Vitamin Overload! Are you taking too much?

AFashionSlave

I just read a one page article in this month's self magazine called Vitamin Overload! I read the brief article and downsized my supplement intake. Remember: you have to add in the vitamins that you already receive from food.

Here is a brief overview:
Calcium RDA:1,000 milligrams. Safe upper limit: 2500 mg
Too much can cause kidney stones, decreased magnesium adsorption.
I eat at least three servings of milk a day along with the calcium within GNC Women's Ultra Mega. Two GNC Ultra Megas already contain 50% of your daily calcium & magnesium intake.
blush.gif
My calcium intake is too high.

Vitamin C RDA: 75 mg. Safe upper limit 2000 mg. If you are a healthy eater and are taking a powerful multi-vitamin you may be getting too much Vitamin C. I eat a lot of citrus fruit along with my daily multi-vitamin.
shocked.gif
I am already taking too much Vitamin C.

Here is some additional information about the fat-soluble vitamins A,E,D, and K. These vitamins can be toxic. Count your mgs to make sure you are not taking too much.

http://www.daily-vitamins.com/fat.html

I posted a warning a while ago about vitamin A. If anyone else has anymore info about vitamin overload please post it here.

I only take Biotin...I may add a multi. I don't know about the hair but I love the way my nails look and feel. I was always able to grow my nails to a nice length but they are stronger now and I'm sure it's the Biotin.
clap.gif

I read somewhere that you can't overdose on water-soluble vitamins like C. If there is too much, you usually pee it out. The one I'm worried about is vitamin A because that does real damage to your liver. That and any other fat-soluble vitamins.

[ QUOTE ]
I just read a one page article in this month's self magazine called Vitamin Overload! I read the brief article and downsized my supplement intake. Remember: you have to add in the vitamins that you already receive from food.

I eat at least three servings of milk a day along with the calcium within GNC Women's Ultra Mega. Two GNC Ultra Megas already contain 50% of your daily calcium & magnesium intake.
blush.gif

Vitamin C RDA: 75 mg. Safe upper limit 2000 mg. If you are a healthy eater and are taking a powerful multi-vitamin you may be getting too much Vitamin C. I eat a lot of citrus fruit along with my daily multi-vitamin.
shocked.gif

Here is some additional information about the fat-soluble vitamins A,E,D, and K. These vitamins can be toxic. Count your mgs to make sure you are not taking too much.

I posted a warning a while ago about vitamin A. If anyone else has anymore info about vitamin overload please post it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Everyone!
wave.gif

From the reading I've done, everyone needs more, more, more vitamin C. In the last book I read, it talked about people with HIV taking 50,000mg of vitamin C
shocked.gif
. I thought that was a lot, but the point is, your immune system desperately needs C. And to determine how much C you need, you're supposed to keep upping your dose (1000mg and up), until you develop loose stools (no pretty way to say it
ooo.gif
). Anyway, that would tell you how much your body can handle.

As for calcium---magnesium and calcium go hand in hand. One can't work without the other being present, so if you're getting a lot of calcium in your diet, you've best get a magnesium supplement. And if you get a supplement that contains magnesium and calcium, make sure there's a higher % of magnesium.

And for anyone who's taking evening primrose or other omega 6 oils, make sure you're getting enough omega 3 oils like flaxseed because there needs to be a balance in your body, and omega 3 oils are super, super important.

One more thing, you're not supposed to take iron with vitamin E. And if you take iron, the effects can be greater if it's taken at the same time with vitamin C. I believe MSM works better with vitamin C also.

That's it. Thanks for the post AFashionSlave
weird.gif

This is a great post! However, let's not forget that supplements are NOT FDA regulated. I make sure that everything I purchase comes from a reputable store and manufactured in the U.S.
"buyer beware"
naughty.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

blush.gif

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Everyone!
wave.gif

From the reading I've done, everyone needs more, more, more vitamin C. In the last book I read, it talked about people with HIV taking 50,000mg of vitamin C
shocked.gif
. I thought that was a lot, but the point is, your immune system desperately needs C. And to determine how much C you need, you're supposed to keep upping your dose (1000mg and up), until you develop loose stools (no pretty way to say it
ooo.gif
). Anyway, that would tell you how much your body can handle.

As for calcium---magnesium and calcium go hand in hand. One can't work without the other being present, so if you're getting a lot of calcium in your diet, you've best get a magnesium supplement. And if you get a supplement that contains magnesium and calcium, make sure there's a higher % of magnesium.

And for anyone who's taking evening primrose or other omega 6 oils, make sure you're getting enough omega 3 oils like flaxseed because there needs to be a balance in your body, and omega 3 oils are super, super important.

One more thing, you're not supposed to take iron with vitamin E. And if you take iron, the effects can be greater if it's taken at the same time with vitamin C. I believe MSM works better with vitamin C also.

That's it. Thanks for the post AFashionSlave
weird.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is great info. Now I am a little confused about what vitamins I should be taking. Hopefully someone else will post what they know about supplements also.

I always try to take water soluble vitamins and not the fat soluble types because if I get too much of a water soluble vitamin it will be flushed right out.

if you need more vitamin c, eat more fruit instead of vitmains. Apples area good source of vitmain C, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Try to eat more fruits and veegies for natural sources of votamins because alot of those pills are synthetic.

kiss.gif
thanks for postin this coz it sure is enuf to make u think twice about some of the vits we take!!

Back