Trimming....I don't understand

Compassion

Trimming....I don\'t understand

Greetings ladies,

I've been reading a lot about trimming ends, and understand that it is not required unless you have damage. I have not trimmed my ends in about 6-8 months, but have continued to moisturize, condition and wash at least twice weekly. I've been told by two hair stylists that I did not need a trim, each time I visit. The top of my hair does not look the same as the bottom. The ends are thinner, and they do not stay together at the bottom once combed. The ends are thin and almost fly away, although I do not see any split ends. So I went to a new stylist trying to find an answer. This stylist is fairly reputable, she cares for my pastor's wife's hair (and her hair is da bomb). Anyway, the new stylist said that my ends need to be trimmed more often, in order to retain thickness from the root to the end. What are you thoughts on this?? I guess maybe my hair is just different??
I dunno. I'm trying to retain length. The new stylist said that I will still achieve length with periodic trims. Well, my pastor's wife's hair seems to be doing fine. Maybe there is hope for me. Sooooo, I'm getting a big cut on Thursday.
My hair now is at the top of my back. She said that she is going to cut as much as I can stand.
What are you thoughts on this please?? Thank you kindly.

Blessings,
Compassion

aqualung

Re: Trimming....I don\'t understand

No big haircut! Get a trim of 1/8 to 1/4 inch from one of your 2 reluctant stylists, not the big chopper. Let's take baby steps here, not giant leaps for mankind.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
No big haircut! Let's take baby steps here, not giant leaps for mankind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

G

Got to the scissor happy stylist threads. And then rethink.

If she told you that "I will still achieve length with periodic trims" that's not true. I would ask her to explain futher.

Ends are the oldest part and the part that takes the most beating, If I were you I'd start with 1/2 inch and see how that looks. I got a trim recently and in the front and certain strand all over there is split which is higher up if they cut to compensate those then I'd have very little hair.

Think of a "Fringed" rug. The ends fray and wear over time if you clip the ends, they look nice BUT over time those are gonna fray, so it's gettin shorter and shorter. The only saving grace with hair is it does grow so it will even itself out. But you need to only let her cut off just enough. Or your gonna end up with more hair lossed than you want.

HotCoCoGurl130

i do believe that you have to trim every once in a while to level out your hairs thickness but if you take care of your hair you should only have to cut 1/4 of an inch every 3-? months. dont listen to hairdressers just listen to yourself b/c you are your own expert

Compassion

Thanks ladies, every thing you've said makes sense. I've been around these boards for a little while now, so I've read all the boards about trimming ends. And as a result, I did not think that one HAD to trim with every relaxer. I dunno. ((BIG SIGH)) I'll just have her trim a one inch or so I guess. It's just that the bottom of my hair (the ends rather) does not stay together once it's been combed, you know like it does when wet. And it's thin like "doll hair" I've been told. I believe what every one here has said about infrequent trimmings. I'm just trying to figure out why my hair strand is thinner on the ends. Well, anyway thanks a lot ladies.

Blessings,
Compassion

adrienne0914

i agree with a slight trim, maybe 1/2". i think 1" is too much. rome wasn't built in a day. why "fix" your hair in that time? lol!

how do you wear your hair on a daily basis? i think that plays a big part in thinning ends. if you have alot of friction with clothes, and exposure to the elements (which can cause the ends to become brittle and break), it's much more difficult to maintain thickness. i'm about to put my hair back up for this very reason. i know i'll need a trim the next time i get my hair did. sigh...

mspretty

I too suffer from this problem,but I do not like to trim my hair at all! Recently I broke down and trimmed about 1or 1 1/2 inches off and it made a dramatic difference to my hair-it looks so much better and I grew back the inch plus more in only a month!-so I am glad I did it, but I would agree with the previous posters, to not trim to much a inch or two at the most.

nita4

Hi Compassion
I have to agree with the ladies on the gradual trims. Just keep your ends moisturized and protected.

In the past the my ends would get thin and see through as my hair got longer?? I would cut and eventually they would be the same. Now I think gradual trims along with keeping them moisturized & protected is better.

Listen to Adrienne, she's got it going on with the ends. Now if I can only get that phoney pony on my head correctly.

Also, recently I cut 1 inch off "thinking" that it would take care of my split ends for awhile, but it didn't. I'm still seeing them!!
So, now I know to trim gradually, moisturize my ends, keep my length & hopefully maintain my thickness.

Best to you.

Compassion

Thanks for the responses ladies. Supergirl, I appreciate your sharing the website, I'ma check it out in a minute. Adrienne...
I wear my hair down, and then sometimes up. At work I usually wear it up because the temperature is usually one of two different extremes. When I am not at work, I wear it down most often. I'm thinking about getting a pony tail for the winter. That may help add some variety to my protective styles. Ms. Pretty, I feel like you. I don't ever really want to trim my hair. I went back and looked at some pictures of my hair from years ago. I had a stylist that trimmed my hair with EVERY relaxer. My strands were the same thickness from the root to the tip. BUT, my hair length remained right around the base of my neck for the longest time.
So I dunno, I'll have to see. I DO know that my ends are NOT split now...just thinner than the root. EVERY stylist that I go to, is INTENT on trimming with each relaxer. And if you tell them that that is not what you want, then they get an attitude with you. My city does not offer many stylists to choose from either. I try my best not to anger my stylist, and still get what I desire. That has not been very easy to do, however. I don't want them working on my hair with an attitude. So I guess I'll discuss with her come Thursday what her suggestions are for my hair, and then I'll tell her what I will desire and what I will agree to. Maybe the pony tail method that Adrienne uses will help me. Thanks again ladies. I really appreciate it.

Blessings,
Compassion

A_Christian

I agree with the advice eyerone else gave to you. I also urge you not to let your stylist "cut as much as you can stand" that most likely means that she will make your hair much shorter than you want. Just let her know that you'd rather have gradual trims.