Trimming natural 4B hair??

HairFanatic01

Hello everyone. I have been wearing cornrows on and off for almost two years and I was wondering if it was necessary to trim the ends of my natural 4B hair after my stylist blow-dries it? My stylist says I don't need it because I have too much new growth in with the relaxed hair. PLZZZ HELP!!

TinyT

I don't understand is all your hair natural or relaxed? You said ends of natural 4b hair, but then you said something about new growth and a relaxer. Just trying to get a clear picture.

Tracy

HairFanatic01

Sorry for the misunderstanding.......
I mean my hair is almost completely natural. I guess m ends are relaxed. So yeah I guess I'm in the transitioning stage.

TinyT

ok...I get it. Well so here's the plan of attack.

If you are trying to trim more relaxed ends off, the easiest way to do this is to wet the hair and then trim, that way you can clearly see where the natural hair is and the relaxed hair is. Cause when i chopped the first time, I still had relaxed ends that i didn't couldn't see when my natural 4b hair dried. Cut off as much as you feel comfortable with. The way I did this was to section my hair in 4 sections and put each in a bun and clip it. Then take down one section, and part it into smaller section and clip as much as you want. if your hair starts to dry, just mist the section with a spray bottle. After you finish the section, pin it back and do the others.

Once you are completly natural there are different ways to trim. There is the twist and trim technique: basically put hair in 2 strand twists with damp hair, and when they dry, trim the ends of each twist. Now because some hair strands curl up more, the hair may not be exactly even, but if you aren't blowdrying, that probably isn't necessary.

You can also have the hair blow or pressed lightly and then trim, and then wet it to get back to your natural texture. But be sure the pressing is light, because some peices might straighten permanently. Also you can just do the section thing with natural hair.

On my natural hair I do the sections, but sometimes if I see a crazy hair when it's twisted I might snip at it, but usually i don't. Since I have been taking care of my ends, i only seem to trim every 4-6 months. Hope this helps.

Tracy

HairFanatic01

I mean what I'm saying IS... will my ends break off anyways if I dont cut the relaxed parts off???? Because I was wondering would my hair break anyways.
((SORRY FOR ASKING SO MANY QUESTIONS, BUT I'M KIND OF NOT EDUCATED ON THIS STUFF HERE PEOPLE))

TinyT

Ok so maybe I am confused, What are you trying to trim. Most times when a trim is mentioned, the ends are trimmed, not matter how much you are trying to trim. Are you trying to trim the middle of your hair ( I am so very confused). Help me understand. Sorry for this back and forth, but I don't understand the situation.

Tracy

HairFanatic01

OK....... IM SO SORRY
MY LAST PERM WAS LAST YEAR ((DECEMBER 02)).
I asked my stylist if she could trim my hair and she told me that my hair didn't need to be trimmed because I'm still wearing cornrows. Then she said that I have a lot of new growth in with the relaxed hair and that the relaxed hair would break off anyways....

does that clear it up some??

TinyT

Oh, you want to know if you can transition with minimal sheading and breakage, and with out trimming to much or not trimming at all. This is kinda a trial and error thing. When i transistioned, I didn't have a board like this or nappturality at first, and so I didn't know how to handle the 2 textures and had lots of breakage. But when I found the hair boards, i found that I could transistion with minimal damage, as long as I found a way to keep the new growth moisturized. Conditioner washes worked very well to keep the newgrowth somewhat manageable, also the cornrows is a very good thing because you don't want to manipulated the hair to much. Protective styles are best for hair health when 2 textures are invloved. If your hair isn't breaking keep doing what you are doing. If it does, a trim, or protein treatment followed by a moisturizing conditioner may be in order. Hope this helps.

good luck
Tracy

HairFanatic01

SO BASICALLY... I wanted her to trim my hair because I thought that I might have had split ends. So I guess now the question is ..... should I cut the relaxed parts off or just wait until it breaks off ((if that method is correct))??????

HairFanatic01

THANX SOOOOOOOOO MUCH.... I'M SORRY FOR THE LOOP HOLES. YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP. I mean it kept getting on my nerves because I didn't know whether she just didn't want to trim or what!!!

HairFanatic01

ok -ok...I understand that .....
I mean I use ORS carrot oil, uplifting shampoo, WGO and I take supplements so I've definetely have been trying.

Peachi

I met a lady on the train yesterday who wanted to know if I cut my ends of (when growing out my perm) or did I let it fall off?
Well I started growing it out when I was 13yrs and I had no idea of the whole "natural hair" bizness. I wore soo many braids much, you woulda thought I was Brandy.
Eventually, after all that braiding my permed ends just fell off. I never actually trimmed them off.

But now after 10yrs of being natural, I gave myself a trim last night (trying to save money,instead of paying a hairdresser). I washed my hair on saturday and I did a braidout each day until yesterday (so my hair was nicely stretched). I bought a trim scissor and got to trimming. It wasn't all even but I got rid of the snaggy ends.

What I did was part my hair straight down the middle, and I made two packed afro-puffs. I then started trimming one side (puff), which took about 15mins to part into small sections and trim.

I was happy with my results.

HairFanatic01

ok.... thanx.......... I guess I'll just let it grow out in my cornorws......AND I WAS LOOKING AT YOR REGIMEN PEACHI.... about how much protein does your whey protein shake has and do you see in growth????????

Peachi

HairFan,

My Whey protein has 20g of protein per scoop. I take it for muscle development but once I started reading about protein shake for hair, I just included it (here) as part of my regimen. But it's used more for my workout regimen. I haven't noticed any growth due to it, but then again that's because I never paid any attention.

I do have new growth but I owe that to the AminoHair pills.