Wait on the Lord and Baptism of the Holy Spirit

chicacanella

Hi everyone.

I have been praying for the baptism of the holy spirit for some time now and I believe that God will give it to me.

I have read some testimonies online where people have received it quite quickly after praying for it. I was beginning to think, "Am I doing something wrong; why am I not receiving it as evidence by speaking in tongues?"

So, I have been reassured by two other Christian women not to worry or think anything is wrong with me. And I have just decided to not be anxious for anything as stated in Philipians. I am now just going to continue to pray and ask God for it and let him give me the baptism when he is ready. I always had complete faith but I guess I was thinking it would happen immediately.

Of course I don't know why it hasn't happened yet but I know that when God is ready, I will receive it.

"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him…" (Psalm 37:5-7a, NIV).

PaperClip

(((HUGS!)))

I got baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ July 16, 1989. It was a most beautiful and cleansing experience. I did not speak in tongues that day. I was very disappointed. I prayed and prayed and wished and prayed. It was a month later and I was in the car with my friends and we were coming back from an afternoon church servce and we were sitting in the parking lot of our church waiting for evening service to start and we/they started worshipping in the car and they started speaking in tongues and I just kept singing and praying and before I could realize it, I was speaking in tongues and I seem to recall that I didn't stop and that they had to help me into the church and I gave some kind of testimony and I remember zipping and shouting in between the pews!

I share that to encourage you that the Holy Spirit is right there at your lips. Just relax in Him in faith as you are doing and worship, worship, worship, worship, worship the Lord. Bask in His goodness and holiness. Singa and hum and make melodies... and when you are so caught up in the anointing of the Lord in worship, your tongues will come forth, in Jesus' Name!

I paused this post to pray for you that the Holy Spirit would hover all around you and you will begin to relax and rest in His warm embrace and that such peace will be with you and not many days hence, you will report back with a praise report that you received your heavenly language and you are speaking in other tongues as the Holy Spirit gives utterance! Hallelujah!

Ms.Honey

Are you nervous about receiving it or do you think you're doing something that is hindering you from receiving it? I was a smoker when I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost. I told the Lord that I was surprised that He would allow me to speak in tongues when I while I was still a smoker. He told me He could do whatever He wanted, when He wanted :grin:

So just relax and have your own personal praise and worship service as often as necessary til you see the evidence (tongues). If you feel too distracted you can always have a minister lay hands on you and pray with you until you speak in tongues. I can also recommend a cd called "Baptism with the Holy Spirit, What hindereth thou?" or something like that :grin: Just let me know if you're interested and I'll find the exact title for you.

firecracker

Wow I didnt know folks prayed to speak in tongues or get the holy ghost. I'm running if your sitting next to me when you do! Thanks to my Grandmother scaring the sweet baby jesus out of me and slapping me when she did when I was a kid. Thanks but no thanks. LOL

plainj

Hi everyone.

I have been praying for the baptism of the holy spirit for some time now and I believe that God will give it to me.

I have read some testimonies online where people have received it quite quickly after praying for it. I was beginning to think, "Am I doing something wrong; why am I not receiving it as evidence by speaking in tongues?"

So, I have been reassured by two other Christian women not to worry or think anything is wrong with me. And I have just decided to not be anxious for anything as stated in Philipians. I am now just going to continue to pray and ask God for it and let him give me the baptism when he is ready. I always had complete faith but I guess I was thinking it would happen immediately.

Of course I don't know why it hasn't happened yet but I know that when God is ready, I will receive it.

"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him…" (Psalm 37:5-7a, NIV).
Chicanella, this is my EXACT story too. Like ms. honey said, I'm nervous about it, anxious, don't know if I truly believe (working on it), confused. But I want it. I know why I want it but still dealing with the above issues. I need to take the advice here and just relax and let God do what He's going to do when He's going to do it. It also doesn't help that everywhere I turn someone is asking me "Have you been baptized in the Holy Spirit yet?". When I say no, they want to give me all kinds of techniques on how to get there which adds to my confusion.:perplexed Chicanella, be encouraged. It's coming. Just be still and know He is God. He knows all things.

