Using Steam for Treatments as Opposed to Dryer?

Lady Esquire

Hi ladies!
I was in the store the other day and saw a steamer and hair dryers. And the question popped in my head, why would I need a steamer if I already have a hooded dryer at home?

I remember reading in some fotkis that some women have the steamers for deep conditioning treatments. I love my Caruso Steam Rollers and I know that steam is great for facials.

Please share the benefits of doing this for deep conditioning. Is it really all that different from sitting under the hooded dryer?:p

schipperchow1

I can't speak @the steamer but Last week I did my first hot oil pre-poo w/a wet warm towel instead of my heating cap (which I never liked the results w/so used condish for prepoo instead)...I am hooked!! & did it again yesterday w/a different oil...fabulous results!!! The hair is soft & shiny...I haven't tried w/after shampoo DC though...I don't know if you need to purchase a steamer...I had been looking for steamer, but they seem kind of expensive for it to be a one use only sort of appliance:ohwell: so decided to give the warm towel treatment a try.

Lusa

It has been my personal experience that sitting under a steamer keeps my hair hydrated instead of being dried out like sitting under a hood dryer. If you decide to use a steamer for your DC be sure to use a thick conditioner or you'll get a runny mess, same applies if you're using permanent colour.

It really is a personal choice because it can get stuffy under a steamer and it's not for everyone!

Last edited:

lisana

I would think that if your hair is wet and you put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer, that the hair is being steamed. Is this not correct or is it that the steamer just produces a lot more steam. I would really like to know before I start feeling the pull of PJism.

Lady Esquire

thanks for the replies. well, i will start off with the steamed towel method first and then maybe graduate into the steamer. but hey, i might not even need it if the towel works fine.

Daisimae

lisana said:
I would think that if your hair is wet and you put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer, that the hair is being steamed. Is this not correct or is it that the steamer just produces a lot more steam. I would really like to know before I start feeling the pull of PJism.

I'd like to know this too.

:wave: I have a Pibbs hair steamer. Steaming allows deep treatments to penetrate the cuticle with moist heat vs dry heat from a dryer. When using a steamer you dont need a plastic cap, you allow the steam to penetrate your hair shaft. I use the steamer at least every two weeks and get excellent results.

I got turned on to using steamers about a year ago when we had that rave on the site. Someone found a table top steamer for 70 bucks and was going to order one for everyone. Unfortunately, that steamer got discontinued and we were not able to get it anymore.

Steamers are also used to cut coloring and highlighting time in half because of how well it penetrates color in the hair. That should give you an idea of how well it would work with treatments. I would suggest searching on e-bay, thats how I got mine.

seraphim712

SerenityBreeze said:
:wave: I have a Pibbs hair steamer. Steaming allows deep treatments to penetrate the cuticle with moist heat vs dry heat from a dryer. When using a steamer you dont need a plastic cap, you allow the steam to penetrate your hair shaft. I use the steamer at least every two weeks and get excellent results.

I got turned on to using steamers about a year ago when we had that rave on the site. Someone found a table top steamer for 70 bucks and was going to order one for everyone. Unfortunately, that steamer got discontinued and we were not able to get it anymore.

Steamers are also used to cut coloring and highlighting time in half because of how well it penetrates color in the hair. That should give you an idea of how well it would work with treatments. I would suggest searching on e-bay, thats how I got mine.

Now that you mention it, I think my hair stylist uses a Pibbs hair steamer on me instead of a hair dryer. He puts a conditioner on my hair and sits me under it for about 45 min to an hour.

Lusa was right about being careful when having a thich conditioner on your head. My stylist put had covered my head with a plastic cap after applying the conditioner. About 30 min later, the heat started making the cap uncomfortable, so I lifted it up and a stream of conditioner came running down my face. :lol:

Then again it could've been a Pibbs hair dryer since it was mentioned that you don't need a plastic cap for a steamer. However, I think I'll try the steamer if it does benefit in adding alot of moisture...

InNeedofHairapy

I've only had one stylist put me under a steamer. I was natural at the time, and my curls were so bouncy and soft, and just gorgeous...after being air dried. It was amazing. I need to look for one

Lady Esquire

SerenityBreeze said:

Serenity, thanks for the 411. This is very helpful. I have a feeling the steamer will be just what the doctor ordered. My hair is thirsty and I need something that will help with the moisture/protein balance. Off to ebay I go.......By the way, your hair is looking so good, girlie!:thumbsup:

Much2much41

I've had a steamer used on me three times, (I'm relaxed, 4B), and it made not one iota of a difference on me. Maybe it works for others, but all it did was make water drip down my face the whole time. My hair didn't look any better or any worse for it. :ohwell:

ElegantExotic

I used to go to the salon religously for steam treatments, and never had any problems with my hair when I did. My hair was always so healthy, shiny, and moisturised. Split ends were minimal, and my hair thrived. It is definitley a great investment. I am going to purchase one for home. It will def save money, with salon steam treatments around $65 a pop.

The steam treatments are intense, as it allows moisture to penetrate the shaft easily, unlike just leaving conditioners on the hair with caps or even sitting under a dryer with caps.

Be sure not to use plastic caps with them. Also to avoid drippage, always use cotton coil around the hairline. This will prevent moisture from sliding down your face and clothes.

morehairplease

do you mind me asking where you purchased this from and how much it costed?

thanks in advance,
tishee

MJ

I can't speak @the steamer but Last week I did my first hot oil pre-poo w/a wet warm towel instead of my heating cap (which I never liked the results w/so used condish for prepoo instead)...I am hooked!! & did it again yesterday w/a different oil...fabulous results!!! The hair is soft & shiny...I haven't tried w/after shampoo DC though...I don't know if you need to purchase a steamer...I had been looking for steamer, but they seem kind of expensive for it to be a one use only sort of appliance:ohwell: so decided to give the warm towel treatment a try.

I have been using the hot towel every since I saw macherieamour's video weeks ago. I use it during my weekly deep conditioner treatments. My hair is in cornrows (wig challenge) and they feel yummy afterwards.

SouthernTease

I use steam towel treatments.
I love them. I'm big on "don't buy it if you don't need it"
IMO, if you have plastic caps and a towel... you have a steamer.

How do you ladies use the hot towel method??Do you put hot water on it and put a plastic cap over it??Or did you put it in the microwave??I tried using hot water put I found that the towel got cold really quickly.

MJ

How do you ladies use the hot towel method??Do you put hot water on it and put a plastic cap over it??Or did you put it in the microwave??I tried using hot water put I found that the towel got cold really quickly.

What you need:

~ Hot water from the facet or a microwave
~1 towel (kitchen or hand size preferably)
~1 steamer plastic cap (shower cap will do too)
~1 grocery bag
~2 scrunchies

How to do:

1. Add products to hair
2. Run the hot water in the bathtub or kitchen sink until it get really hot
3. Soak the towel in the hot water and wring it out (you may need gloves to protect your hand from the heat) or microwave the towel if you desire
4. Quickly cover your hair with the towel and secure it with a scrunchi or by tucking the ends in or under
5. Immediately cover the hot towel with the plastic steamer cap
6. Cover the plastic steamer cap with the grocery bag ponytail style. Twist the ends of the plastic ponytail until the bag fits snugly to your head and then secure the twisted end with the second scrunchi.

Total time: less than 5 minutes

My hair usually stays warm for about 20-25 minutes.

I don't have a microwave, hence the hot water. Also, I went to a number of stores trying to find the turban-style towel macheriamour used, but didn't. So I now use one of my kitchen towels. It works great.

Sometimes I repeat steps 2-6 if I want to deep condition for an hour. For overnight conditioning, I usually do steps 1-6, then remove the towel, then repeat steps 5 and 6, and then go to sleep.

tschizum

This may shoud crazy but would holding my hair over my caruso steamer help? or what about a steam iron, I usually just do the hot towel method.

ElegantExotic

MissBermuda how frequent were your treatments? Weekly, biweekly, monthly?
TIA :drunk:

Definitely not bi-weekly or weekly. It is said to much steaming can actually be detrimental to the hair. I had no set times, I would space them out between 2-4 weeks, depending on how my hair felt. Initially I needed them every 2 weeks, but once my hair became healthier, I was able to stretch them out, again, depending on how my hair felt.

ETA: Also, I ALWAYS did them after a relaxer.

Last edited:

InNeedofHairapy

The best curls I ever got where after receiving a steam treatment. I'd get one, but I don't know where to even look for one. I'd like the option to use both though

Definitely not bi-weekly or weekly. It is said to much steaming can actually be detrimental to the hair. I had no set times, I would space them out between 2-4 weeks, depending on how my hair felt. Initially I needed them every 2 weeks, but once my hair became healthier, I was able to stretch them out, again, depending on how my hair felt.

ETA: Also, I ALWAYS did them after a relaxer.

Really?What causes it to be detrimental?

ElegantExotic

Really?What causes it to be detrimental?

I read that in this thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=194129&highlight=steamer+careful#post194129

spagirl said:
Also, on outing day I stopped by one of Dudley's Beauty Schools/College. I was advised not to use it more that once every 2 weeks so not to make my hair mushy soft which is not a good thing. She assessed by hair and said it was fine. 1x a week for these past weeks hasn't been a negative thing but I will be careful. HTH!

I see why it can make sense, because over conditioning your hair can make it mushy. I guess if it's in bad condition you could do it weekly till it gets back on track, but I don't think it's something you would want to go overboard with all the time, because overconditioning can cause damage just like you can get damge from not conditioning (weird concept, i know)

northernbelle

When I was living in upstate NY, the JCPenney salon there had a steamer. My stylist recommended steam deep conditioning treatments, as my hair was damaged from highlights and just neglect. The steam deep conditioning treatments made a significant difference in the health and appearance of my hair. I received the treatments four weeks post-relaxer. I received the steam deep conditioning treatments three or four times during the 2004-2005 year.

BTW: I read that steam conditioning treatments are very beneficial for natural hair.

northernbelle

What you need:

~ Hot water from the facet or a microwave
~1 towel (kitchen or hand size preferably)
~1 steamer plastic cap (shower cap will do too)
~1 grocery bag
~2 scrunchies

How to do:

1. Add products to hair
2. Run the hot water in the bathtub or kitchen sink until it get really hot
3. Soak the towel in the hot water and wring it out (you may need gloves to protect your hand from the heat) or microwave the towel if you desire
4. Quickly cover your hair with the towel and secure it with a scrunchi or by tucking the ends in or under
5. Immediately cover the hot towel with the plastic steamer cap
6. Cover the plastic steamer cap with the grocery bag ponytail style. Twist the ends of the plastic ponytail until the bag fits snugly to your head and then secure the twisted end with the second scrunchi.

Total time: less than 5 minutes

My hair usually stays warm for about 20-25 minutes.

I don't have a microwave, hence the hot water. Also, I went to a number of stores trying to find the turban-style towel macheriamour used, but didn't. So I now use one of my kitchen towels. It works great.

Sometimes I repeat steps 2-6 if I want to deep condition for an hour. For overnight conditioning, I usually do steps 1-6, then remove the towel, then repeat steps 5 and 6, and then go to sleep.

Thank you, MJ, for sharing the detailed instructions.:)

BTW - MJ, and others who may be interested: I have seen the towel-turbans for sale at Sally Beauty Supply.

Last edited: