusting".

Then I section across (from ear to ear) and comb...heading to the crown of my head and trimming as I go.

If I'm doing layers. I part my hair so that it's half up and half down. I put the top in a ponytail holder and trim evenly to give myself two layers, then I take the same hair down and make sure it hangs evenly.

I do all trimming on flat-ironed hair, the straighter the hair, the better the trim. I trim when needed. But I'm trying to grow my hair out, so my last trim was in February.

Oh I forgot to mention that after it's all is said and done I hang my head to the right and comb the hair straight down (it usually falls in an angle) then I cut along that length to even things up and do the same for the other side. I like blunt cut ends. This step is not necessary unless you prefer blunt cut ends.

I've been doing my own trims for two years now. My hair loves me for it too!

Back