Update on Japanese Straight Perm

yokoyokogirl

Back in Nov. 2008, I got my first Japanese straight perm.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=306685&highlight=

I'm in Japan and there aren't many options for non-Japanese hair out here. I don't like braids (itch too much) and I was tired of getting my hair pressed (This lady was using way too much oil to do it), plus one of my gf with the same hair texture as mine got it. So I took the plunge. No previous perm/relaxer, just a whole lot of dye and some damage from that.

My hair has remained straight since I got my first perm. Wash and go. I deep cond. once a week. My ends always seem dry, so I rub a little coconut oil on them. I noticed about 1-2 months ago, my roots were getting thick as hell. I would flat iron them a bit and they would be ok. But the rest of my hair is stick straight.

I wanted to get the gloss and deep protein treatment the salon offered and I figured I should get another perm while there (the salon is almost 2 hrs away from me by train) Plus the salon said to come back every 3 months for a perm; my friend says she goes maybe every 5 months. So end of my 5 month, I went. (I will take some pictures of her hair too, next time we meet, so you can see what her perm looks like!)

The second time is essentially a "touch up". (See my link above for details.) Same exact way as the first time, but they only put the creme on your roots, but they still flat iron your whole head. I love this salon cause they literally had a timer and were super attentive to my hair, stopping from another customer to check on me and analyzing my hair strands against some other "samples" of Black hair textures.

My hair came out shinier--the gloss? And super soft. I can't stop touching it! It's lightweight and not heavy, blows in the wind and doesn't feel stiff at all. Ends are softer and it looks like it grew a tad.

The only bad thing was the price 14,500 yen or about $142. Yes crazy. I wanted to cry as I paid, but then I calculated all I got for this price and it was: a "touch up" perm, deep cond. protein pack treatment with hair gloss, and a trim. PLUS all Japanese salons give an upper back massage and aromatherapy hot towel for your face/neck. The owner of the salon also apologized for me having to commute so far that she also gave me a free hand massage...so in the end it was all worth it.

AND I think they trimmed too much hair. I always hate getting trims and feel like no one (but my Momma) knows how to trim hair without cutting so much!!!!

Anyways I've attached a photo. I have more but they won't upload here...
019.jpg

Qualitee

You're hair looks great. I think that salon visit is worth the price. Besides you are only going every 5 months, so it isnt that bad:)

luckiestdestiny

Are you kidding me? The trim is fine. I checked out your past thread and your hair looks gorgeous, thicker, and the ends are more even this time around, plus you've actually achieved some growth so congratulations.

yokoyokogirl

Thanks...but it didn't seem like my hair has grown much...Maybe because I see it everyday? I'm going to keep taking care of it and eating better (cause I think that helps) in hopes of having some more length by summer. My dream is mid-back length!!!

hothair

Your hair has reaaaalllllly grown! Waiting to try the BKT my hair loves protein so hopefully it will do me good