my hair is not THAT short but...

inthepink

It just shrinks up so darn much! I think I have about a 65% shrinkage rate in the back and about 45% shrinkage in the front. It will take me at least another year before my hair even sits on my shoulders curly whereas it is shoulder length or below when stretched.

What's your shrinkage rate?

My hair is a little below ear length when stretched, but unstretched its two inches
frown.gif
I t seems like my hair isnt growing at all

I'm a few inches past shoulder length curly and almost (lil less than an inch over) brastrap straight. I'm just getting past that akward stage. Oh and I have two different hairtypes on my head so only some of it is a few inches past shoulder length. Then some har is only an inch past shoulders. It realy sucks cuz it takes twice as long to show length and sometimes you swear its not growing til you get a rollerset or flat iron.

Hairlove, I think your hair will shrink less once it's past shoulder length. My hair is pretty similar to yours and that's what my hair does. The longer and heavier it gets, the less it shrinks.

I have major shrinkage, my hair barely touches my shoulders when it's curly (dry), but when it's stretched, it reaches my bra-strap. My hair shrinks half its length.

FlowerHair - I do think that is the case. Once I get past that shoulder length point, it won't be as much of concern!

Rea - It is so funny...b/c I look at my hair shrunken and oh boy, it's short but when I pull it I think "wow" it's pretty long!

hairlove I just looked at your new pics! Your hair looks great! You had the patience to transition for so long--I'm sure you'll be able to see your hair shoot past shoulder length in no time
smile.gif

I have major shrinkage too. I chopped a piece by my ear to monitor the growth, when I stretch it, it comes down to collarbone (bout 6 inches) and when I let it go it goes back to 1 1/2 inches!

I definitely have shrikage. The top part of my hair shrinks like 30%. However, the bottom half of my hair( particularly the nape area) shrinks like 60% so it looks retarded! I try to put product to weigh it down a bit and stretch it out but it ends up looking worse so I'll just deal with it until it gets long enough to have more weight to it.

[ QUOTE ]
BlackCardinal said:
hairlove I just looked at your new pics! Your hair looks great! You had the patience to transition for so long--I'm sure you'll be able to see your hair shoot past shoulder length in no time
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! I am still going to be wearing ponytails most of the time...well, till I can make a bun. Then it will be winter and I won't want to wear it down with cotton sweaters and such. Then winter will pass and spring will be here and soon after that, maybe shoulder length curly hair.
lachen70.gif

You'll be at shoulder length curly before you know it, Hairlove.
smile.gif

I don't know how much shrinkage I have, since I don't have that much natural hair but when my hair was all natural before, it was about 50-60%. I have heard that the shrinkage lessens the longer your hair is.

My hair shrinks up to about half its size. If it's somewhat stretched the back grazes my shoulders. I think your haircut looks great Hairlove. I know you're anxious for it to grow longer but I think its very pretty at that length
smile.gif

I don't know if this will help
but some ladies with texturizers
put hair claws/clips at the bottom of their hair
while it dries to stretch the curls gently...

if you're concerned about shrinkage
that may help you gain a few more cm or inches

aww thanks betty. I am trying to take advantage of this length so that by the time it is long, I will know exactly what products to use to style it and have it look salon perfect!
smile.gif

ThursdayGirl - I have heard of that, too. I may try it someday.
smile.gif

im a type 4, however that is defined these days, and if you look in my journal, i get ridiculous shrinkage. when blowndry, my hair is about chin length. when wet or in its shrunken nappy state, its a few inches.

I also have about 65% shrinkage. Even in my pics you can see it. The killer part is my hair is now a inch longer than the pics and yet my hair still shrinks to 2 inches.
ohwell.gif
My hair is past my shoulders stretched but au natural there is no difference.

I have major shrinkage. When stretched in the back, it reaches the base of my neck. When I let go, it looks about two inches long.

in the back its a lil past my collarbone...the front scraping my chin..thats when i pull real hard....let it go..the front goes back up to above my ear and the back dangles only a lil bit...but this is the longest my hair has been in years...i'm so proud of myself
king.gif

I have major shrinkage also. I haven't calculated the percentage but it is more than 50% at this point. When I wear my twists, one of the front twists stretches to my chin but when I let go, it goes back up to my eye brow.

I hope that as it grows, shrinkage will decrease some.

-Ebony

[ QUOTE ]
FlowerHair said:
Hairlove, I think your hair will shrink less once it's past shoulder length. My hair is pretty similar to yours and that's what my hair does. The longer and heavier it gets, the less it shrinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have noticed this as well. My hair does not have as much shrinkage now that it is close to brastrap.

I already know my hair is going to shrink something awful once I'm fully natural because of the way my new growth behaves. I start out with defined waves in the morning and by noon my waves are a curly mess. I'd say my new growth shrinks about 50%.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
It just shrinks up so darn much! I think I have about a 65% shrinkage rate in the back and about 45% shrinkage in the front. It will take me at least another year before my hair even sits on my shoulders curly whereas it is shoulder length or below when stretched.

What's your shrinkage rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! This is me all the way. My hair stretched is a few inches past shoulder inch as well. I have aboutt he same percentage in shrinkage
smile.gif

my hair is just like yours hairlove. Can not wait till i get to that shoulder length too
smile.gif

Back