Baptism experiences

EricaUk

Hi,

I am a new believer after accepting Christ as my saviour. Currently I am attending bible studies at my church to know Christ more and moving towards Baptism. The thought of baptism sometimes feels a bit overwhelming to me…for those who have been baptised what were your experiences like?

May I ask what is over whelming to you. Is it the outward show of comittment to Christ or is it the physical aspect of going down in the water?

It’s a bit of both…but more about the commitment. Maybe I have the wrong idea but I am thinking that after baptism I would have to change/give up a lot of things in my life to be in line with the word….which seems overwhelming to do all at once.

Erica,

Welcome to the kingdom! Jesus asks that we come as we are. When you accepted Him as your savior, you did just that. Hw will give you the power to remove those things in your life that are displeasing. The Baptism is your answer to His call to be obedient to Him. You will always be accountable for your actions. It's a struggle, but it's possible in Christ.
You may want to pray about these "things in your life". Give 'em over to the Lord. Your sisters here can help you with this...I can. Can you share them?

The Lord never says that we can never fall down into sin once we come to Him. But we STRIVE to be without sin, and live in a way that refects God's amazing glory.

Thankyou..

the “things” that I think I would have to change is no longer listening to a certain type of music, not watching particular types of movies, not hanging out with my friends because they go clubbing, drink and smoke weed.

At times I worry if I’m doing the right thing to please God and if I do wrong I feel so guilty.

My sister all will happen in God's time. Believe me when I give my life to Christ I was still a drinker and smoker but in God's time he took all of that away.

Enjoy your relationship with the Lord and He will take care of everything else.

God Bless and welcome to the family of Christ.

EricaUk said:
Thankyou..

the “things” that I think I would have to change is no longer listening to a certain type of music, not watching particular types of movies, not hanging out with my friends because they go clubbing, drink and smoke weed.

At times I worry if I’m doing the right thing to please God and if I do wrong I feel so guilty.

Oh Ericka, don't worry, angel. Remember your first pair of high heel shoes? You were determined to walk in them without falling or walking with wobblely legs. You kept up the good fight and now you're able to walk as if you're on air. Can't keep you away from buying a new pair. Staying in the fashion magazines and updates to the lastest styles.

Although Jesus is far above comparison to a new pair of shoes, our walk in Him can slightly compare. For each step we learn to walk in Him, although shakey at first, becomes stronger the more we stay in His footsteps.

He walks ahead of us to lay the foundation of His tracks for us to follow in. He walks beside us to comfort the fears we have of falling. He walks behind us as our rear guard, knowing that if we should fear what's up ahead, He's got our back.

For you see Ericka, in our walk with Him, we will never be perfect. But as we are never perfect in a pair of high heel shoes, we still wear them no matter what. Even in the rain. Which means that no matter how challenging it may seem to follow Jesus, we still take the steps within His steps to stay within His path.

There is a walk in Jesus like no other. For even in the shakiest of circumstances, the darkest of paths, in Him we can never fall nor can we get lost. For our ears will hear His voice that always says, "Fear not...just "Follow Me." Nothing can hold you back...nothing and no one.

With His outstretched hand...opened heart, hear the voice of Jesus that speaks to "Ericka"..."Follow Me." He will not fail you, Ericka. No matter how many mistakes you make, and many you will, for you are human. But the key is your heart, as long as your heart belongs to Him...you will never be left to go this life on your own. Ericka, hear His voice, "Fear not, little one, follow me..."

Ericka, in Isaiah chapter 43, God promises that '...the waters will not overtake you." Remember this with your Baptism. Rejoice in your new life, your new beginning. For what goes under the water, stays and up comes the brand new beautiful you....:kiss:

With all my heart,

Thanks so much Shimmie and Lady R for your soothing words. It has definitely helped to clear any anxieties or fears. For now on I’m just going to go with the flow and try my best to be like Jesus.

