Underprocessed versus Texlaxed

Tootuff

Hi all, I am a newbie and I am very happy to have found this board.

I see posts that speak of underprocessed hair being a bad thing and can cause damage but what is the difference in underprocessing and texlaxed or a texturizer?:confused:

LaShanne

i'd like to know that too, because at first i was upset that my relaxer didnt get my new growth straight enough, then i thought maybe thats a good thing.

Mystic

Texturizer/texlax is a deliberate attempt to relax the curls with uniform consistency. You leave the relaxer in for a few minutes e.g. 5 mins, and your entire hair will take on a texturized feel (kind of a looser curl pattern).

Underprocessed hair is not deliberate - it gets that way because of a mistake made in relaxing. Therefore, for the most part, certain sections will be straight and another section too curly (underprocessed). Because of this inconsistency, underprocessed hair is more damaging because some parts are straight and some parts curly...., imagine having to comb through your hair with this pattern. It can be really frustrating - it happened to me once. It is better to have the same consistency (texture) thoughout the length of the hair. Texlaxed/texturizer I hear is healthier than bone straight because relaxing out all curls (getting it bone straight) makes the hair weaker.

This is how I sum up the difference.

snoopy1me

ivanay said:
Texturizer/texlax is a deliberate attempt to relax the curls with uniform consistency. You leave the relaxer in for a few minutes e.g. 5 mins, and your entire hair will take on a texturized feel (kind of a looser curl pattern).

Underprocessed hair is not deliberate - it gets that way because of a mistake made in relaxing. Therefore, for the most part, certain sections will be straight and another section too curly (underprocessed). Because of this inconsistency, underprocessed hair is more damaging because some parts are straight and some parts curly...., imagine having to comb through your hair with this pattern. It can be really frustrating - it happened to me once. It is better to have the same consistency (texture) thoughout the length of the hair. Texlaxed/texturizer I hear is healthier than bone straight because relaxing out all curls (getting it bone straight) makes the hair weaker.

This is how I sum up the difference.

me too!!!:look:

OneInAMillion

I completely agree with Ivanay. I'd also add that underprocessed hair (at least in my case) can take on a frizzy texture. For example, I had a patch of hair that was underprocessed in the middle of my hair shaft. When in rain, humidity, etc. that part always frizzed up tremendously, EVEN when my natural roots did not. It made it hard to detangle and comb through also.

But again, the idea with any chemical process is to have a uniform consistency throughout the strand. Underprocessing indicates that the strand is not uniform. When I texlax, I'm trying to retain some curl all around, since my hair is fine.

Hope that helps.

zora

OneInAMillion said:
I completely agree with Ivanay. I'd also add that underprocessed hair (at least in my case) can take on a frizzy texture. For example, I had a patch of hair that was underprocessed in the middle of my hair shaft. When in rain, humidity, etc. that part always frizzed up tremendously, EVEN when my natural roots did not. It made it hard to detangle and comb through also.

But again, the idea with any chemical process is to have a uniform consistency throughout the strand. Underprocessing indicates that the strand is not uniform. When I texlax, I'm trying to retain some curl all around, since my hair is fine.

Hope that helps.
OneinaMillion,

I'm still experimenting with processing times. I too have fine hair. How many minutes do you leave it in and what's your hair type.

OneInAMillion

zora said:
OneinaMillion,

I'm still experimenting with processing times. I too have fine hair. How many minutes do you leave it in and what's your hair type.

Hey Zora,

I don't do my own relaxers, but I've been experimenting with my stylist. He does 8-9 minutes now, and that gets my hair wavy. Before, he did about 5 minutes, and I feel like I was underprocessed for the most part. At first I was nervous because it looked like it was going to be bone straight, but I went home and washed the next day with a protein treatment. I airdried, and saw that my hair was nowhere near straight :lol: . It was very soft and just elongated my curl. My hair is probably a 4a, the (classic coffee stirrer spirals). So now, they're stretched out a little. Overall I'm pleased. I've found that what's key is doing my crown first, and all edges last.