BTW firecracker, same thing happened to my dh. He got hit upside the head by his grandma and he feels the same way you do.:grin:

Ms.Honey

Wow I didnt know folks prayed to speak in tongues or get the holy ghost. I'm running if your sitting next to me when you do! Thanks to my Grandmother scaring the sweet baby jesus out of me and slapping me when she did when I was a kid. Thanks but no thanks. LOL

That was what initially stopped me from wanting to receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost:look: I didn't want to be flailing all over the place screaming, foaming at the mouth with my eyes rolling to the back of my head (y'all know like Martin's momma when Gina killed her bird Ruby:lachen:).:ohwell: I didn't want to be running up and down the aisles of the church or spontaneously screaming and breaking out in the "dance":perplexed I got hit in the head by someone "catching the Holy Ghost" too but I was grown and a brand new Christian. I was like, "Naw, that's ok.":nono:

All that stuff is NOT the baptism of the Holy Ghost y'all:nono: That's just folks getting emotional and letting go and sometimes, most times, it's just showing their behinds. There is NOTHING in the bible that suggests that anyone who received the baptism did all that mess.:rolleyes: I received the baptism 10 years ago and have NEVER done any of the above.

Please don't let that hinder you all from receiving the gift and power that Jesus Himself has promised you from His own mouth. It's important to receive it. It's our help and strength in the Lord to help us to Him and stay in line with His Word and His will.

Last edited:

chicacanella

Are you nervous about receiving it or do you think you're doing something that is hindering you from receiving it? I was a smoker when I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost. I told the Lord that I was surprised that He would allow me to speak in tongues when I while I was still a smoker. He told me He could do whatever He wanted, when He wanted :grin:

So just relax and have your own personal praise and worship service as often as necessary til you see the evidence (tongues). If you feel too distracted you can always have a minister lay hands on you and pray with you until you speak in tongues. I can also recommend a cd called "Baptism with the Holy Spirit, What hindereth thou?" or something like that :grin: Just let me know if you're interested and I'll find the exact title for you.

Well, as I was worshiping and praying the morning before this post, the holy spirit impressed upon me that I needed to send one of my cousins that I had a falling out with a card and call my dad. I had already said I forgave them but I guess this act was important for me to do, or show as a sign of forgiveness.

Then out of the blue, this guy I used to deal with calls me at 1:30 a.m. As soon as I get up, the holy spirit impresses upon me that the call is "unholy" a distraction from the enemy. All of this is like, "Whooaaa, okay. Someone obviously wants me to stop pressing into God and praying for the baptism of the holy spirit.

This whole thing is making me desire it even more cause' the enemy is trying to hinder me and that ain't gonna happen.

(((HUGS!)))

I got baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ July 16, 1989. It was a most beautiful and cleansing experience. I did not speak in tongues that day. I was very disappointed. I prayed and prayed and wished and prayed. It was a month later and I was in the car with my friends and we were coming back from an afternoon church servce and we were sitting in the parking lot of our church waiting for evening service to start and we/they started worshipping in the car and they started speaking in tongues and I just kept singing and praying and before I could realize it, I was speaking in tongues and I seem to recall that I didn't stop and that they had to help me into the church and I gave some kind of testimony and I remember zipping and shouting in between the pews!

I share that to encourage you that the Holy Spirit is right there at your lips. Just relax in Him in faith as you are doing and worship, worship, worship, worship, worship the Lord. Bask in His goodness and holiness. Singa and hum and make melodies... and when you are so caught up in the anointing of the Lord in worship, your tongues will come forth, in Jesus' Name!

I paused this post to pray for you that the Holy Spirit would hover all around you and you will begin to relax and rest in His warm embrace and that such peace will be with you and not many days hence, you will report back with a praise report that you received your heavenly language and you are speaking in other tongues as the Holy Spirit gives utterance! Hallelujah!

I remember your testimony before. I believe that as I continue to ask God, he will give it to me in his timing.

Chicanella, this is my EXACT story too. Like ms. honey said, I'm nervous about it, anxious, don't know if I truly believe (working on it), confused. But I want it. I know why I want it but still dealing with the above issues. I need to take the advice here and just relax and let God do what He's going to do when He's going to do it. It also doesn't help that everywhere I turn someone is asking me "Have you been baptized in the Holy Spirit yet?". When I say no, they want to give me all kinds of techniques on how to get there which adds to my confusion.:perplexed Chicanella, be encouraged. It's coming. Just be still and know He is God. He knows all things.

