Using heat?

Leshia

Anyone using heat on a regular basis? I'm talking once a week or more?? You can tell me, I'll wait.
2419.gif

I've stopped using heat for the past 5 wks and I'm loving the results-less breakage. The downside of it is that my hair looks really frizzy and dry. I let it airdry now because I really can't do anything else with it until my next touchup (this coming up weekend!!)
smile.gif
Then I'll start doing my wrap sets and using med to low heat-definitely not high heat!

love the smiley leshia but sorry no heat here, last used heat in august
smile.gif
(except for deep conditioning)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Cami said:
I've stopped using heat for the past 5 wks and I'm loving the results-less breakage. The downside of it is that my hair looks really frizzy and dry. I let it airdry now because I really can't do anything else with it until my next touchup (this coming up weekend!!)
smile.gif
Then I'll start doing my wrap sets and using med to low heat-definitely not high heat!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cami, I like what you're doing with your hair. Do you still get this smooth look with the air-drying and without heat?

ngaa said:
love the smiley leshia but sorry no heat here, last used heat in august
smile.gif
(except for deep conditioning)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not using any heat either, not even for conditioning, but I do remember how smooth and sleek things were and I miss that. When I'm not in braids I don't even wear a straight look..at all. Just wondering if anyone's thriving with it...

I get the smooth look when I sit under a hood dryer and do a wrap set. When it air dries, it looks frizzy and dull.

NO heat (blow dryer, curling iron, hooded dryers) here since dec 02

For a smooth look= air dry in a pony tail sytle, then oil and wrap

Voila smooth straight, the look of blow dryed hair
smile.gif

emgurl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, but when you use the ponytail style, what do you do with the hair that is "loose" or hanging from the ponytail. I have tried to just let my hair air dry in the method you described above, but once my ends are dry, they are not straight enough to simply wrap.
frown.gif

elliot said:
emgurl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, but when you use the ponytail style, what do you do with the hair that is "loose" or hanging from the ponytail. I have tried to just let my hair air dry in the method you described above, but once my ends are dry, they are not straight enough to simply wrap.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Use jumbo smooth magnetic rollers(or how ever many you need). You coild also dry your hair in 2 or more ponytails with a roller on each one. Your hair will dry faster and smoother. Then do the oil and wrap...

I guess I'll be the first one here to say yes I do use heat and yes I do use heat atleast 1x a week
smile.gif
I blowdry my hair but on warm and not until it's bone straight, just until it's dry. I then use a curling iron to smooth it out. No ill effects, no breakage, no dryness. But I do make sure to take very good care of my ends and I make sure that I deep condition atleast 2x a week.
drunk.gif

Sweetcocoa, what about the hair where the ponytail holder is. I find that it stays wet right there, (I do 3 ) and then I don't know what to do cuase it's wavy there but straight everywhere else. ??

Last time i ran the blow dryer through it a couple of times, but I don't want to do that all the time. Any suggestions.

I use heat. Anywhere from 1-2 times a week. I air dry my hair and then smooth it out with a curling iron or a flat iron. If I don't airdry then I use the blowdryer to dry it enough so that I can use the flat iron or curling iron. No negative effects so far. Like Caramela, I deep condition twice a week.
I don't have the patience to sit under my hooded dryer that takes me half an hour just to get the positioning right.. Sometimes I'll air dry my hair until damp, roll it, leave it in rollers overnight and that turns out nice, just something that I don't do that often.

shanda michelle

Mindymouse said:
Sweetcocoa, what about the hair where the ponytail holder is. I find that it stays wet right there, (I do 3 ) and then I don't know what to do cuase it's wavy there but straight everywhere else. ??

Last time i ran the blow dryer through it a couple of times, but I don't want to do that all the time. Any suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I only do the ponytail method of airdrying when I gonna wrap it and get undet the dryer. The heat from the dryer takes care of that. Also I think the wrap comes out smoother if it's not bone dry before you wrap it(in my opinion).

shandaMichelle said:
I use heat. Anywhere from 1-2 times a week. I air dry my hair and then smooth it out with a curling iron or a flat iron. If I don't airdry then I use the blowdryer to dry it enough so that I can use the flat iron or curling iron. No negative effects so far. Like Caramela, I deep condition twice a week.
I don't have the patience to sit under my hooded dryer that takes me half an hour just to get the positioning right.. Sometimes I'll air dry my hair until damp, roll it, leave it in rollers overnight and that turns out nice, just something that I don't do that often.

shanda michelle

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't use a hard bonnet, but on the old forum someone posted that they use an ironing board to set their dryer on...then adjust it to the perfect height. I thought that was a great idea.

sweetcocoa said:

I don't use a hard bonnet, but on the old forum someone posted that they use an ironing board to set their dryer on...then adjust it to the perfect height. I thought that was a great idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is a GOOD idea! Thanks for the tips on airdrying with the ponytail method. I am going to try this next time I wash.
smile.gif

sweetcocoa said:
shandaMichelle said:

shanda michelle

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a small step stool from Wal-Mart to sit my hooded dryer on. I sit the step stool on the floor, sit the dryer on the step stool, then sit on the floor under the dryer.

Does this work for texturized hair? I'm concerned about it being wavy at the top when I put in a ponytail to airdry.

I'll admit that I use heat too only because I have to. I rollerset and sit under a warm dryer. The air drying method doesn't work for me because it leaves my hair too frizzy and dry and the cuticles just won't lay down. Not only that I find that I lose more hair this way.

In addition to that I'm 19 weeks post touchup and the coconut oil on the newgrowth + heat helps to straighten it out a little.
smile.gif
No breakage or dryness so far so I'll stick with it.

I must use heat. I usually rollerset and get a smooth 'do, but this weekend I was pressed for time, so I put my hair in three ponytails (2 in front, 1 in back). I sat under the bonnet for 1 1/2 hours and my hair was still damp, so I blow dried my hair on cool. I curled my hair with the ceramic hot curlers and the roots looked beautiful, but my ends looked like straw.

I think I'll stick to my rollersets.

I have tried that too but I still find it a hassle.. I will probably end up buying a bonnet dryer.. at least that way I can dry under that for a bit and then air dry the rest of the way.

Honi said:
I'll admit that I use heat too only because I have to. I rollerset and sit under a warm dryer. The air drying method doesn't work for me because it leaves my hair too frizzy and dry and the cuticles just won't lay down. Not only that I find that I lose more hair this way.

In addition to that I'm 19 weeks post touchup and the coconut oil on the newgrowth + heat helps to straighten it out a little.
smile.gif
No breakage or dryness so far so I'll stick with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honi &amp; Caramela I'm definitely feeling you on the heat vs air dry thing. I recently air dried and I'm getting a lot of breakage and I'm gonna wash and either rollerset or blowdry/curl tonight. The airdrying left my hair super frizzy and dry as well.

PS
Caramela how's your hair doing since the cut and the blowdry/curl method you're going with now? Also, what's your hairtype?

I use heat at least once every other week. I use it primarily to give myself a hot oil treatment (i.e. heating cap), and then sometimes I sit under the dryer for 15 minutes or so to jump start the drying when I put in hair rollers. If I feel that my hair is a little frizzy I may blow dry on a cool setting and may bump my ends also. But I am so trying to not use the blow dryer and/or curling iron.
smile.gif

Back