So how did you guys feel afterwards, when you were baptised

I used to feel this until I really LEARNED what the act of baptism was, and that was through bible studies on the subject matter. It made it so easy for me to make that step once I was properly informed, understanding is a great thing. I was baptized at the end of last year at the age of 25. Being saved comes with your confession that you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior. The act of baptism is more symbolic, mimicking the acts of Jesus himself, a symbol of your rebirth. I'm not as well versed as others in explaining all this but Shimmie did an excellent job in her post and I hope that her word as well as others helps you in your walk.

Baptism was a wonderful feeling for me, because it was a great burden on my heart not having done it because of my fear based on misunderstanding. I'm so very glad that I made that step and found a great church home, and I'm striving to become a better Christian, and the challenge is there daily, but I know He is with me everyday, keeping me from falling, and picking me up when I do. As long as I am working toward becoming more like him, I know He is proud and patient with me, and that makes me want work even the more harder. But it will come in time, and that's something that you and He will work out ;)

EricaUk said:
Thanks so much Shimmie and Lady R for your soothing words. It has definitely helped to clear any anxieties or fears. For now on I’m just going to go with the flow and try my best to be like Jesus.

So how did you guys feel afterwards, when you were baptised

Wet...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I cried and laughed. It was Saturday, September 7, 1991. Our Pastors had organized a large picnic at the church and EVERYONE was invited to be baptised. We were celebrating the ground breaking our new church location/reconstruction. It was wonderful!

And it was my very first Baptism. My Pastor smiled and said, "I am honored that you waited for me as your Pastor to be the first one to baptise you." (I was way over 2 decades in age...:lol:)

But again....I felt "WET"...hair and all....;)

God bless you, angel...Come back and share your wonderful experience.

so1913 that sounds like a wonderful experience, glad to hear all things are well with you. Thankyou for informing me, it really has cleared up some things for me...i think I'm putting to much thought into the Baptism.

Shimmie said:
Wet...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I cried and laughed. It was Saturday, September 7, 1991. Our Pastors had organized a large picnic at the church and EVERYONE was invited to be baptised. We were celebrating the ground breaking our new church location/reconstruction. It was wonderful!

And it was my very first Baptism. My Pastor smiled and said, "I am honored that you waited for me as your Pastor to be the first one to baptise you." (I was way over 2 decades in age...:lol:)

But again....I felt "WET"...hair and all....;)

God bless you, angel...Come back and share your wonderful experience.

Thats nice....I did wonder about the hair thing!! so they really dunk you good in the water huh?

EricaUk said:
Thats nice....I did wonder about the hair thing!! so they really dunk you good in the water huh?

Oh yeah, girl. You're going to get dunked. :lol: Please do not wear a wig. :eek:

:lol: Actually, just enough to immerse your head and then right back up again. It's so quick that you don't have a chance to even think about it.

Most of the ladies have one of those large thick terry cloth bath robes to put on afterwards. I think that they have special garments for Baptisms. The other ladies here may be able t confirm this.

I personally worn a good strong support bra. A sports bra is good. And I wore a long heavy shirt and pants. I didn't want to look 'exposed' afterwards. But don't let me make you feel uncomfortable. The church usually has a preparation list for ladies (and men) for what to wear and not to wear. It's really over so fast that you won't have time to think about it. Be careful as you walk on the wet floors, etc. It's slippery, that's all.

I'm so happy for you. If I wasn't trying to be so cute with my hair, I'd probably do it again...:lol: Just kidding.

Hugs to you, Sweet one. :kiss: This is so exciting. You're bringing happy memories of my special day... Thank you for that.

Damm, I never even thought of all that!!! Thank for the advice…so you definitely couldn’t wear a coloured bra and panties under the white clothes, can you imagine how embarrassing that could be !!!

I was 11 when I was baptized. Even though I was young, I could truly feel the Lord's presence in my life after that. He has comforted me, loved me, accepted me and most importantly worked on me, but in His time and way.

EricaUk said:
Damm, I never even thought of all that!!! Thank for the advice…so you definitely couldn’t wear a coloured bra and panties under the white clothes, can you imagine how embarrassing that could be !!!

