WAR: New growth Vs Relaxed ends

beana3

okay, i dont know if i'm the only one who has noticed this, but since i've taken my hair into my own hands, I can't get my "new" hair to agree with my "old" hair.
For one, i have purposely UNDER processed my hair since May. I decided to do this 4 months (did not relax in this time to give my hair a break) after a TRAUMATIC salon experience that has seriously thinned out my hair and given me irreparable damage. I'm starting to think that wasn't such a good idea.
I have incurred breakage overtime from the extreme differences of hair textures on my head. It feel like i'm "transitioning" except i still texturize/very lightly relax my hair. I'm, experiencing all the signs of a transitioner.... cutting off relaxed (and damaged in my case) ends, being extra careful not to disrupt the point at which the two textures meet, not knowing what to do as far as styling goes b/c the two textures require different looks.
I have 3-6 inches of texturized and healthy hair while the other 6-9inches of hair are waving their flimsy strands at me in mockery. It seems i can never make up my mind about going natural or staying relaxed. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I think the mere fact that i think about it everyday is a sign.....

Miss Montserrat

beana3,
I actually waited 2 months to relax when I normally wait six weeks and I found that I had a similar problem. I think the Profectiv products work really well on new growth. They have a product designed specifically for Roots. What I did was make several part in my hair and applied it directly to my newgrowth before I tied my hair up at night (around relaxer time). I also find that thicker conditioners like cholesterol, etc. give me that extra boost of moisture and combability when Im trying to manage my new growth. I also use a creamy leave in (like Salerm) when I have thicccckkk roots. I switch back to my lighter products after I relax. I hope that helps a little.

BrightEyes

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I have 3-6 inches of texturized and healthy hair while the other 6-9inches of hair are waving their flimsy strands at me in mockery.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, that's good! Can I use that? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, what you are dealing with is very normal because in a sense, you ARE transitioning. Even though you are still processing your new growth, it's a lot stronger than your relaxed hair. I say that the "war" between natural and relaxed isn't always between people. When placed on the same strand, the natural end tends to overpower the relaxed end. The result is usually separation (breaking). Being gentle and careful isn't going to do much, because you hair knows what it wants to do, and it's going to do it.

You think about your hair everyday, because you have to look at it and deal with it everyday. I wouldn't say it was a sign. It's just nature taking its course.

beana3

thanks for the suggestions. I've wanted to try profective products for a long time, but it was against my PJ creed. Now i have an excuse!
Miss mont: can you teel me exactly what the salerm does for your new growth?? does it make it lay down more or what?? i saw a bottle of this stuff on sale for $6 ()as opposed to $9) Does it help with detangling?

Miss Montserrat

Where did you see it for $6? Anyway, when i put a fresh relaxer in my hair I use a very light leave in because i dont need as much conditioning but when I have really thick new growth and Im in between relaxers I tend to use heavier products in general. For some reason, this leave in brings my hair (new growth included) back to that soft manageable texture. It really helps if you're trying to strech out the time between relaxers. I really hate any type of film and this is one of the only creme leave ins that dont leave me with any kind of dulling effect. It improves my combability because it is extremely thick. I think the key is to use it in moderation (quater sized amount). Let me know what you think. Its one of my top five leave-ins.

P.S. Where did you see the Kwick Dry for $160. I went to Sallys and it was still $275.

beana3

I saw the salerm 21 for $6 in the beauty supply store across from the Apollo on 125th, there were only 2 left, so they might not be there when u go.
Everywhere else i go the salerm is $8.99- $11.99 does that sound right?? oh and i did not post about the Kwick dry (sorry /images/graemlins/wink.gif) BUT i am interested in knowing ghow much you want for the dryer you want to sell!