Waist Length Challenge 2015

Duchess007

I already moisturize and seal in my twists every other day, but now I'm going to also shampoo/co-cleanse them and Dc in them as well. Everything seems to be easier in twists too.

I totally agree!

My twists don't want to hold up very long tho. Random hairs come loose and have a tangle party. :-/ 2 weeks max.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

JosieLynn

Duchess007 bdg0005 have either of you thought of making your wigs? I thought it would be really hard, but if you know how to do a sew-in you can make a wig, and buy hair for a decent price off aliexpress.com

JosieLynn

I think I will start incorporating a modified Crown & Glory method. So far this set of twists has held up better than the others. I think it's because they are smaller with braided roots, but not mini. I will try to leave them in for 2 - 3 more weeks. I will do another set at the end of the month and try to keep them in until the end of the year just in time for the new year. I already moisturize and seal in my twists every other day, but now I'm going to also shampoo/co-cleanse them and Dc in them as well. Everything seems to be easier in twists too.

What's the crown and glory method???

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I totally agree!

My twists don't want to hold up very long tho. Random hairs come loose and have a tangle party. :-/ 2 weeks max.

This has happened to me as well. I braided the roots this time, so it seems to help a lot. Some hairs still came loose, but I think it has more to do with how I rub my scalp a lot for my growth aides.

What's the crown and glory method???

It is when you wear your hair in braid extensions for retention. This was the original regimen. Now ppl do it in their own hair, wigs, weaves etc. You still wash, DC, and moisturize with a braid spray. I will use my own hair in twists. Usually my twists don't hold up more than two weeks. But I will try to keep this set in longer than that. We'll see.

Duchess007

Duchess007 bdg0005 have either of you thought of making your wigs? I thought it would be really hard, but if you know how to do a sew-in you can make a wig, and buy hair for a decent price off aliexpress.com

I've actually been thinking about this a lot, but I worry about how expensive a mistake could be if I try to DIY. Plus I've never had a weave or worn a wig. I know how a sew-in is done in theory...

And then I hear about hair nits and fungus that people find in their weave hair and I'm like, "back to kanekalon braids!" :lol:

Been doing these myself since I was a teenager:

image-3682940067.jpg

image-4234193585.jpg

image-4177061685.jpg

image-3610630038.jpg

image-2740260557.jpg

I braid and boil and end up with some texture.

image-1914449797.jpg

That's as adventurous as I've gotten so far. I REALLY want a u part and I've seen some really cute pre-made ones. But I'm convinced the death worm is in each and every hair. :-/

image-4062929900.jpg

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1099995050.html

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
You're a good braider! Duchess007. I've been doing my own braids since I was a teen as well. I've done pretty much everything myself except fancy cornrows.

NaturalfienD

Checking in …

That was one hell of a hiatus! Happy to be back and sharing updates with y'all. My hair is still in a PS (Marley Twists) and I'm applying my sulfur mix often. I am cowashing once a week to keep my hair happy and my scalp right. Exercising has helped tremendously with growth, too. So much so that I have to continue if I want my hair to grow how I would like it to grow … exercise is good for you and all that but after a month or two, I'm over it.

Someone asked (like in October, ha!) what was a good way to encourage growth/enhance retention to get longer hair (excuse the paraphrase.) For me, it is truly protective styling. I learned that this is true, for me, after spending 6-9 months with loose hair … I had lots of breakage, dried out strands and the like (hair is type 4, fine.) Even with gentle treatment and making sure that I wasn't in my head too much, I had setbacks. There are some who can run combs through their hair daily, flat iron weekly, never do a protein treatment/deep condition and make it to longer lengths with ease … unfortunately, I'm not able to do that. I couldn't get away with roller setting without my hair snapping off :nono:, that was the final straw for me and back to braids I went.

As much as I would love to have my fro out or to try out new updos, I'm keeping my hair braided up (crown and glory chile) until the last week of December 2015. To make it through, I keep telling myself that it don't mean a thang if I ain't got that swang!

I hope you all are doing well …

loulou82

IA NaturalfienD- Protective styles are great.

Out styles actually worked well for me when my hair was under 9 inches. I wore the heck out of my WNG and puffs. Then I went to protective styles and that pushed me to 17 inches (annnddd neglect set in and I'm back to BSB and have been hovering here since 2012 :perplexed). I'm back in protective styles with proper care.

NaturalfienD

IA NaturalfienD- Protective styles are great.

Out styles actually worked well for me when my hair was under 9 inches. I wore the heck out of my WNG and puffs. Then I went to protective styles and that pushed me to 17 inches (annnddd neglect set in and I'm back to BSB and have been hovering here since 2012 :perplexed). I'm back in protective styles with proper care.

You have given me soooo much hope!!! Protective styling got you to 17 inches?! Yes please!!! If you gained that kind of length before, I know you can do it again (and more) with ease … you know what to expect and how to get there. I'm cheering for you girlfriend and thanks for the inspiration!!