No colors or FLOWERS. Okay, you will love this story, it's funny. :lol:

When my son and his wife joined their church a couple of years ago, there was the regular new members classes, etc. Of course my son wanted to participate in the Baptism ceremony.

The family was so excited for him. He had on a long white ankle length shirt (looks like a man's old fashioned gown). Well, it's his turn to be baptised.

The first thing my grand daughter to her mom, says is, "Watch the water begin to sizzle, when Daddy gets in." :) Of course this caught my daughter in law off guard and she starts to laugh in a reserved manner (but not easy at all). Then as my son was coming out of the pool, my daughter in law and the children were in tears, laughing so hard.

What happened was the wet gown was sticking to his underwear, and the underwear he was wearing were his long Hawaiian flowered underwear trunks. All they could see were these large Hawaiian flowers on his bottom as he was stepping out of the pool and leaving the platform. :lol: :lol:
What made it so funny is that he was so serious and never had a clue about his Flowered underwear. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Other people in the congregation were laughing and just praising God. My daughter said she couldn't tell when her tears changed over from laughter or into praising God for this special time. It was a roll of emotions all in one. When they told me this it was so funny. They even have pictures of the "Flowers'.

To this day, it's still has the family in an uproar. But I thank God that my son is saved and full of the Holy Spirit of God. My son loves Jesus...Flowers and all. ;)

Soooo, Ericka, the moral to this story, no flowered underwear. ;)

{{{ Hugs }}}

Shimmie said:
No colors or FLOWERS. Okay, you will love this story, it's funny. :lol:

When my son and his wife joined their church a couple of years ago, there was the regular new members classes, etc. Of course my son wanted to participate in the Baptism ceremony.

The family was so excited for him. He had on a long white ankle length shirt (looks like a man's old fashioned gown). Well, it's his turn to be baptised.

The first thing my grand daughter to her mom, says is, "Watch the water begin to sizzle, when Daddy gets in." :) Of course this caught my daughter in law off guard and she starts to laugh in a reserved manner (but not easy at all). Then as my son was coming out of the pool, my daughter in law and the children were in tears, laughing so hard.

What happened was the wet gown was sticking to his underwear, and the underwear he was wearing were his long Hawaiian flowered underwear trunks. All they could see were these large Hawaiian flowers on his bottom as he was stepping out of the pool and leaving the platform. :lol: :lol:
What made it so funny is that he was so serious and never had a clue about his Flowered underwear. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Other people in the congregation were laughing and just praising God. My daughter said she couldn't tell when her tears changed over from laughter or into praising God for this special time. It was a roll of emotions all in one. When they told me this it was so funny. They even have pictures of the "Flowers'.

To this day, it's still has the family in an uproar. But I thank God that my son is saved and full of the Holy Spirit of God. My son loves Jesus...Flowers and all. ;)

Soooo, Ericka, the moral to this story, no flowered underwear. ;)

{{{ Hugs }}}

LOL!! Too funny!! :lol:

EricaUk said:
Hi,

I am a new believer after accepting Christ as my saviour. Currently I am attending bible studies at my church to know Christ more and moving towards Baptism. The thought of baptism sometimes feels a bit overwhelming to me…for those who have been baptised what were your experiences like?

I understand how you feel. :) I was excited and nervous. I also have to say that I was under tremendous attack from the enemy. It was a difficult week with so many things that came to make me want to postpone being baptized. Three days before I was to be baptized, my 2 year old son was admitted into ICU, but the doctors didn't know what was wrong.

As the days progressed, he got worse. By Wednesday night, the day I was to be baptized, he had a high fever and was quarantined. He hadn't slept in nearly 30 hours by that point, and he was crying non-stop. I was scared. It was 5:30 pm, and I was due to be baptized at 7 pm that night.

I had to make a decision. So I prayed, and I said, "Lord, I can't do anything for my son. I don't know what's wrong, and the doctors can't tell me what's wrong. But I'm going to meet you in the baptismal waters tonight, no matter what it costs me." I kissed my baby good-bye and left him with my sister, and headed off to church.

When it was my turn to get into the waters, I looked at the clock to see the time, and it was exactly 7:15 pm. I was singing and praising God. After service was over, I rushed back to the hospital, and found my son sound asleep for the first time in over 30 hours. When I asked my sister what happened, she said to me, "I don't know. But around 7:15 his fever broke, and he just went right to sleep!" Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! :clap: I still get goose bumps to this day when I remember that, but I'm so grateful God gave me such a wonderful testimony!! I can say that I KNOW the enemy, and I KNOW the LORD!!

pebbles said:
I understand how you feel. :) I was excited and nervous. I also have to say that I was under tremendous attack from the enemy. It was a difficult week with so many things that came to make me want to postpone being baptized. Three days before I was to be baptized, my 2 year old son was admitted into ICU, but the doctors didn't know what was wrong.

As the days progressed, he got worse. By Wednesday night, the day I was to be baptized, he had a high fever and was quarantined. He hadn't slept in nearly 30 hours by that point, and he was crying non-stop. I was scared. It was 5:30 pm, and I was due to be baptized at 7 pm that night.

I had to make a decision. So I prayed, and I said, "Lord, I can't do anything for my son. I don't know what's wrong, and the doctors can't tell me what's wrong. But I'm going to meet you in the baptismal waters tonight, no matter what it costs me." I kissed my baby good-bye and left him with my sister, and headed off to church.

When it was my turn to get into the waters, I looked at the clock to see the time, and it was exactly 7:15 pm. I was singing and praising God. After service was over, I rushed back to the hospital, and found my son sound asleep for the first time in over 30 hours. When I asked my sister what happened, she said to me, "I don't know. But around 7:15 his fever broke, and he just went right to sleep!" Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! :clap: I still get goose bumps to this day when I remember that, but I'm so grateful God gave me such a wonderful testimony!! I can say that I KNOW the enemy, and I KNOW the LORD!!

Ain't Jesus THE TRUTH! What a powerful testimony, Pebs.

pebbles said:

This brings tears to my eyes. Pebs, it reminds me of Abraham. You had no choice than to leave your son in the hands of God. For God is faithful that promised. He promises to guard all that is ours...He maintains our lot (Psalm 16).

God knows that was not easy for you to do. But to trust God...OH! How He honored your faith in Him. God rewarded your trust in Him. And guess what, He's not through blessing you....totally not through.

As Bishop Eddie Long would say, "Now Watch This...Watch This" ;)
As Bishop TD Jakes would say, "Get Ready, Get Ready, Get Ready." ;)

As Jesus says, "It is written...." Now therefore, so it shall be. Whatever your heart desires. But why would God want to bless you so?

Want scripture for backup?

"...and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws." (Genesis 26:5)

Just like Abraham...you obeyed God; you trusted Him with your precious son.

He will give you the desires of your heart and make all your plans succeed. (Psalm 20:4).

Selah...;)

Shimmie said:
This brings tears to my eyes. Pebs, it reminds me of Abraham. You had no choice than to leave your son in the hands of God. For God is faithful that promised. He promises to guard all that is ours...He maintains our lot (Psalm 16).

God knows that was not easy for you to do. But to trust God...OH! How He honored your faith in Him. God rewarded your trust in Him. And guess what, He's not through blessing you....totally not through.

As Bishop Eddie Long would say, "Now Watch This...Watch This" ;)
As Bishop TD Jakes would say, "Get Ready, Get Ready, Get Ready." ;)

As Jesus says, "It is written...." Now therefore, so it shall be. Whatever your heart desires. But why would God want to bless you so?

Want scripture for backup?

"...and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws." (Genesis 26:5)

Just like Abraham...you obeyed God; you trusted Him with your precious son.

He will give you the desires of your heart and make all your plans succeed. (Psalm 20:4).

Selah...;)

Thank-you, Shimmie! :kiss: I do feel really blessed of the Lord. I'm grateful, because this is just one example of the miracles I've seen God work around me. Both of my sons are saved, (14 and 12 years old), and during the summer time, they go out with a group called The Joshua Generation, and for 3 weeks they go throughout the city ministering The Word and winning souls for the Kingdom, and in a time when so many young boys are involved in gangs and violence and drugs, I can say that God has covered my house with His Grace and Mercy, and I couldn't ask for better kids. :)

They started a 10 day fast yesterday. No television, no music, no video games, no computers for 10 days. They are immersing themselves in their bibles for that time, and after they read, they have quiet time so that the sound of God's voice can be magnified in their ears. How often do you hear that kind of sacrifice from 2 kids so young? :)

pebbles said:
Thank-you, Shimmie! :kiss: I do feel really blessed of the Lord. I'm grateful, because this is just one example of the miracles I've seen God work around me. Both of my sons are saved, (14 and 12 years old), and during the summer time, they go out with a group called The Joshua Generation, and for 3 weeks they go throughout the city ministering The Word and winning souls for the Kingdom, and in a time when so many young boys are involved in gangs and violence and drugs, I can say that God has covered my house with His Grace and Mercy, and I couldn't ask for better kids. :)

They started a 10 day fast yesterday. No television, no music, no video games, no computers for 10 days. They are immersing themselves in their bibles for that time, and after they read, they have quiet time so that the sound of God's voice can be magnified in their ears. How often do you hear that kind of sacrifice from 2 kids so young? :)

Pebs.........:cry3: This is beautiful. I want to cry. I love this. Oohhh, God is so good. But Pebbles, look at your 'Fruit'. How blessed is the Fruit of your Body, which shall remain...

Thank for bringing this joy to my heart. You have 'two Daniels', who think little of the sacrifice to fast and pray...and hear the word of the Lord.

Watch for the miracles...of such good 'Fruit.' ;)

Please give them a hug from 'Mama'... :kiss:

Again...

Just like Abraham...you obeyed God; you trusted Him with your precious Sons

Last edited:
Pebbles your testimony is amazing, yep :yep:only God could do something like that. I’m happy to hear that he is blessing you and your family, I pray that he continues to do so. Hearing everyones positive (and funny!!) experiences make me open to the great things he can do in my life. :)

Shimmie said:
Pebs.........:cry3: This is beautiful. I want to cry. I love this. Oohhh, God is so good. But Pebbles, look at your 'Fruit'. How blessed is the Fruit of your Body, which shall remain...

Thank for bringing this joy to my heart. You have 'two Daniels', who think little of the sacrifice to fast and pray...and hear the word of the Lord.

Watch for the miracles...of such good 'Fruit.' ;)

Please give them a hug from 'Mama'... :kiss:

Again...

Just like Abraham...you obeyed God; you trusted Him with your precious Sons

I receive it!! :clap:

EricaUk said:
Pebbles your testimony is amazing, yep :yep:only God could do something like that. I’m happy to hear that he is blessing you and your family, I pray that he continues to do so. Hearing everyones positive (and funny!!) experiences make me open to the great things he can do in my life. :)

Be encouraged, sweetie! The Christian life is a difficult walk, because the world isn't always going to like you, and sometimes you'll feel that you're standing alone, but ALWAYS have faith, and believe that God has you covered, always! He may not show up when you want HIM to, but never forget that He knows what's best for us and is ALWAYS right on time! His time is not our time, and His understand is not our understanding. Stand firm, and watch God cause you to leap over obstacles and run through the armies of hell. You have the victory, and I thank God that He has chosen you, not the other way around. He chose you! Rejoice! :clap:

Yes you are right, I believe he has chosen me :). For months I was just going to different churches and attending a regular Sunday service, but I didn’t get anything out it and stopped going. After staying home for a few Sunday’s I decided to look around for another church. So the Sunday I go to the church and during the service the Bishop said “if there is someone here that is not a Christian and not baptised, please come to the altar” and I just thought that’s a sign, God’s telling me to go to the altar, and for months now I haven’t heard the Bishop say that again.

Back