UGH!!!! Split Ends....What to do?

Syrah

I'm a 3c/4a natural head - bra strap length. My hair is growing well, but I've got split ends ... I don't know what to do about them or where they're coming from. I know that once the hair shaft is split - it must be cut - no repairing and hoping they'll merge back together. But once I cut - how do I prevent them in the future?!

I tried doing a little research - which was worthless. Most places say that split ends comes from a) too much heat b) not enough heat c) over moisturizing (conditioning) or d) underconditioning...whatever all that means.

Honestly, I think my problem is the heat because while I am a natural head, I do blow dryer (or sit under the dryer) weekly. I don't flat iron or curl but I do blow dry.

Any ladies experience Split Ends? If so -what'd you do about it?

sareca

anatomicallycorrect said:
No heat and moisturize. Seamless combs/brushes, low manipulation, a protective style if possible. Seal moisture w/good oils.

ITA. Just make sure you cut them off.

Jaelin

Trimming and dusting just wasn't working for me this time so I bought an anti split end leave in treatment. It's been about four weeks and the amount of split ends in my trouble area is down dramtically.