Waist Length Challenge 2015

ImanAdero

@ImanAdero
Yay, hurray for you! I have yet to do a protein treatment and it has been 5 months since my last flatiron that caused me some heat damage. Maybe I should actually do it...

As for professionally done twists, perhaps stretch your hair with curlformers? Does your salon work with curlformer sets? I also noticed that you are probably around my area (the stylist you go to for your weaves is a close friend of my cousin's who is literally 5 minutes from my parents' home) and was wondering who do you go to for the twists and at what price?
Small world!!!

I used to go to Anta's Senegalese braiding right near my stylists shop (I can PM you if you need more details)... I probably won't be going there anymore though because she changes her pricing. I took my,niece there and her hair is way shorter than mine, but somehow she paid more for the same style as me... and the braided said mine was cheaper because I brought hair with me, which I didn't.

So I'm currently looking for a newhile braided and hope to find one soon since I want to stay in braids/twists this summer I think.

Added: I think the last time I got my hair in a braided style with no hair added it might have been like 65 I think... with added hair it was 135 I think... I just know my niece's hair was more. -__-

Adonia1987

I haven't tried a Shea moisture DC since it first started to get popular. In 2010 I tried the mask from the raw shea line an hated it so much that I never bothered to buy any mask or conditioner from them. I took advantage of Walgreens' BOGO and bought the 10 in 1 mask since a lot of people rave about it. I have to say that it's the best mask I've used in a while. It's going to replace my beloved Bekura YAM.

My hair grows like weed from June to October. I can't wait to see where I am at the end of this year....

Fine 4s

That is exactly what I plan on doing...except I want someone else to twist my hair every 3-4 weeks. What is a reasonable price for 40 or so wet two-strand twists on BSL/MBL natural hair? I don't foresee it taking more than 2 hours to complete (washing hair included, but no blow dry or any kind of heat).

I don't pay to twist my hair. I'm sure I can find a friend to do it for free if I really need it. I can see a salon asking $75 to twist where I live. But they'd do it quickly I'm sure. I have maybe 40+ medium twists in my hair. Took me about 2 hours. Been wearing them in a bun since Saturday. It feels soft and moisturized.
The steamer helps a lot! HTH

ImanAdero

Hair is currently In 2 strand twists, but I think I'm going combine 2 twists into one braid.

I saw an IG person put beads in her hair (on the middle of the braids braids like people used to wear cuffs on their locs) and I really liked it. Looks like I could rock it for a week or two.

Last edited:

Bun Mistress

I finally straighten my hair I really can remember the last time I did, its the first time this year I know.

My hair is just MBL, I trimmed maybe 6 weeks ago, ,I will probably trim a little since its straight.

Luckily I only have about 2 to 3 inches between MBL and WL (short people problems). So I should get there by ther end of the year.

NaturalfienD

Checking in ...

Hi ladies, I have been MIA since January. My subscription expired and my ackrite finally kicked in today ... I purchased the two year sub so I'm good til '17. I read all 268 posts since my last 'like' and all caught up.

Since my last post, I have been cowashing twice a week, deep conditioning after each cowash, and using a clay mask monthly for deep cleansing. I have been doing a hard protein every six weeks and now considering monthly ... as my hair grows, it's tangling far more than usual at the ends. (Reggie from Coily Queens.)

I was wearing buns in Feb/March, installed some cute and heavy ass faux locs in April, took down in May, and have been doing a wash and go ponytail since. I love this style because it's so easy and it makes washing less of a chore.

I had shampoo that I wanted to use up only to find out that my hair knots terribly, I will cowash and clay mask only from here out.

Here's my check in pic from April. It was taken after dusting ... a prayer away from something-like MBL.

image.jpg

I just purchased a water softening system and really hope that it makes a difference in the quality of my hair and growth.

Peace!!

Last edited:

sgold04

I think I have heat damage...

Going to see if I can reverse this with an ApHogee 2 Step treatment... if I canr, I'll just chop off the few inches OR wear more protective styles for the rest of the year.
I have some heat damage from when my hair was straightened professionally in March. After reading your post, I will try the aphogee 2 step treatment. Did you follow it up with their moisturizer, or with your own DC?

caliscurls

Checking in: I am officially back to the length I was before cutting off my relaxed ends a year ago Saturday - only better.

June 2014 it was a very scraggly MBL/BSB that I cut to APL/SL to get the rest of the relaxer off. I was 18 months post-relaxer.

Fast forward 1 year and in June 2015 it's a much fuller MBL and full BSB in spite of the challenges I had in Q1 with breakage.

My routine...is still being figured out but here's what I've been doing lately that seems to be working well (new elements are in italics) :

1. Detangle in sections with QB Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee on dry hair
  2. Pre-Poo with EVCO in 5-6 large braids with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner layered on top (overnight or with heat). I keep these same 5-6 braids in through steps 6 so that wash day is simple and relatively quick.
  3. Wash with a CV shampoo bar (Honey Beer Egg, Ayurvedic, or Herb Garden)
  4. DC with with Jessicurl Deep Treatment with heat or for several hours
  5. Rinse but leave some of the DC in
  6. Dry with a pillow case for a few minutes then sit under the dryer on cool/low for 30 min. Half way through I separate the 5-6 braids, dividing each so that I end up with 10-12 twists total.
  7. Flat twist for a twist out or re-braid in to 5-6 large twists. For each braid or twist:
    1. Leave-in (either Oyin Hair Dew, Bekura Palm Tapioca, or Trader Joes TTT Conditioner)
    2. Seal (either QB Aethiopika Butter or NG Pumpkin Butter)
Steps 5 and 6 have greatly reduced breakage on and post wash day. My ends are less tangly and dry. Air drying alone left my ends too fragile and therefore prone to more breakage plus it took FOREVER. Tension blow drying wasn't bad when I was doing it, but it required me to dust regularly and right now I'm trying to avoid heat since I'm in a no cut challenge. And lastly, step 6 stretches my hair a bit so with step 7 my final look is more stretched than it would have been with air drying.

I also want to say that Trader Joes TTT Conditioner has officially made HG status. Love that stuff!! In fact, I will likely use it more often than the Oyin Hair Dew now.

Through the week I keep my hair in a bun (usually in the same braids, it actually looks good) or some type of updo and then wear it down on the weekend in a twist or braid out.

This post has been long (whew!) but hopefully it's helpful for someone.

Last edited:

caliscurls

Today is day 4 of my flat twist out and it still looks and feels great. I feel like I'm finally able to enjoy my hair now that my routine is some what consistent and it's easier to style at this length. Enjoy for me doesn't necessarily mean wearing it down...it means just not stressing over it and having the ease and flexibility to just flop it up and looks great or let it down and have fabulous curls

NaturalfienD

Checking in ...

I styled my hair in loose twists two weeks ago. I'm not able to wash twice a week so instead, I'm using dry shampoo to keep my scalp clean. Today I took down and retwisted my hair and will wash/deep condition once I hit four weeks (idea from Alicia James and others.)

I started using S-Curl as a daily moisturizer and will continue using a creamy leave in once a week. I am really liking the S-Curl, my hair looks and feels great. I am planning on doing scalp massages at least 4x a week and will baggy every other day.

Gunning for that summer time growth spurt!!!

I hope you all are doing well ...

Peace!

ImanAdero

Been almost 2 weeks come this Friday. Debating on whether or not I'm going to try and stretch this style to a month or what...

Then I think I'll do a every few days Cowash after I takeep these braids out.

ezina

So I finally went ahead and booked an appointment to get two strand twists (I want no direct heat so it'll probably just be a wet set). My consultation is this Saturday and the actual appointment is next Saturday. I was thinking of getting Marley or Senegalese twists, but it's really hard for me to commit to the idea of wearing those styles. Two strand twists (without added hair) just seem "safer". I need a style for the long-term and if this stylist does well, she'll have a committed client coming in every 3-5 weeks for at least 2 years. I'm ready to be waist length already!

leleepop

Checkin in... I don't really know how long my hair is, but I think it's at least bsb. I will flatiron when it gets cooler for a length check and a trim with the crea clip.

ImanAdero

So...

Who DID make it to WL in here? Because unless I get like 5 inches, it won't be me lol.

Anywho, Cowash ed this morning and will cowash again on Saturday.

Will probably get braids in 2 weeks before I go to MV and I can also REALLY condition my hair prior to getting it done.

I plan to cowash every 2-4 days.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Hi ladies! Missed yall! I have been MIA. Lots of things going on w/life that kept me away...namely school, work, and some personal things...but everything is looking up for me right now. I'm blessed and happy.

Anyway, I have been on cruise control w/my hair. It's certainly not going to make anywhere near WL this year....and that's messed up because this thread was started two years ago! lol But I'm determined to get my hair to MBL by this time next year. That will be my ultimate goal as it was originally. If it gets to WL, great, but I won't be in anymore challenges relating to that particular length.

After my Komaza analysis, I discovered that I needed to use protein treatments every two weeks, which I have been doing well with. I have been dcing in between those treatments every other week. I haven't been doing great with internal protein intake. I am vegetarian and was advised to drink 4 protein shakes a day. Four is too many for me, and when I try to double up the scoops into one drink, it gets very thick. :nono:
Anyway, I need to do another dusting of about 1/4" off my ends this week.

Hope everyone is well. Anymore updates?