BTW firecracker, same thing happened to my dh. He got hit upside the head by his grandma and he feels the same way you do.:grin:

This one woman was telling me just open my mouth and start babling like a baby. Saying, "Daddaa Bllahhbbaa." And the words would come. I don't think one should have to do that. The disciples didn't do that.

plainj

This one woman was telling me just open my mouth and start babling like a baby. Saying, "Daddaa Bllahhbbaa." And the words would come. I don't think one should have to do that. The disciples didn't do that.
I totally agree. One woman told me to just say lalalalalalalal until I start speaking in tongues.:lala:
A pastor:perplexed (not mine) told me to say one syllable; now say two syllables; now say three syllables, etc., without thinking about what I'm going to say and then I will start speaking in tongues. :perplexed Huh?! These just didn't sit right with my spirit. I said the same thing to myself: The disciples didn't do that. So now I will just keep my mouth shut when folks ask me about it and wait for God to do His thing in me in His time.:yep:

chicacanella

I totally agree. One woman told me to just say lalalalalalalal until I start speaking in tongues.:lala:
A pastor:perplexed (not mine) told me to say one syllable; now say two syllables; now say three syllables, etc., without thinking about what I'm going to say and then I will start speaking in tongues. :perplexed Huh?! These just didn't sit right with my spirit. I said the same thing to myself: The disciples didn't do that. So now I will just keep my mouth shut when folks ask me about it and wait for God to do His thing in me in His time.:yep:

Yeah, I feel the same way. I mean, I don't believe one should have to do this. I will also patiently wait on the lord. Since we are both seeking baptism of the holy spirit, I will pray for you and you pray for me.:yep:

firecracker

That was what initially stopped me from wanting to receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost:look: I didn't want to be flailing all over the place screaming, foaming at the mouth with my eyes rolling to the back of my head (y'all know like Martin's momma when Gina killed her bird Ruby:lachen:).:ohwell: I didn't want to be running up and down the aisles of the church or spontaneously screaming and breaking out in the "dance":perplexed I got hit in the head by someone "catching the Holy Ghost" too but I was grown and a brand new Christian. I was like, "Naw, that's ok.":nono:

All that stuff is NOT the baptism of the Holy Ghost y'all:nono: That's just folks getting emotional and letting go and sometimes, most times, it's just showing their behinds. There is NOTHING in the bible that suggests that anyone who received the baptism did all that mess.:rolleyes: I received the baptism 10 years ago and have NEVER done any of the above.

Please don't let that hinder you all from receiving the gift and power that Jesus Himself has promised you from His own mouth. It's important to receive it. It's our help and strength in the Lord to help us to Him and stay in line with His Word and His will.
My Grandmother wasn't putting on a show. I have seen some folks put on a show. :lachen: I have gifts and that isn't power. Your entitled to your opinion though. :lachen:

PaperClip

At my church, we usually minister to those tarrying for the Holy Spirit to just say "Hallelujah" in their own way and encourage them to reflect on who the Lord is and who He is to them and kind of distract them from focusing on their mouths/tongues and allow the Holy Spirit to take over their tongue, if you will.

Ms.Honey

My Grandmother wasn't putting on a show. I have seen some folks put on a show. :lachen: I have gifts and that isn't power. Your entitled to your opinion though. :lachen:

That's why I said some folks getting emotional and letting go also. Some folks get caught up being in His presence and will breakdown crying, fall to their knees etc. but some of it is just folks acting the fool :grin: BUT it is controllable. The Holy Spirit isn't making folks run laps around the sanctuary:drunk:

plainj

At my church, we usually minister to those tarrying for the Holy Spirit to just say "Hallelujah" in their own way and encourage them to reflect on who the Lord is and who He is to them and kind of distract them from focusing on their mouths/tongues and allow the Holy Spirit to take over their tongue, if you will.
Thank you foxyscholar. You've given me a brand new perspective on it. Most tell me to do this or do that without adding the idea to focus on Him and the goodness of Him.If one is so focused on the "method", "trick", or "secret" instead of focusing on God then of course nothing will come of it.

chicacanella

Hey everyone. I have an update.

As I was in prayer in worship, I was praying to receive the baptism of the holy spirit. So, as I just became still and quiet these words came to me by the holy spirit.

"Tarry for it." Tarry for the baptism of the holy spirit. And then, "you reap what you sow."

