Virgin Self-Texlax Tomorrow..A bit nervous

EDIT/UPDATE

Took me forever, but I attached recent pics. (5-6 months later T.T So sorry) My texlax didn't really take, so there's not a super different in my hair. Since my first one, I haven't texted again, decided to just leave my hair be :grin:

Below is one flat-ironed pic (I did it myself...poorly so it's not really super straight and I'm leaning against a wall) and the other is my shrunken braidout (it didn't dry since I did it at 2am and undid it at 8 am xD)

Thanks to everyone for all their help. Sorry it took forever :ohwell:, but hopefully better late then never:grin:

Hey everyone. I plan on doing my own self-texlax tomorrow after I get home from work. I'm 18 (Almost APL Type 4 with no definitive curl pattern. Fine strands and dense hair) and have never had my hair relaxed in my life, so I'm a bit nervous. I'm relaxing it mostly to cut down on management time since I'll be going off to college next week. It currently takes me about 3+ hours to wash, deep condition, and detangle my hair (without doing any styling)..While before that was fine with me, I don't think I want to spend my Saturdays in college doing that when I could be studying or out with friends soo...I'm taking the plunge..I plan on doing it myself (tho I did ask a friend to come monitor me, she can't make it..) I just wanted some input from other members on my current plan of attack. I have 95% of the materials purchased and at home right now (still need to buy a mixing bowl, measuring cup/spoons, and some conditioner)

What I Have
Two 15oz Jars of Alter Ego Linange Shea Butter Relaxer
One 16oz Bottle of Alter Ego Linange Neutralizing Conditioner
One Bottle of Profectiv Neutralizing Mousse Shampoo
Joico K-pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
Two Jars of Petroleum Jelly ( =( I scratched)
4oz Jar of Neutral Protein Filler
Silk Amino Acids
Shower Caps
Hair Clips
Gloves (I have 49 extra pairs if someone wants some..lol)
Applicator Brush
Gonna buy some cholesterol conditioner

My Plan
So I plan to detangle my hair before I begin with my fingers and harvesting some hair to run a couple of strand tests on. I'm gonna base tonight and tomorrow before I begin, apply generous amount to the edges. (I think I might put some SAA on my baby hairs and nape too..) I'm gonna mix the relaxer with some cholesterol conditioner, some of the neutral protein filler, and some silk amino acids. (Unsure what ratio I should add each..) I'm going for an about 50-65% looser than my current texture (but I'm not sure how it'll turn out tomorrow). Since I have fine strands, I hope that'll help it maintain some integrity while cutting down on some wash/detangle time. I'll judge by the strand tests tomorrow how long I'll leave it in.

I did an Aphogee hard core about 2 weeks ago (would've done it sooner but I kept putting off the relaxer date) and henna last friday (just to try it...first time there too)

I'm gonna work with 3 sections (following LondonDiva's tutorial) one back section and 2 front sections. After rinsing out the relaxer (I'll be using the shower), I'll put the joico in my hair for 5 minutes before rinsing and applying the neutralizing conditioner for another 5 minutes. I'll then rinse and apply the profectiv neutralizing shampoo for probably another 10. (I wanna make sure it's definitely neutralized...and wanted to use the color indicator). After that I'll probably apply AO HSR to the finished section and move on to the next part. Once finished with all three sections I think I'll rinse and just apply the neutralizing shampoo once more to all the parts (Can never be too safe, right?) Then I'll apply more AO and deep condition for a while. (Then I'll go neutralize the shower..lol)

I wanted to know if I'm doing too much, too little, or just enough? I'm unsure how much I should add into the relaxer without over-doing it. If anyone wanted to add any input, advice, opinions, please do :grin: Thanks.

Attachments

• Flatironed Hair.jpg
    Flatironed Hair.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Shrunken Braidout.jpg
    Shrunken Braidout.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

FlawedBeauty

i would coat ur entire head with something to slow the process down even further since it is your first time and you have fine hair. for some reason i cant think right now what lol sorry. someone else will chime in im sure...

sqzbly1908

Hi Friend!

You certainly have a plan...what I would recommend is maybe leaving your neutralizing condish and neutralizing shampoo on a little longer and do your multiple washes at once versus conditioning (AO HSR) and then using the the neutralizing shampoo ...you don't want to manipulate your hair more than necessary since it is its most fragile state....

Others will definitely chime in but I feel you on being overly cautious versus not enough....

beans4reezy

I do not self relax, so I wouldnt be that helpful..I just wanted to chime in and say good luck! Keep is posted on how it turns out :)

Thanks for the inputso far guys ^_^ and well wishes! I'll try to find my digital camera tonight so I can get pictures.

Sqzbly, I think I'll add in a couple more washes and will leave the shampoo in longer. Maybe instead of coating the already relaxed hair with AO HSR before moving to the next section (covering with a shower cap) I should put the neutralizing conditioner and just apply toe AO HSR when I finish everything and get ready to deep condition? I plan to cover an already relaxed section with one of the shower caps before I move on but wanted something on the strands in case I messed up x.x;

Alright. Finished purchasing the last of the supplies (lutrasilk olive oil cholesterol conditioner, bobby pins, mixing bowl, measuring cups, wooden spoon to mix with, and a timer which I completely forgot about till I saw it in the store). Guess it's on o.o..

Montego I hope your touch up goes well! Cool coincidence. Thank you and good luck to you too. :)

justnotsure

I would lightly coat my hair with some type of oil before the whole process. I used Amla or Bhrami oil from the Indian Grocer...I would think you could use coconut oil or any other type (I have also used jojoba oil). Good luck...can't wait to see the pics!

sqzbly1908

Thanks for the inputso far guys ^_^ and well wishes! I'll try to find my digital camera tonight so I can get pictures.

Sqzbly, I think I'll add in a couple more washes and will leave the shampoo in longer. Maybe instead of coating the already relaxed hair with AO HSR before moving to the next section (covering with a shower cap) I should put the neutralizing conditioner and just apply toe AO HSR when I finish everything and get ready to deep condition? I plan to cover an already relaxed section with one of the shower caps before I move on but wanted something on the strands in case I messed up x.x;

That sounds like a plan! - after I do my final neutralizing wash, I would wash my hair with a moisturizing shampoo (I use Kenra MS) as those neutralizing shampoos can be pretty stripping...

I'll have a light coating on coconut oil on my hair from sealing daily :) I don't know if that's enough? I'm not sure how much I'll cut the relaxer with the conditioner and don't want to stop it from doing its job.

That sounds like a plan! - after I do my final neutralizing wash, I would wash my hair with a moisturizing shampoo (I use Kenra MS) as those neutralizing shampoos can be pretty stripping...

Alright, thanks sqzbly. I never found a good moisturizng shampoo x.x but I'll go with coating the texlaxed strands with the neutralizing conditioner while working on the other sections. Then I'll rinse out and deep condition :grin:

Thanks :grin: Basing my scalp now with the petroleum and detangling with some water x.x my hair has so many single strand knots it's ridiculous..I'm probably gonna have to find someone to trim me after tomorrow.

deusa80

Good luck! I'm going to be texlaxing my NG by myself next week and I'm kinda nervous about that...
Have you checked out the texlaxer's support thread?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=131009
In case you haven't there are a lot of good ideas there!

I use alter ego relaxer too...it's a really good relaxer. Are you using the lye or no-lye? With all the products you're using it sounds like you won't have to worry about overprocessing unless you left the relaxer on for a really long time...
I'm still unsure about whether cholesterol is a protein conditioner or not...but it sounds like you're adding a lot of protein to your relaxer, so be careful with that. I don't know if you can use too much protein while relaxing, but just wanted to point that out...I'm no expert!

Anyway, I hope it turns out well....we'd love to see some pics when you're done!

Last edited:
Thanks for the link deusa ^_^ I'll probably read through the thread during work tomorrow lol. I'm using alter ego lye. I heard it was a pretty good relaxer from miamori's thread and decided to go with it ^^
I wasn't sure how cholesterol would be classified but it is a fatty substance so should be kinda moisturizing..idk. Here's a link to a thread I was looking at regarding it.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=57138

I hope your touch up goes well ^^ and thanks for the well wishes. I'm gonna finish basing my head and turn it.

deusa80

Thanks for the thread link! I hope that texlaxing thread was useful to you. How did your texlaxing turn out?

I'm deep conditioning with AO HSR right now. xD I think it loosened about 40-50%. reduced shrinkage but not as loose as I thought. xD I'm gonna sleep in the condition and rinse out tomorrow, then do a wash and go. Pics will follow :D

The back is alot less loose then the front sections, since it was the first section I did and my sister and I (my little sister helped me:grin:) were panicking. Imagine two girls rushing trying to rinse out relaxer in a cramped shower. No burns, thank goodness. I'm asking her to hold the shower hose and then trying to do some weird bridge type move. Bet it was a sight to see :lachen:

I mixed the 15oz jar of Alter Ego with a cup of cholesterol conditioner, a capful of SAA, and a cap and a half of neutral protein filler. The mixture was enough for my whole head (I was kinda stingy with the back tho at first..fear..lol) I left each part on for 10 minutes. Once I did the first section, I calmed down a bit and the last two went very easily. I applied Joico to each section before neutralizing.

I neutralized each section the conditioner for 5 minutes, then the shampoo for 10 minutes, then the shampoo for another 3, then I covered it in the neutralizing conditioner again while I went to the next section. I think I neutralized enough....I used up the whole neutralizing conditioner bottle and all the neutralizing mousse...Mostly on my head, tho the last 7/8 of each bottle I used to clean my body and the shower glass..

I started around 8-8:30 and finished at 12:30. but that included cleaning the bathroom counter, sink, several pairs of gloves, etc.

I'll see how it turns out tomorrow anyway.:drunk:

Miamori

Yay! I'm glad nothing bad happened. :)

At least it didn't relax your curl too much. That would be my fear.

ajargon02

I noticed that you said that you don't really have definition. I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but from what others have said, the texturizer will only loosen the curl pattern that you already have. You might want to check out lovelymissyoli's texturizing technique. I know that she put her hair in small twists, then texturized in sections so everything came out uniform and was all timed the same. I know that she's a member here and has a fotki account, where you can see the photos of what her hair ended up looking like after doing the "twist" then texurize method. Good luck, and if you can post some before and after pics for us to see ;)

Mmm, took pictures of my drying wash and go. Gotta go find my camera's connector right now. I'm going to the mall today though, so pics will be up tonight the latest :grin: That way I can take a picture of it 100% dry too.

Mmm, I'm only 50% satisfied with the way my hair turned out. I was worried about going toooo straight so only left it in for 10 minutes (smoothed the last 2 mintes), but after rinsing out my conditioner today, it seems like it didn't do too much. A little upset :ohwell: But it still looks good. I think 15 minutes and more smoothing would've been better. I'll consider doing a corrective in a few weeks. (My hair is noticeably weaker so I'm gonna baby it for a while) My main thing is it wasn't THAT much easier to detangle in the shower, which was like the #1 point of me texlaxing. So I'm a little sad :sad:.

Ah well, it still looks pretty cool :D Shrinkage is now at my neck and a little below my cheek. Before it was like..above my eyes.

Thanks for the tip btw Ajargon. :grin: I saw missyoli's pictures but didn't think I'd be able to pull it off successfully. I kinda like the texture I do have even though it's not defined. It's drying with little s's which together looks like a puffy cloud.

vkb247

You can't set your hair with lye. You would have to process it with a thio chemical or something like that to get definition from twists. Missyoli's pics are beautiful but have mislead a lot of people because it seems as if the texture was permanent but I know that when she washed it or manipulated it thosee uniform curls were gone. It doesn't quite work like that.

Don't be upset if your hair didn't come out the way you like. Better curlier than too straight. When you text your hair, the way it looks with the relaxer in is going to be straighter than it will be once it dries and shrinks up and sometimes it will even revert a bit. Some people are brave enough to go to an almost wavy look to get the curls they want when dry.

mswoman

Try pressing it out a little with a flat iron to get it a little smoother... that may help with your detangler...

longhairlover

honestly I would have a professional hair stylist do it, find a good one and let them do your first relaxer, you don't want to damage your hair, leave it in too long, not run the relaxer through your hair properly leading to under processing, not rinsing the relaxer out properly etc, these are things you should consider first, I never relax my relaxers out in the shower you don't want those chemicals touching your skin/body because at the end of the day it is a very harsh and strong chemical.

just my thoughts on the matter, if you chose to do it yourself, good luck and use a good base on your forehead, ears and neck areas. Summit has a good base to protect your skin.

Yea. I think I freaked out when the relaxer was in my hair because it seemed sooo straight. But now that I finished my wash and go I see it wasn't even close to processed. I took a picture of today's WnG before tying it down but I still can't find my camera cord :\

Thanks for the suggestion mswoman ^^ I'm kind of afraid of heat tho, I get split ends very easily even if I press once in a long while.

I'll just do a corrective to get it a bit looser in a couple of weeks.

butterfly_wings

I know its late but to add, you can mix ACV with water to quickly neutralise this will cut down how may times you need to shampoo

Looking forward to seeing your pictures