JJamiah

Hello ladies, I hope you enjoyed your weekend. I am suppose to take my hair out this coming week, But I think I will wait four more weeks. I have a lot to do for school and hair isn't top on my list.

Thank you ladies for keeping this challenge going. In four weeks you just might grow tired of my presence. .lol..

One of the first styles I look forward to doing is s curlformers set.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Hi Ladies, checking in, not much is going on with me. My hair is on cruise control and I like it that way. Adding Fenugreek to my reggie has been a lifesaver! I'm in a braided bun for the next 2weeks. Once I take this down I will do a hard protein and back to bunning I go.

ImanAdero

I just trimmed my hair after my stylist only trimmed the bottom layer last week.

I actually did a pretty good job. In gonna try to rock out with this press for another week and then I'm going to do a GOOD deep conditioner. I might do a strong protein followed up by a moisturizing one.

loulou82

Thanks NaturalfienD!We'll get there together. :grin: I'm so ready to get over this hump. Consistency and simplicity are key but I haven't been taking my own advice. I'm trying to get back to the length I was earlier in the year and then grow from there. I've trimmed in April and September trying to get rid of damage. I want a good start for 2014.

Picture: Jan/February 2013. I'll have a starting pic for this challenge at the end of December.

Last edited:

loulou82

Hi Ladies, checking in, not much is going on with me. My hair is on cruise control and I like it that way. Adding Fenugreek to my reggie has been a lifesaver! I'm in a braided bun for the next 2weeks. Once I take this down I will do a hard protein and back to bunning I go.

Firstborn2 how do you use Fenugreek and what has done for your hair?

ImanAdero

Has anyone used Cantu Shea Butter's Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream?

I used to use their Leave In Conditioning Hair Repair Cream when my hair was shorter.

I just want to perfect a wash and go is all. And not have to worry about extreme tangling. I feel like if I just get the right product I might be able to get 2 day hair lol.

So anyone tried it?

TheRealMe

CHANGE UP!

I randomly decided to braid up!

I bought a few packages of kanekalon hair days ago and started braiding. TOOK FOREVER :spinning: or so it felt, but I'm done and it was worth it!

I'm liking it. Yup, still gonna wash and condition. I think I will focus on deep protein treatments and using a spray bottle concoction to keep my braids moisturized. It's going to be very simple for a while. Gonna try and get 2 months out of them. Re-braid my edges if I need. Style cost me about $11. Can't beat that.

Attachments

• nov 11 123.JPG
    nov 11 123.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 39
  • nov 11 13.JPG
    nov 11 13.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Last edited:

divatee08

Hi,

I'd like to join in! I've lurked for a while and decided to join this forum.

My hair hasn't seen a relaxer for at least 4 - 5 years. I was a press n curl gal til I discovered the WONDERS OF THE WEAVE :yep:

I wore weaves and braids alternately for the past 3 years until last April I recognized that I was causing serious damage my 'fronts' (I loved my flat iron). I decided to take out the weave to see what my actual hair texture was :ohwell:

Since then, I've gotten great results. My bangs are now CL and the rest of my hair is between SL and APL. My avatar is a selfie back in April (I think day 2 of operation Free My Hair).

My Reggie:

Wash: 1x per week w/ DIY mud wash or Boobeam poo bar (like shealoe and the ayurvedic one). I pre poo with condish mixed with coconut oil and evoo or argan oil.

DC: 1x per week after wash. Usually DIY. Lately I've been using silicon (bamboo) mix & kanechon (aloe) with added kokum butter and other oils + proteins (goat milk powder, coconut milk, eggs - I have very fine hair)

Co-wash: 1x per week with DIY ayurvedic mix ala Anita Grant deep condish or Organix Macadamia Oil or Tressemme Naturals mixed with 'something'

Henna/indigo 1x per month, ayurvedic powders 2+x per month

Moisturize daily w/H2o and/or Kimmaytube mix

I am a WNG girl, twist/braid outs make my hair look stringy. I do use curlformers and will do occasional buns or the 'tuck n roll' as my PS. I don't want to go back to braids and weaves for now.

Guinan

Re-Branding
CHANGE UP!

I randomly decided to braid up!

I bought a few packages of kanekalon hair days ago and started braiding. TOOK FOREVER :spinning: or so it felt, but I'm done and it was worth it!

I'm liking it. Yup, still gonna wash and condition. I think I will focus on deep protein treatments and using a spray bottle concoction to keep my braids moisturized. It's going to be very simple for a while. Gonna try and get 2 months out of them. Re-braid my edges if I need. Style cost me about $11. Can't beat that.