I didn't know what it meant so I looked it up and found an article.

http://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/holy-days/should-we-tarry-for-pentecost.html

Could They Wait Fifty Days?
When the two disciples who saw the Messiah on the way to Emmaus rushed back and told the eleven what had happened, Y'shua Himself stood in the midst of them. They were terrified, supposing they had seen a ghost, Luke 24:33-37. Then He calmed them down, and patiently let them touch Him, to see that it was really Him. Now it was time for the evidence to be revealed, verses 38-40.
It was also time for their understanding to be opened, just as the tomb had been opened the day before. Even the wavesheaf day, when Peter and John saw the empty tomb, they did not understand the scripture, that He must rise from the dead, John 20:9. Now He opened their minds, Luke 24:44-48. It was almost time now that repentance and remission of sins be preached in His name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem, verse 47.
First, they had to wait: "And behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power [Holy Spirit] from on high," Luke 24:49. They failed to tarry with Him at Gethsemane. Would they now be able to tarry 50 days for the Spirit of power? What does it mean to "tarry"?
What "Tarry" Means
Some have the mistaken notion that "tarry" in Luke 24:49 means merely "wait." It is much more than that. The Greek word is kathizo, and everywhere else is translated "sit" or "sit down."
An example is Matthew 5:1, where the Savior was set on the mount when He gave His famous sermon to the disciples; In Luke 5:3 He sat down, and taught the people out of the ship. In John 8:2 He sat down in the temple and taught all the people that came to Him, and Acts 8:31 shows the Ethiopian eunuch who desired Philip to sit with him in his chariot and teach him.
Another aspect of this word for "tarry" is that of sitting in judgment: Matthew 19:28, where the Savior said He shall sit in the throne of His glory, the disciples shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. Revelation 3:21, "To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcome, and am set down with my Father in His throne." Revelation 20:4, "And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them and judgment was given unto them . . . and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years."
Besides sitting in judgment, the above verses also show that "sit down," or "tarry" means to have an intimate, close relationship with others, especially the Father. It is often expressed of the Son that He is set down on the right hand of the Father, Hebrews 1:3, 10:12, 12:2, Ephesians 1:20. Very often, kathizo, "sat down" is associated with a throne, as in Acts 2:30. Further, Luke 14:28, 31, where we are admonished to sit down and count the cost. Acts 13:14 shows that Paul sat down in the synagogue on the Sabbath and worshipped. The Savior told the disciples to sit--kathizo--while He went a short distance to pray, Matthew 26:36, Mark 14:32. Again, in Luke 24:49they were told to tarry (sit) in Jerusalem until the Holy Spirit would be given.
What does it mean "to tarry"? As we have seen from the above passages, it means:
  1. To sit down and be taught, and teach
  2. To sit in judgment
  3. To have an intimate relationship with the Father
  4. To sit on a throne
  5. To sit down and count the cost
  6. To sit down and worship
  7. To sit down and pray with others
This is what the disciples were to be doing until it was time to receive the Spirit.
This time, unlike Gethsemane, they were patient. They did not go to sleep. The Messiah was seen by hundreds of disciples, I Corinthians 15:1-9. There were many infallible proofs during the forty days of the resurrected Savior's teaching, Acts 1:1-3. During a meal, after they had been with him for 40 days, He commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, the baptism of the Holy Spirit, Acts 1:4-5. This power would enable them to be witnesses of the Messiah in all the world, verses 6-8. The promise had actually been made the night of the Passover, before they left to go to Gethsemane, John 14:16-17, 16:7-16.
Ten More Days to Wait!
After forty days, the Savior was not to be seen again by them. He was taken up to Heaven into a cloud and out of their sight. He gave them a blessing, and departed from them, and was carried up into heaven, Luke 24:51. Two angels announced that He would return on this very spot, the Mount of Olives, Acts 1:9-12, Zechariah 14:4-9.
Ten more days to tarry! What an eternity it must have been! So they returned, gathered together, continuing with one accord in prayer and supplication, Acts 1:12-14. They were joyful, worshipping Him, and were continually in the temple praising and blessing the Almighty, Luke 24:50-53. The eleven had to sit in judgment, because a replacement for Judas had to be found. So, the lot of judgment fell upon Matthias, who was now to be numbered with the others who would sit upon the twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel, Acts 1:15-26.
They had to sit down, count the cost, sit down and pray, worship, have an intimate relationship with the Father and with one another in prayer, teaching and supplication. They were not yet ready to go out and be witnesses of Him to all the world, with great power and miracles.
It was time to sit down. It was time to tarry--kathizo.

chicacanella

Scripture on reaping and sowing.

Galatians 6:7-9 (King James Version)

7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
8For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. 9And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

MonaRae

Hi everyone.

