UGH!! Has this happened to any of you??

While growing out hair, did you hate the look sometimes?

• YES

Votes: 67 91.8%
  • NO

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ivytresses

Did you go through a phase where you didn't like your hair? As it was growing out were there times when it seemed there was NOTHING you could do to make it behave the way you wanted to? I have stretched 8 weeks and there is new growth definitely, but this stage that it's going through is frustrating. I used heat one day skipped and used it again. I feel like I am :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:!!! Bantu knots were not too bad. Disregard my siggy pic. That was about 2 weeks ago at the Dominican shop. I just look a hot mess now and it seems to just frizz up as soon as I step out of the door. SHEESH!!!! Especially the hair around my shoulder. I got my Bun "Emerald 1B" and am ready to go but need to get my BFF to show me how to do this. I really hate my hair right now and all I want to do is to get to Arm Pit Land :rolleyes: (someday).

Ms. A.Sunshine

Your hair is very pretty...maybe in these summer months you should skip the heat and wear protective styles...I had my hair down one day last week and was so frustrated because the heat and humidity had me looking like a mad woman...HTH!

Ladybug33

Don't be frustrated, your hairs looks great. When it gets humid out just put it up with a clip and play up your make up.

When I can't get my hair right I figure I'll work on something else :lachen:

Your hair looks really thick, I'm sure a lazy updo would look cute.

Ivytresses

Is there a gallery of updos that I can check out?? Are "lazy" updos easy to "DIY" so I don't have to pay nobody :)?

MonPetite

Absolutely, relaxed, natural and texlaxed. When I got to the point where I wanted to buzz-cut I often clarified, did a protein treatment, did a moisture treatment, added a shine rinse (all in one night) and then made myself leave it alone for a few days.

By then I appreciated it again and it was healthier for it.

ajacks

I understand the feeling especially when stretching. Your hair is gorgeous, and I know there are a lot of styling options for you. For summer months I love braid outs and messy buns.

Ladybug33

Is there a gallery of updos that I can check out?? Are "lazy" updos easy to "DIY" so I don't have to pay nobody :)?

I think someone recently started a thread on cute updo's. Try a quick search.

But girl please, My idea of a lazy updo is grabbing my hair like I am about to put it in a pony tail and literally pinning it up with a bobby pin or hair claw- Nothin Special- but it works

panamoni

YES, I am totally with you. I'm going to be 16 weeks post on Saturday, and I've been feeling so frustrated lately. I really want to make it to APL, and would like to stretch my relaxer longer, but it's hard. The new growth has exploaded. Today, I was determined to do somehting that made me feel a little better about my appearance. I made my bun as low as possible close to the neck, it looks more elegant today. But, I've been so frustrated with my edges.

There's also a thread on 52 Weeks of protective styling. Also, StellaB has a thread called Mane Taming which might help.

Ivytresses

Absolutely, relaxed, natural and texlaxed. When I got to the point where I wanted to buzz-cut I often clarified, did a protein treatment, did a moisture treatment, added a shine rinse (all in one night) and then made myself leave it alone for a few days.

By then I appreciated it again and it was healthier for it.

What products did you use for this ritual. I am about to do the mass removal of products that I don't use. Ask friends if they would like to use them and then SIMPLIFY my world by only having the products that I need.

Also, finally I remembered to ask, what does "texlaxing" mean?

*Muffin*

Don't you know it, girl :nono:. I've went through phases, psychotic ones, where I hated my hair so much I just wanted to shave it bald and never grow hair again (I get carried away sometimes :grin:). But it gets better, trust me. I still have my ups and downs with my hair, but I've come to learn that when it's rebellious, I just let it do it's thing and clip it up, then I try to figure out what I did differently or haven't been doing in my routine to make it misbehave.

LcS18

I can SOOO sympathize...I HATE my hair now...and I'm all natural... Its just a mess overall. so dry and unruly and it NEVER looks right or does what I want it too...of course this could be "operator" error..lol:blush: But thats why I keep looking at this forum...and I got serious last night so hopefully things will be looking up.... DON'T GIVE UP!!! You'll be in love with it again soon just keep it up :grin:

poookie

yep, before i started my hair journey. my hair was so thin, dull, & lifeless, and it never grew past neck length.

now? i'm totally comfortable w/ whatever shapes my poof of hair goes into, so long as it's getting longer and healthier! :lol:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Yes! There was a time I hated dealing with my hair because nothing I did made it look right. It was around SL at the time and frustrating as ever. I just bunned it, baggied, wore phony ponies and tried to keep out of it as much as possible. It will get better though I promise:yep:. Try as many cute and elegant updos as you can and just wait for it to grow longer.

silvergirl

yup between the twa and shoulder length natural stage. it just doesnt suit my face. my hair looks better either super short or super long. but during this inbetween period as soon as i was able to do a ponytail i did and it wont be coming out till i hit my goal again.

