Trimming Question

KinkyCurly

I am a newbie and I am thoroughly enjoying this site. I just read about NayNay's horrible hair experience and it got me thinking about trimming hair. I tried to trim my own hair about a month ago. As you can guess, without experience, or know how it didn't go too well--but at least the ends are free of splits.

My question is this. Who trims your hair? Could I teach a friend to do the trim? What technique do you use?

KinkyCurly

Peachtree

Hi KinkyCurly

Welcome to the board

Dear, I am one of those "self trimmers" & I know that Supergirl is too

My technique is really short & to be honest, there really isn't much thought that goes into it...

1) After applying leave in conditioner to my freshly washed hair, I section the hair in 4's (2 on each side), sometimes 6 (3 on each side) sections

2) Hold sectioned hair between fingers

3) In 1 steady motion, trim away the "see through-ish" ends.

It's not pretty, but it works for me

I'm sure other's have better techniques.

Armyqt

Welcome KinkyCurly
. I'm a self duster, I let my mom do the trims. I just take sections of my hair, like when rollersetting, and dust offf a very small amount. basically it's cleaning up the ends a lil without taking too much off. This way there isn't a ntoiceable difference in the length of the hair overall and it keeps the hair looking healthy. I do this as needed and try to avoid trims as much as possible. I always do this on dry hair. hth

KinkyCurly

Hello ladies and thank you for the responses. I am definitely leaning toward continuing to do my own trims. I did it before on my hair after it was blow dried. Armyqt do you flat iron the hair first? And Peachtree do you just dust a bit off of the hair when it is wet?

Armyqt

No I don't flat iron the hair first. I try to let it airdry and then section small sections like doing a rollerset.

sylviaetc

kinkycurly: i just trimmed my hair for the first time after getting tired of waiting for my sister to get her act together and do it for me. lol i was so proud, but terrified. i think i took of a inch; wayyyy to much for my taste.but as someone posted before, "it all grows back."
if you can develope a technique that suits you then do it! i'll never go back to another stylist after this last "woman" cut all of my hair off. good luck!
to trim mine i parted it in the middle then starting in back, i trimmed a little off each section as i parted it to oil my scalp. *L* i'm still working on my techinique.

LondonDiva

I do mine on dry hair. I part my hair into small sections and dust/trim twice a year. I comb it through and look at the ends I only take off a small section maybe 1/4 inch max. It's not to even up any hair as luckily for me I have a pretty even shape, it's just to clip any thin scraggily ends. It's so small you won't notice it over all.

If you're that nervous start clipping your hair from the bottom, there for you're only shaving little hair off. If you hold the scissors at a certain point then cut it could be a disaster. It's messier but more effective.

Good Luck

EmeraldSky

I dust my own ends periodically, but for trims I have a professional do it. I had trimmed my own hair but a friend of mine made me get a professional trim about a month later telling me that there is a difference even though I swore there wasn't. Anyway my stylist used a technique for cutting which involved parting in a particular pattern, holding at an angle, etc. anyway the result was that my hair looked much, much fuller than before. I think the fact that the thin and split ends were gone made a huge difference also because she cut all the hair evenly it made my hair appear much thicker than before. Also the tecnique she used allowed her to trim even the shorter strands which I missed. I would recommend doing the dusting yourself and having the trims done by a profesional you can trust.

KinkyCurly

I like the idea of dusting myself and going to a stylist as needed for trims. I also like the idea of trimming only 1/4 of an inch as needed. I DO need my hair to be shaped a little, and I know a qualified professional will be able to get it looking nice. After all that I have read here I will be on high alert when I go for my next trim (which I don't expect to do for many months). My hair has grown quite a bit in the last few months and I realize that the stylist I was going to who claimed she could "grow hair" wasn't doing anything for my hair.