Ultra Sheen Duo Tex has a Permish feeling

isioma85

*update*

I went to the BSS yesterday and found a HUGE bottle of this stuff, 33oz for $4.99! :eek:

Got it, and couldn't wait for 10 o' clock so I could try it out. I co-washed, then applied the Duo Tex. It was a little awkward for me b/c it's liquid and I didn't get a spray bottle, but I got it in there. The bottle says to spread the lather with a shampoo comb.........but it didn't lather on my head. :confused: I couldn't get it to lather since the instructions also say not to massage or tangle, so I left it on for about 12 minutes. Whilst spreading with the shampoo comb, I noticed my hair kind of 'glazing', getting a little hard. I figured, hey, protein strengthens, so that should be a good thing.

I rinsed out with warm water. I didn't get the 'permish' feeling though, not at all. I blotted dry, and my hair felt a little stronger, and the new growth had a little less of the kink in it. I sectioned and moisturised, and went to sleep. This morning my hair feels good, nothing spectacular. Not as soft as it usually is after co-washing, but not hard enough to be brittle.

I'll continue to use this, perhaps weekly, for my hair's protein needs. Maybe after a few more uses I'll get more noticeable results.

gn1g

It does not lather on my head either, well the first time it was a little sudsy. I follow the instructions as far as the timing goes. I do 3-5 minutes unless I have done a touch up then it's 10 minutes. But I ALWAYS follow a protein conditioner with a moisturizing conditioner no matter how light of a protein conditioner I use. Otherwise I get breakage.

It leaves my hair silky straight. When I use it in the shower that stuff dries my lips out instantly, I have to use every kind of chapstik and gloss I can find for the next 24 hours. (just a side note)

isioma85

gn1g said:
It leaves my hair silky straight. When I use it in the shower that stuff dries my lips out instantly, I have to use every kind of chapstik and gloss I can find for the next 24 hours. (just a side note)

I noticed that too, I didn't let it get on my face, but the areas on my forehead it got to were crackhead ashy! :lol:

newslady

i'm planning to use this today after so many raves.
this will be my first relaxer after a shampoo.
plan to do two shampoos with CON then follow with duo tex.
follow the directions exactly.
but i don't plan to follow with a moisturizing conditioner b/c i really wanna see the duo tex results.
plus i'm out of a moisturizing conditioner now.
anyone use this WITHOUT a moisturizing conditoner?

AtlantaJJ

Bummping, I PMed Super Girl and then I found this thread! LOL...sorry SuperGirl, this newbie is learning.

Why ya'll going to make me go BACK to Sally's!!?? :lachen:

gn1g

THIS STUFF DRIED MY SCALP OUT, TERRIBLE.

Ladies it's still a great product but you absolutely must oil your scalp.

Synthia

newslady said:
i'm planning to use this today after so many raves.
this will be my first relaxer after a shampoo.
plan to do two shampoos with CON then follow with duo tex.
follow the directions exactly.
but i don't plan to follow with a moisturizing conditioner b/c i really wanna see the duo tex results.
plus i'm out of a moisturizing conditioner now.
anyone use this WITHOUT a moisturizing conditoner?

I don't think you should do this without a moisturizing conditioner. From my recollection, your hair won't be as slippery. Even if you smooth a MC on in the shower for 2 minutes ... that would be better than none at all. I've done that with fine results.

But I still think you'd be OK without one since the directions suggest that when using it right after a chemical treatment, it should only stay on for 3-5 minutes. Don't forget that. 3-5 minutes.

Next time you can do 10 minutes.

gloomgeisha

You mean I've had a bottle of this stuff sitting on the floor of my bathroom closet for over five months and its actually a good product? I'm definitely going to have to try this the next time I am scheduled for a heavy protein treatment.

I hope I get some good results, even though I'm noticing that it doesn't give the same stellar results to natural hair as it does to permed. Or maybe I just misread.

isioma85

Weird how this thread got bumped an exact week later, I'm bout to do the Duo Tex again tonight!

Slightly OT: My cousin uses my products sometimes (seeing as I'm the house PJ :look: ) and the day I got the Duo Tex she used it not knowing exactly what it was. Home girl had a head full of hard poufy hair. :lachen: :lachen: I had to explain the diff. conditioners I had and their purpose, so she wouldn't end up like Don King again.

AtlantaJJ

isioma85 said:
Weird how this thread got bumped an exact week later, I'm bout to do the Duo Tex again tonight!

