Naturals and split ends!

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
Those of you who are natural...do you notice more or less split ends now that you have given up the relaxer? What are you doing to prevent or treat split ends?

atl_mulattamami

I actually notice LESS split ends since I gave up the relaxer. To prevent them I get a trim every three months and I moisturize my ends every night before putting my hair in a satin bonnet. I also have silk pillow covers in case my bonnet slips off during the night.

chocolate01

Actually I have not had the chance to really notice because I have had three cuts/trim since June. I had a couple inches taken off my transitioning hair in june, then my BC in july, and I had my hair even up in October. My ends were is pretty good shape when I trimmed in October but I think I am going to have to wait and see. To avoid them I don't use heat on my hair, keep manipulation to a minimum, keep my ends moisturized and always sleep with a satin bonnet.

Last edited:

MeccaMedinah

I just gave myself a trim on Sunday? I trimmed about 1/4 inch, I hadn't trimmed/cut since April- so I guess that's good. I moisturize 1-2 x's a week with shea butter & aloe vera gel & spritz nightly with oil & water. I've recently decided that I will be using some sort of butter-ghee, mango or shea on my ends nightly in addition to my normal routine. I also sleep with a satin bonnet.
I think my nightly rolling on perm rods may have caused my ends to split a little.:ohwell:

wyldcurlz

i've noticed less split ends when i stopped relaxing, but even LESS when i cut back on heat! that was the major culprit in my split ends!

Country gal

When I twist my hair I notice split ends. I think it is time for me to have a trim. My last trim was March 05.

IrisDaVirus

I've noticed significantly less split ends. I think giving up relaxers, daily conditioner washes, and not using heat on my hair in any form are the main reasons.