TYPE 4 NATURALS! How do you define your curls?

davisbr88

Hi, ladies:
A friend of mine recently did a BC and has what seems to be a mixture of 4a/4b hair. She is having trouble defining her hair/elongating her curls.
Today she clarified with baking soda and an acv rinse, conditioned with V05, and tried to shingle her hair with HS 14-in-1 and IC gel. As previously stated, she is having a hard time and the shingling doesn't seem to be working. What do type 4a/4b ladies do in order to define the natural curl pattern? She would prefer to not have to always twist, but she will take all suggestions.
Thank you!

GaiasDaughter24

I'm 4 a/b. I moisturize and seal with Scurl and castor oil. Then I define my curls with EcoStyler while still wet. I love how it comes out. Defined and shiny.

MzK

I'm still trying to find a product to do the same. Curls when wet, but after it dries, ....frizzy curly city!

I've tried KCCC, but............::nono::

I've yet to do a WNG because of this

Last edited:

Sapphire_chic

Ecostyler gel keeps it from shrinking too much after it dries. rake through wettish hair, not the most definition but enough

gennatay

I use a mix of a good leave-in with glycerine and Eco-Styler gel. I don't touch it again until its dry or I'll have a frizzies.

AmyRose92

Last night I used Ecostyler Olive Oil gel and tried the shingling method but it came out to a hot mess, and this was after I had prepooed, washed, DCed, and rinsed! I know I was doing something wrong but I don't know what. :ohwell:

DeepBluSea

When my hair was shorter my wash n go's were basically a fro.:spinning:

I would try coil outs or twists outs for the coily look.

Shun34

On my hair, KCCC seems to work the best, but it took trial and error to get it right. I'm testing Uncle Funky's Daughter Curl Activator Gel. It's ok, a little sticky and tacky feeling on my hair.

Filmatic

Mine come out of the shower defined but I put in Lustrasilk sealed with Crisco for frizz.

No gels ever worked for elongating. All of them made my hair too hard so I just put my hair in 4 ponytails til my hair is 80% then I carefully take them down and just fluff the roofs.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Shingling will never work for some people. She may be going for a look that isn't possible with her hair type

Tene

I use Eco Styler, Carol's Daughter Hair Milk, Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter, and SheaMoisture Curl Enchancing Smoothie.

Princess246

I use KCCC. I also use Beauty By Donna Marie either The Lock & Twist Pudding, and set my hair in twists and rock a twist out. Although the latest batch looks different so.......:perplexed or the Miracurl Curling Gelly for a wash and go. My avatar pic is with I believe the Curling Gelly.

Sapphire_chic

Mine come out of the shower defined but I put in Lustrasilk sealed with Crisco for frizz.

No gels ever worked for elongating. All of them made my hair too hard so I just put my hair in 4 ponytails til my hair is 80% then I carefully take them down and just fluff the roofs.

This sounds like a really good method. I have been looking to quit ecostyler because my hair doesn't like too much glycerin. I just need it to stretch abit more as it dries than it does loose :drunk: