Very discouraged

Je Ne Sais Quoi

:( Ladies, I am so discouraged right now. When I started here my hair was about pixie cut length. I've grown and cut, grown and cut over the last 6 months and my hair ended up at almost shoulder length in the back. Well, unfortunately, on my left back side I had some damage (can't figure out what happened back there) so I had to cut the damaged ends off. To balance that I ended up cutting everywhere. So, 2-3 inches later I am almost back to where I started. Will post pictures later on today. I feel like giving up. It's like, whats the point you know of making all the efforts when crap like this is going to happen. I'm just pissed you know?

FlawedBeauty

awwww...sorry to hear it. what type of damage are you expierencing at the ends that you had to cut it. maybe you should just let it grow out and unevenly and cut when u get to your desired length. your hair may just be growing out unevenly as mine does. my right side thrives while my left side is just, ehhh. dont give up, we jut need to have lots and lots of patience :) :)

goldensensation

Dont feel discouraged. Your hair will grow back beautifully. Think of how much more you know now than when you started. The first thing that you have to do now is figure out why that one side was damaged. After you do that, your hair will be at shoulder (and BEYOND) in no time.

nomoweavesfome

FlawedBeauty said:
awwww...sorry to hear it. what type of damage are you expierencing at the ends that you had to cut it. maybe you should just let it grow out and unevenly and cut when u get to your desired length. your hair may just be growing out unevenly as mine does. my right side thrives while my left side is just, ehhh. dont give up, we jut need to have lots and lots of patience :) :)

me too.. If you look in my album you can clearly see my right is better than my left for some reason.
I'm dealing with the same crap. my hair is pretty much damaged as well and it doesn't help that I do so much crap to it trying to get it right, but I'm actually not cutting anything until I at least get right below shoulder lenght and then I'll regularly trim at shoulder legth for a few months to get some of the damage out.

But goody for you that you cut the damage out completely. That's actually better in my opinion, I just don't have the guts to do it.

Don't give up because of the length, just think of the health you are gaining from the cut.

carmella25

Dont give up. There are tons of us on here who have had set backs and Im one of them. Just keep going dont give up ever. You will reach you desired goals.;)

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Don't feel discouraged, just quit cutting your hair.

You at very least know that your hair can grow from pixie to just about shoulder length in six months. So there is hope. But if you get damage instead of trying to even or 'balance' things out, wear your hair in curly styles (pin curls/rollersets/etc) so that the differening lengths aren't so obvious.

blazingthru

I so agree, don't get up . next time don't cut your hair wear it in a bun or get some braids until it grow out enough to wear a bun. My daughter had a lot of hair loss on one said of her head. I braided it up and put MTG in it until it came back. Now you would never ever know that one side was a tiny afro whereas the rest was shoulder length. I learned that in a book I read that if one sides gets messed up take care of it more but don't cut all your hair because of it. In six months time (which will fly by) your hair should be even longer.

divya

Just keep on going girl. Your hair will grow regardless. Do you cut your own hair? If so, maybe you should throw out your scissors. Just let your hair grow, other than an occasional trim.

gymfreak336

I went through this same thing this summer. I will get better because you will learn from your mistakes and make better choices. I don't think anyone here has started from a short cut and made it to brastrap length and beyond with out setbacks and having to cut inches at a time to improve overall health. The best hair is healthy hair so if you just keep that in mind the length will come. I got the best growth when I was just trying to keep my hair conditioned and clean instead of obsessing over how long I had to go to reach my goal. Hugs from a fellow short cut ;)

Mahalialee4

Brebre: Some of us need to hide away the scizzors. I used to be a compulsive hair cutter. I'd just start cutting and forget to quit til it was just an inch long all over my head. Some of us just react to things so quickly. Now, I keep my hair scizzors basically locked away and trim (dust) once a year maybe.
Dear, put the scissors away and put all your focus on your hair care skills and you will be back on top in no time. I know you can. Sorry for your discouragment right now, but it will pass and you will rise to meet the challenge of even longer than before. bonjour

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Aww guys your encouragement made me want to bawl :lol: (I'm a big sensitive baby sometimes). I thank you for taking the time out of your day to get my out of my emotional slump. I WILL take your advice and get rid of the scissors TODAY!

blueabyss333

Don't give up Bre. If you look in my fotki I had to go through the same thing. I was so discouraged when I saw the results. I was kicking myself for "trying to be cute" instead of CONSISTENTLY protecting and moisturizing my ends. But it let me know two things: 1. I KNOW I can grow my hair longer than shoulder length 2. All the advice and methods we learn on here REALLY does work. You'll be back in no time.

sistawithsumthin

*Bre~Bre* said:
:( Ladies, I am so discouraged right now. When I started here my hair was about pixie cut length. I've grown and cut, grown and cut over the last 6 months and my hair ended up at almost shoulder length in the back. Well, unfortunately, on my left back side I had some damage (can't figure out what happened back there) so I had to cut the damaged ends off. To balance that I ended up cutting everywhere. So, 2-3 inches later I am almost back to where I started. Will post pictures later on today. I feel like giving up. It's like, whats the point you know of making all the efforts when crap like this is going to happen. I'm just pissed you know?

Do you wear rings? I can't remember the name of the thread but someone on here showed a pic of their hair shorter on the left side. She said she read about how wedding ring's snagging hair and when she looked down there was a hair on her engagement ring!:eek:

The pic she showed you could see a noticeable difference from one side to the next.

I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:

sistawithsumthin

I found it. Not sure how to do this so I tried two ways.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=82448&highlight=left+side

What! *That* can tear your hair out?
...I guess I should have thought of it myself, but I didn't. :ohwell:

This month I decided to take a length measurement (my first) and guess what?! My hair was a whooping 1.5 inches longer on the left side than the right. :confused::mad::(

As if that wasn't bad enough it was also thicker with fewer split ends. My first thought was oh no, my hair's growing faster on one side. But that was easy to rule out. The new growth is exactly the same on both sides. Then I thought I must sleep on that side. Nope, I actually sleep on the longer side. Then while searching through one of the white chica's long hair sites there was the answer. She mentioned her jewelry causing undue stress on her tresses. I thought nawl, that can't be it and glance down at my engagement ring only to find a single strand of hair stuck in one of the prongs. :eek::sad: My baby was tearing out my baby. :( I guess, sibling rivalry is ugly even among the inanimate. :lol: So, now I remove my e-ring before grooming.

Just thought I'd share.

caribeandiva

Human being
awww... that sucks! i get so frustrated too when i don't see noticeable progress. your hair'll grow. just keep doing what you're doing and it'll all work out in the end. if it doesn't work out, then it's not the end!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Don't be discouraged Bre
. I'm going through pretty much the same thing as you. This has been about the 4th time of me having to even up my hair. The last two trims I had to loose 2 to 3 inches so at times I feel like I'm getting no where. I'm working hard at keeping it even this time but I've come to the conclusion that if my right side gets longer again I'm leaving it alone! These set backs are brutal.