Ivytresses

Here I come with the questions. I am sure there is a database with all these terms defined, but can anyone tell me about Baggying and Texlaxing.(As in what do they mean) LOL!!!

SweetSpirit86

I think we all have at some point. :) For me, it was mostly just fighting with how thick my hair is...relaxed and natural, lol. Recently, it was because it acted like it didn't want to moisturize!:lachen:I'm cool now. I guess because my hair is just like another person. It has it's likes/dislikes...and days where it just wants to be like "Get outta my face!!" Those are the bad hair days.:(

brucebettye

I totally hate my hair right now. My hair is almost apl, but right now my hair is driving me crazy!!! I so want to cut my hair to about 3 inches all over. I cannot wait until I am full apl, then maybe my hair will be act better. So I just been were puffs because I do not want to deal with my hair!!!!!!!

jetbeauty09

Don't be frustrated, your hairs looks great. When it gets humid out just put it up with a clip and play up your make up.

When I can't get my hair right I figure I'll work on something else :lachen:

Your hair looks really thick, I'm sure a lazy updo would look cute.
I couldn't have said it better!

Mercie

I wish my hair was longer, it would be easier to work with.
I can't really put my hair into a bun without having it fall out.

Prudent1

Hello and welcome from one newbie to another!! :newbie:
Here is a quick link for an explanation for the baggying method:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/archive/index.php/t-105117.html

And here is one for texlaxed:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/archive/index.php/t-86685.html

As you read and correspond with us all you will eventually get to know what works best for your hair. We are such a varied group of ladies!! Someone here is surely your hair twin :yep: The LHCF search tool in the upper right corner will help you search the archives faster. There is another link somewhere which lists a lot of the 'LHCFisms'. I don't remember what it was called though...:rolleyes:

HTH!

beans4reezy

I am feeling exactly the way you are as I am trying to get to APL this year. I stuck my hair in kinky twists so that I wouldn't have to see it and thus not obssess about it being close, but not quite there yet...

Ramya

Well I was annoyed with my hair a couple of weeks ago and ended up cutting it. :ohwell: It looks better but I'm still not satisfied. These are the times that I say hide your hair in protective styles.

tocktick

Yes. I especially disliked my hair when it was about 4"-5" long. For the most part, I enjoyed my hair more when it was a twa (2 - 2.5") because styles came out the way I wanted it to. I got to APL in 2 years after BCing and still wasn't that happy with my hair. Due to the thickness, it was too short to achieve the styles I really wanted to do. I was very tempted to chop it back to a TWA out of frustration.

I settled on following the crown and glory method again. Ultimately, I tend to get tired of my hair once it's been loose for 2-3 months after I remove my braids. I suspect that I won't be that satisfied with my hair like I was when I had a TWA until it's about BSL or MBL.

Last edited:

Ramya

Yes. I especially disliked my hair when it was about 4"-5" long. For the most part, I enjoyed my hair more when it was a twa (2 - 2.5") because styles came out the way I wanted it to. I got to APL in 2 years after BCing and still wasn't that happy with my hair. Due to the thickness, it was too short to achieve the styles I really wanted to do. I was very tempted to chop it back to a TWA out of frustration.

I settled on following the crown and glory method again. Ultimately, I tend go get tired of my hair once it's been loose for 2-3 months after I remove my braids. I suspect that I won't be that satisfied with my hair like I was when I had a TWA until it's about BSL or MBL.

Ok so I'm not the only one. My hair is in the ugly inbetween stage of 5 inches. It annoys the daylights out of me. The only style that looks decent is mini twists. I'm tempted to say screw it and be a straight natural but I have a feeling that it will be ugly straight too. :nono:

Nina_1987

Now that I'm doing protective styles, I still feel that way. my hair is too thick to put up so it looks crap at the moment.

trendsetta25

When i was growing out my short halley cut my hair went through that phase...the only difference was that my hair was too short to rock a bun so my solution was a good ol wet and wavy weave! it was just right for the summer! :)