TheRealMe, what kindof conditioner will u be using for ur braids? I just finished braiding my hair too & also plan on keeping them in for about 2mths. When I had my sengelese twist & used thicker conditioner, I noticed it was harder to wash out the conditioner. Do u still DC while in braids?

fifigirl

Current length: APL (as at August 2013, haven’t done a length check till dec 2013 when I relax hair)
Ultimate length : Waist length by Jan 2015
Relaxed hair
Regimen: Relax every 4 months (this might change to 6 months next year)
Wash every week with moisturizing shampoo; clarify once a month with chelating shampoo
Condition- with every wash. Interchange between mild protein treatment and moisturizing conditioner. Every 6 weeks I use aphogee 2 step treatment
From week 6-8 depending on growth I start cowashing hair
Braid between week 10-11 when hair is becoming unmanageable.
Inches to waist length: I really do not know as I avoid measuring hair in inches in order not to get manic about my hair growth.
Tips/tricks: I use Njoy’s sulphur growth oil (been using it since august 2013), everyday. I do ghe about 3-5 times a week depending on how I feel. This week I started doing it for 2 hours daily (don’t know what good it was but I can swear my braids feel so soft and moisturized these days)
I do inversions every month with hot oil (heat njoy’s oil) for a week. I’m on my second month
I take 5000mg of Biotin every night
I drink gallons of water these days.
Issues: None at the moment. I try to do a lot of research as I am hair obsessed and I avoid anything that will give a setback. I also research every product I use completely as I think I’ll break down if I have a setback :grin:

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
So far I like wearing the sock bun, it helped to keep my ends stretched unlike my regular buns. Hopefully sock buns will get me past SL

TheRealMe

TheRealMe, what kindof conditioner will u be using for ur braids? I just finished braiding my hair too & also plan on keeping them in for about 2mths. When I had my sengelese twist & used thicker conditioner, I noticed it was harder to wash out the conditioner. Do u still DC while in braids?

Yes I do. Mostly protein. I figure strengthening my hair as it holds a bit extra weight is helpful in the long run. I wore b2b braids for almost 10 months some time back and the protein treatments aided excellently.

I make my own DCs with protein. There are many types. Sometimes I use the classic mayo/egg conditioner, add a bit of EVOO and honey. It can be kind of thick, but that depends on the amount of ingredients you use so you can alter that based on your needs. I apply thin layer (less is more on most occasions for me) to the hair shaft only, not scalp, not ends of extensions. Rise out with cool water. Take your time with the rinsing process. After all, our hair is bound in synthetic braids.

Sometimes I just add an egg to one of my fav conditioner. Can be creamy, as most conditioner are (partly because of the "alcohols" used in the ingredients). I usually rinse in cool temp water anyhow, but with egg it is vital that you do, always.

I don't really have a step by step routine or product I will follow every week. I just do what I feel my hair needs, when it needs. My hair retains well with protein, and it'll be strong for the take down process. And let's not forget trusty YouTube, also providing other creative ideas. I hope this answered your question. :)

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I loveeeeee my braids. It feels sooo good not to have to prep my hair for a braidout or worry how my hair is gonna look for work after an intense cardio session

Jobwright

Current length: Approaching APL
Ultimate length : Waist length by Jan 2015
Relaxed hair
Regimen: I am still working on my stretching system. Currently relax about every 9 weeks
I wash or cowash twice a week. Prepoo with fenugreek, marshmallow root and slippery elm, oil of choice, AOHSR, honey, Rooibos, oolong and/or black tea (covers my greys nicely). Air dry, roller set and the occasional blow out once air dried. Buns are easy and often.
Tips/tricks: Currently using Naptural85's hair and body oil to seal daily with Vo5 or Neutrogena Triple Moisture leaveIn. Aphogee 2 minute very 2-3 weeks and as a mid step during relaxer
I do inversions every month with hot oil (Shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil and sulphur mix) for a week. I’m on my second month
I may start back on Biotin and MSM but I only want hair to grow in my head. Vitamins make hair grow e-ver-y-where in me and I don't like that so much.
Issues: None currently since I figured out the Aphogee 2 minute is a must every few weeks when cowashing twice weekly. I haven't trimmed in 3 months and my ends are good, so I will stay away from the scissors until it is a requirement. knock on wood...

Jobwright

Current length: APL (as at August 2013, haven’t done a length check till dec 2013 when I relax hair) Ultimate length : Waist length by Jan 2015 Relaxed hair Regimen: Relax every 4 months (this might change to 6 months next year) Wash every week with moisturizing shampoo; clarify once a month with chelating shampoo Condition- with every wash. Interchange between mild protein treatment and moisturizing conditioner. Every 6 weeks I use aphogee 2 step treatment From week 6-8 depending on growth I start cowashing hair Braid between week 10-11 when hair is becoming unmanageable. Inches to waist length: I really do not know as I avoid measuring hair in inches in order not to get manic about my hair growth. Tips/tricks: I use Njoy’s sulphur growth oil (been using it since august 2013), everyday. I do ghe about 3-5 times a week depending on how I feel. This week I started doing it for 2 hours daily (don’t know what good it was but I can swear my braids feel so soft and moisturized these days) I do inversions every month with hot oil (heat njoy’s oil) for a week. I’m on my second month I take 5000mg of Biotin every night I drink gallons of water these days. Issues: None at the moment. I try to do a lot of research as I am hair obsessed and I avoid anything that will give a setback. I also research every product I use completely as I think I’ll break down if I have a setback :grin:
We have a similar check in, may be hair twins....