Question: Did you read in the Bible that speaking in tongue is the evidence of the Holy Ghost? I really want to know where this comes from.

Paul said in I Corthians 13:1 "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal."

Now Charity is Love and as stated in I John 4:16 "And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."

God some times works in that still small voice and there are also time when He causes us to shout to the Heaven while dwelling in His presence. To base your salvation on speaking in tongue is not enough, for you must have the Giver of the Gifts. "When the true Holy Spirit comes in it’s the Life of Christ living in a human being!"

Its not at all mention in the Bible that Jesus spoke with tongues nor of John the Baptist who while still in his mother’s womb received the Holy Ghost. Elisabeth (John the Baptist mother) was filled with the Holy Ghost and prophesied. His ways are past finding out.

Remember Romans 11:29 saids “For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.” Again, His ways are past finding out. I leave you with Psalms 27:14 “Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

PaperClip

Question: Did you read in the Bible that speaking in tongue is the evidence of the Holy Ghost? I really want to know where this comes from.

Paul said in I Corthians 13:1 "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal."

Now Charity is Love and as stated in I John 4:16 "And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."

God some times works in that still small voice and there are also time when He causes us to shout to the Heaven while dwelling in His presence. To base your salvation on speaking in tongue is not enough, for you must have the Giver of the Gifts. "When the true Holy Spirit comes in it’s the Life of Christ living in a human being!"

Its not at all mention in the Bible that Jesus spoke with tongues nor of John the Baptist who while still in his mother’s womb received the Holy Ghost. Elisabeth (John the Baptist mother) was filled with the Holy Ghost and prophesied. His ways are past finding out.

Remember Romans 11:29 saids “For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.” Again, His ways are past finding out. I leave you with Psalms 27:14 “Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Acts 2: 1-4
And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 2:38-39
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

PaperClip

Thanks FoxyScholar but there are 9 gifts of the Holy Ghost why only use 1?

Acts 2:39 states that the gift or infilling of the Holy Spirit is AVAILABLE TO ALL, by the words "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call."

The "gifts" or MANIFESTATIONS of the Holy Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12 is exactly that: A MANIFESTATION that occurs at the time, place, and person in which the Holy Spirit wants to use/display at that particular time/place/space/person.

I think the word "gift" in the KJV translation has confused a lot of things/people.

Yes, it is a gift because the LORD JESUS CHRIST gave the Holy Spirit (has made the Holy Spirit available/accessible) to everyone and anyone who wants to receive the gift, freely, without us doing anything to earn it.

klb120475

Acts 2:39 states that the gift or infilling of the Holy Spirit is AVAILABLE TO ALL, by the words "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call."

The "gifts" or MANIFESTATIONS of the Holy Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12 is exactly that: A MANIFESTATION that occurs at the time, place, and person in which the Holy Spirit wants to use/display at that particular time/place/space/person.

I think the word "gift" in the KJV translation has confused a lot of things/people.

Yes, it is a gift because the LORD JESUS CHRIST gave the Holy Spirit (has made the Holy Spirit available/accessible) to everyone and anyone who wants to receive the gift, freely, without us doing anything to earn it.

You on point!!!!!!!!!

MonaRae

No doubt that Acts 2:38 -9 is for all that will accept it. Did you mean 1 Corinthians 7? That chapter deals with Husbands and Wives.

Thanks for your time. I really did wonder where that came from.

PaperClip

No doubt that Acts 2:38 -9 is for all that will accept it. Did you mean 1 Corinthians 7? That chapter deals with Husbands and Wives.

Thanks for your time. I really did wonder where that came from.

Availability comes before acceptance. In other words, the Holy Spirit is available to all and the Lord has given everyone free will to accept or reject when their call comes.

Here's the link to 1 Corinthians 12
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians 12;&version=9;

Here's verse 7 of that chapter: "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal." (KJV)

But to each one is given the manifestation of the [Holy] Spirit [the evidence, the spiritual illumination of the Spirit] for good and profit. (Amplified)

I like the way The Message says verse 11: "All these gifts have a common origin, but are handed out one by one by the one Spirit of God. He decides who gets what, and when."

MonaRae

Availability comes before acceptance. In other words, the Holy Spirit is available to all and the Lord has given everyone free will to accept or reject when their call comes.

Here's the link to 1 Corinthians 12
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians 12;&version=9;

Here's verse 7 of that chapter: "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal." (KJV)

But to each one is given the manifestation of the [Holy] Spirit [the evidence, the spiritual illumination of the Spirit] for good and profit. (Amplified)

I like the way The Message says verse 11: "All these gifts have a common origin, but are handed out one by one by the one Spirit of God. He decides who gets what, and when."

Amen! Enjoyed the chat!

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Hi everyone.

Hi, can I ask you why you want it? To speak in other tongues? I hope my questions don't trouble anyone (winkin' atcha FoxxyScholar:spinning:). I'd be interested in anyone's response. IMHO, if you have become christian and baptised in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, you have already been baptised through the Holy Spirit. This article might explain somewhat, "The Purpose of Pentecost":
[...
We have now begun the Third Christian Millennium, a new missionary age. We should ask ourselves as Christians, once again, what is the purpose of Pentecost?
Let me suggest an ancient insight is where we should begin. In the anciaent Christian tradition, the purpose of Pentecost was primarily seen as the birthing of the Church. Pentecost is all about the Church. The Church is “Plan A” and there is no “Plan B”. The very notion of a Christian group being “para” Church is as far from the purpose of Pentecost as one could ever get. The early Christians did not form “para” Church movements; they lived as the Church. The Holy Spirit was not poured out on the disciples so that they could form movements outside of the Church, rather so that they could become the Church, the communion of the faithful, living in the Church and in midst of the world, on mission. Their work was “intra-Church”, from the heart of the Church; and it proceeded into the center of the world.
They gathered in one place “together” when the promise of Jesus was fulfilled. He had told them that He must ascend, in His own words to “my Father and your father, my God and your God”, because, again in His own words “If I do not go I cannot send the comforter. And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation: sin, because they do not believe in me; righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me; condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned. Coming of the Advocate "I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.” John 16
The Holy Spirit was poured out upon the Church on that great day of Pentecost so that it could continue the redemptive mission of Jesus Christ. The “New Israel” was formed, the “communion of persons” now redeemed in Jesus Christ. They were empowered to live differently now in the midst of a world awaiting the fullness of redemption. They were empowered to live as a new people, constituted in history, and called to lead the world back to the Father, in and through the Son, because the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity now presided over them and filled them with the very life of the Living and True God.
Through this Holy Spirit, sent from the Father, they continued in communion with Jesus and in Jesus, with the Father; in Jesus with one another; and in Jesus for the world. That is why the last part of the Second chapter of the Acts of the Apostles is where we need to focus to uncover the “Purpose of Pentecost”
These disciples now lived in a new way.So should we:
“They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers. Awe came upon everyone, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. All who believed were together and had all things in common; they would sell their property and possessions and divide them among all according to each one's need. Every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple area and to breaking bread in their homes. They ate their meals with exultation and sincerity of heart, praising God and enjoying favor with all the people. And every day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.” Acts, Chapter Two
The Church is the purpose of Pentecost. Can this Third Christian Millennium bring with its promise a New Pentecost? Can we begin to live this kind of transformed Christian life as we enter into this third Christian Millennium? Can we demonstrate a true Pentecostal Christian faith to a world waiting to be reborn…a Pentecostal experience that restores the beauty of the Church to a world that is still desperately in need of redemption?
Yes, we can! Come, Holy Spirit, Come!
Deacon Keith Fournier is a married Roman Catholic Deacon of the Diocese of Richmond, who also serves the Melkite Greek Catholic Church with approval. He is a human rights lawyer and a graduate of the John Paul II Institute of the Lateran University, Franciscan University of Steubenville and the University Of Pittsburgh School Of Law. He the founder and Thomas More Fellow of the Common Good Movement and was a co-founder of Your Catholic Voice.
http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=1014&page=2

Last edited:

chicacanella

The reason why I want the baptism of the holy spirit is so that I can proclaim the Word of God with boldness, to be able to have hear him distinctly without wondering. If he tells me to, "go left," I want to go left.

I know that I definitely have the infilling of the holy spirit as people who are saved by the blood of Jesus should. But I believe that the baptism in the holy spirit is just another level. For instance, we as humans drink water which goes in our body. But humans also have the ability to be immersed in water and when they are totally immersed, wherever they go there is water. I liken this to the holy spirit.

Those who are saved have the holy spirit in them and when they need guidance, the holy spirit guides them. But when you are immersed in the holy spirit, their is not only power in you but also on the outside. And with you being immersed in the holy spirit, people around you will be able to feel the power too. With someone that isn't baptised, I believe people may sense a difference in you but they may not totally feel the power of God simply from being in your prescence.

I may be wrong but that is how I see it. Anyhow, my ultimate reason is because I want to do God's will.

MonaRae

You're not wrong at all chicacanella. When we are baptised according to Acts 2:38 we shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost! But to be Baptised of the Holy Spirit (ahh) this is the Giver of the Gift dwelling within you! Also known as the Adoption

Romans 8:15
"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father."

John 3:17
"And a voice from heaven saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

It is custom with the Jew to adoption their very own. This adoption tell the world that my son is learned in the family business and if he should write a check its the same as if I (the Father) wrote it.

chicacanella you are thristing for the right thing! I will keep you in my prayers for the Lord has placed you in my heart.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

You're not wrong at all chicacanella. When we are baptised according to Acts 2:38 we shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost! But to be Baptised of the Holy Spirit (ahh) this is the Giver of the Gift dwelling within you! Also known as the Adoption

Romans 8:15
"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father."

John 3:17
"And a voice from heaven saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

It is custom with the Jew to adoption their very own. This adoption tell the world that my son is learned in the family business and if he should write a check its the same as if I (the Father) wrote it.

chicacanella you are thristing for the right thing! I will keep you in my prayers for the Lord has placed you in my heart.

Many of the things written here I've never heard of before. I'm wondering if "adoption" might mean the ingrafting whereby gentiles can now call G-d "Abba." They are now under the new Covenant whereas before, they were under no covenant??? BTW, I'm in the process of learning.

GUess I better edit right here too:

Question for Chicanella. So, the baptism of the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with baptism itself?

Last edited:

PaperClip

chicacanella;6474817[/quote said:
Back atcha!

First of all, there's NO TROUBLE in seeking deeper knowledge and understanding about the things of the Lord. That's WHO the Holy Spirit is for!
He's our Counselor, our Comfort, our Guide, our Spirit of Truth! (St. John 15:26; 16:13)

Plus, the Lord says to ask for wisdom, and He will not turn us away when we ask HIM for wisdom!
(James 1:5)

Per your question about WHY TO DESIRE the HOLY SPIRIT:
Romans 8:26: "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." (KJV)

1 Corinthians 14:2: "For one who speaks in an [unknown] tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands or catches his meaning, because in the [Holy] Spirit he utters secret truths and hidden things [not obvious to the understanding]. (Amplified Bible)

When we speak in tongues, speaking in our heavenly language, we are speaking to the Lord in a language that only He (THE LORD) and NO ONE ELSE (no other human, not even the devil) can understand. Speaking in tongues can give articulation to the prayers and concerns of our heart (see Romans 8:26).

And another reason to speak in tongues is to edify oneself in the faith (1 Corinthians 14:4: He who speaks in a [strange] tongue edifies and improves himself, but he who prophesies [[c]interpreting the divine will and purpose and teaching with inspiration] edifies and improves the church and promotes growth [in Christian wisdom, piety, holiness, and happiness].)

Ms.Honey

Many of the things written here I've never heard of before. I'm wondering if "adoption" might mean the ingrafting whereby gentiles can now call G-d "Abba." They are now under the new Covenant whereas before, they were under no covenant??? BTW, I'm in the process of learning.

Question for Chicanella. So, the baptism of the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with baptism itself?

Yep, the bible teaches that we former gentiles (not part of the promise) are adopted, engrafted etc. into the family through Jesus' bloodline. The Lord has not rejected the Jews (read Hebrews). After the rapture it will be the Jews who will bring people into the Body at a greater rate than they do now. This is the time of the gentiles to evangelize the world, soon it will be the time of the Jews to do it.

Water baptism and the Baptism of the Holy Ghost are different events (read Acts).

chicacanella

I believe you are talkin about water baptism. With water baptism, I believe this is just like a declaration or affirmation before God, heaven and any witnesses that you have given your life to him. I believe that when someoen is saved the holy spirit immediately comes into their body and life. The water in the baptism is symbolic to me as if the person is dying to their old nature and self and now becoming a new creature. This doesn't mean you received the baptism of the holy spirit but is an outward act that you are a child of God.

The baptism by water is something physical though there are probably spiritual things that occur which we can't see. But the baptism of the holy spirit is spiritual in which he comes upon you and then later on the physical manifestations such as his gifts, tongues will be present.