Slightly OT: My cousin uses my products sometimes (seeing as I'm the house PJ :look: ) and the day I got the Duo Tex she used it not knowing exactly what it was. Home girl had a head full of hard poufy hair. :lachen: :lachen: I had to explain the diff. conditioners I had and their purpose, so she wouldn't end up like Don King again.

hehehe!! :lol:

EishBuhgeish

I used Duotex as my pre-poo last night and it did SOMETHING to my underprocessed crunchy roots. I'm able to slip my fingers through my hair without hitting the "crazy cruncy waves". Dont get me wrong, I can tell which is newgrowth and whats permed, but its wave pattern has definately smoothed out.

Now I gotta find a solution to the breakage and ridiculous shedding. I thought Duotex would have remedied that, but unfortunately it did not. Do yall think its just because I'm underprocessed and my hair is acting as if it was never permed (my hair sheds and breaks alot when its time for a perm) OR something else?

HELP A SISTA OUT BEFORE IT ALL FALLS OUT!! (LOL-JK)

BUT SERIOUSLY, I NEED A FEW SUGGESTIONS.

PS- I've already clarified, pooed with moist. shampo AND made sure I gave it a super moisturizing condish after ward.....

isioma85

^^^I suggest you do a deep condition overnight with a plastic cap. That should strengthen your strands and reduce the breakage. Add some oils to the deep condish, the results should be nice! HTH.:)

ETA: For long term breakage and shedding reduction, invest in supplements like Horsetail that have high Silica content to strengthen your strands.

gloomgeisha

EishBuhgeish said:
Now I gotta find a solution to the breakage and ridiculous shedding. I thought Duotex would have remedied that, but unfortunately it did not. Do yall think its just because I'm underprocessed and my hair is acting as if it was never permed (my hair sheds and breaks alot when its time for a perm) OR something else?

HELP A SISTA OUT BEFORE IT ALL FALLS OUT!! (LOL-JK)

BUT SERIOUSLY, I NEED A FEW SUGGESTIONS.

PS- I've already clarified, pooed with moist. shampo AND made sure I gave it a super moisturizing condish after ward.....

What are you using for a daily moisturizer? Your hair could be lacking moisture during the day. Also, have you considered doing protective styles for awhile? Maybe your hair needs a break, especially since the seasons are changing and the air is getting progressively drier (depending on where you are)

Sassafrass

I tried this stuff and I must say....

THANKS, LCHF! This stuff has worked wonderfully on my hair! I have completely natural, horrible hair and this stuff detangled and made it manageable! It didn't straighten it at all, but I didn't expect it to. Instead, it was soft and smooth, almost slippery. I even made a squeaky sound when I ran my fingers down it. It was so smooth and soft, I thought it was straight until I looked in the mirror. I then put some Humectress mixed with EVOO and my hair came out feeling like heaven! I culdn't keep my hands out of my hair! I will definitely continue to use this stuff!

EishBuhgeish

gloomgeisha said:
What are you using for a daily moisturizer? Your hair could be lacking moisture during the day. Also, have you considered doing protective styles for awhile? Maybe your hair needs a break, especially since the seasons are changing and the air is getting progressively drier (depending on where you are)

Thats a possibility. I moisturize & seal at night before going to bed, yet sometimes in the morning I skip that step due to time. However, that last few days I've been pony-tailing it. I'll try and be more consistent with my daily moisturizing.

:wonders is she can pull of moisturizing at work:::cool:

missnappylady

Can someone PLEASE post a website that sells this stuff??? I can't find it anywhere. When it comes to black hair products, we always seem to get neglected here (B.C):cry3:

Nefertiti0906

I used it this past weekend and I luv it :); I have been transitioning for the past 7 months from texturized hair.

First I used Redken's Clarifying Shampoo, and then washed with Nexxus moisturizing shampoo (I forgot the exact name.) I then used the Duo Tex for about 5-10 mins, and then rinsed out. My hair felt smooth during and after the application. My comb was able to glide through easily when its usually very tangled after I wash it. Also my hair had been shedding but this application also stopped it! I deep conditioned with Elucence Moisturizing conditioner for 1 hour (no heat) and then rinsed out. My hair was very soft and free of tangles :D

LadyJay114

I heard Sheldeez sucks!!! Dont do it!

Duo Tex is EXTREMELY hard to find. I've only found 1 store in my area that has it, and it was a small local BSS, not one of the larger ones in NY.

LadyZ

I will be trying it this weekend... I sure hope I love it like everyone else....

Thanks....

gn1g

I recently colored my hair and it begain to break-off. No fear Duo-tex was near. Stopped all that chipping and breaking in an instant. I love it.