Back kitchen: So nappy!

yokoyokogirl

I get a Japanese straight perm or "shukumo perm" about 3x a year and in the meantime, DC one a wk, wash 2X wkly and get a salon treatment once a month. My hair has really grown but my "kitchens" the back part of my hair, near my neck is soooooo kinky and nappy. Even though the rest of my hair will be straight; that area is horrible about a month after the perm. Any advice on how to fix this or what products can help? I hate wearing buns cause that part is sagging and kinky, so different from the other hair.

MaryJane3000

I would try oiling your hair before shampooing and maybe avoid getting shampoo back there at all.Do a lot of deep moisture treatments and check the porosity. Maybe even have them avoid that section of your hair when you get the perm to see what's really causing it. Your hair back there may naturally be a different texture than the rest of your head and isn't compatible with the type of perm you're getting.

The back of my hair behaves like that when it's not moisturized. Now that I actually have a proper regimen, the back of my hair is like the rest of my head. In fact, it's actually softer than anywhere else.

Joico is the main product in my regimen but I also use TJ's Nourish and Spa, KCKT and Jojoba oil.

BrookeLynn

I used to have that issue when I was relaxed. My hair would be stick straight and shiny, but the kitchen would be drawn up, dry and brittle.

You would think it would be worse since I'm natural now, but it's not. I keep my kitchen heavily moisturizer and detangled. That area has actually grown out quite nicely now and blends with the rest of my hair.

Amoreofcurls

You need mad moisture hun...like whatever amount of moisturizer you use for the rest of your hair, your nape needs more...

yokoyokogirl

THANKS for all the advice ladies!!! My kitchen make me angry with how nasty they look, like old men's chest hair or something lol~~I'm going to try all the advice listed here. Lifesavers again LHCFers!