Warning Wen Products Have Ingredients That Cause Hair Loss

LexiDior

I use Fig and Tea Tree and here are the ingredients from QVC website.

Fig: Water, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Wild Cherry Fruit Extract, Fig Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polysorbate 60, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Menthol, Sweet Almond Oil, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Methlisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Essential Oils.

Tea Tree: Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Rosemary Extract, Wild Cherry Fruit Extract, Chamomile Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Panthenol Pro-Vitamin B5, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 60, Menthol, Essential Oils, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein,
Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid.

I wonder what is taking out people's hair then?

MzRhonda

Also I think the offering from the infomercial was not fig or tea tree but one of the others that is supposed to be able to be used for any hair type.

ETA: which probably really isn't for all hair types I know tried the sweet almond mint and did not like it on my hair.

MzRhonda

Sweet Almond Mint ingredient list from QVC website not sure if these are the same ingredients in the product sold via infomercial, I heard there was a difference.

Sweet Almond Mint: Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Chamomile Extract, Cherry Bark Extract, Calendula Extract, Rosemary Extract, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Panthenol, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Whole Wheat Protein, PEG-60, Almond Glycerides, Menthol, Essential Oils, Citric Acid, Methylchoroisothiazolinone,
Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance.

MzRhonda

This is what I found on one of the ingredients I did not find in Tea Tree or Fig but saw in sweet almond mint.

Behentrimonium chloride. Acts as an anti-static and conditioning agent. Its waxy texture also makes it a great defrizzer and emulsifier. Primarily used in hair care products such as conditioner, dye and mousse. Behentrimonium chloride is a toxic compound, and concentrations of .1% and higher have been shown to damage the eyes by causing tissue death of the mucous membranes. It’s also highly flammable, and irritating to the skin. Don't confuse it with behentrimonium methosulfate, which is perfectly safe.

Fine 4s

Wen is the same as a conditioner to me and I never wanted to pay that price so I was a co-washer.
Luckily I use to clarify my hair regularly because I did regular protein treatments then. I'm glad I did.
Co-washing alone may not be the way to go after all...who knows?

overtherainbow

I don't think its the ingredients, I think it's the fact that they are using it as a cleanser and not shampooing regularly. I posted in the old thread that my mom was a heavy user and it really clogged up her scalp. I had to convince her to stop and got her on a clarifying reggie. I bet if she hadn't stopped then , she would have got some shedding from all the build up.

AlkalineSteam

I don't think its the ingredients, I think it's the fact that they are using it as a cleanser and not shampooing regularly. I posted in the old thread that my mom was a heavy user and it really clogged up her scalp. I had to convince her to stop and got her on a clarifying reggie. I bet if she hadn't stopped then , she would have got some shedding from all the build up.
Wow, that's so sad. I'm glad you caught it and got your Mom on the right path.
My scalp lets me know loud and clear when its time to clarify. It gets super itchy and even sore in some places.

CodeRed

I agree. I wish that they weren't advertising it as the end all be all... like they literally say this is all you have to use ever. I took one look at that infomercial over a decade ago and thought it was bs :lol:

CodeRed

I use Fig and Tea Tree and here are the ingredients from QVC website.

Fig: Water, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Wild Cherry Fruit Extract, Fig Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polysorbate 60, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Menthol, Sweet Almond Oil, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Methlisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Essential Oils.

Tea Tree: Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Rosemary Extract, Wild Cherry Fruit Extract, Chamomile Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Panthenol Pro-Vitamin B5, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 60, Menthol, Essential Oils, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein,
Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid.

Where are the cleansing agents? I don't co-wash anymore but the conditioners I co-washed with had chelating and/or other cleansing agents in them. The general public who use these things as they are instructed don't pay attention to and may not be knowledgeable about ingredients, which is more the user's fault but still... And I hate things that say "essential oils". Which essential oils? What if someone can't use certain ones? How are they supposed to know what's in it? Ugh...

greenandchic

Where are the cleansing agents? I don't co-wash anymore but the conditioners I co-washed with had chelating and/or other cleansing agents in them. The general public who use these things as they are instructed don't pay attention to and may not be knowledgeable about ingredients, which is more the user's fault but still... And I hate things that say "essential oils". Which essential oils? What if someone can't use certain ones? How are they supposed to know what's in it? Ugh...

Yes, I was wondering how Wen was different from any old conditioner. How does it actually cleanse? I also wonder that about a lot of the so-called cowashing conditioners. The ingredients look like conditioner to me.

athenat

I never advocate one over the other....as I have tried to co-wash for long periods of time (week after week) and it didn't work. I have also tried shampooing week after week, hair was a straw mess....So I found the perfect solution one week shampoo next week co-wash, sometimes I shampoo a little more (because of my PJ'ism.....:bouncy:)....But I betcha these people just needed to wash their hair more often with plain ole "Shampoo"....specially caucasian people. But I have used similar products lie Renpure and I love it. I didn't like Hair One (Sally knock off). What's bad is that it's commercialized as the only product you need to cleanse your hair....as another poster said I heard that and stop watching the infomercial....pure BS.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
This is what I found on one of the ingredients I did not find in Tea Tree or Fig but saw in sweet almond mint.

Behentrimonium chloride. Acts as an anti-static and conditioning agent. Its waxy texture also makes it a great defrizzer and emulsifier. Primarily used in hair care products such as conditioner, dye and mousse. Behentrimonium chloride is a toxic compound, and concentrations of .1% and higher have been shown to damage the eyes by causing tissue death of the mucous membranes. It’s also highly flammable, and irritating to the skin. Don't confuse it with behentrimonium methosulfate, which is perfectly safe.
bumping this for the info!
it's a top ingredient in Revlon Uniq which I use fairly often:

Aqua/Water/Eau, Cetearyl alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride,
Fragrance/Parfum, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Limonene, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Hydroxyisohexyl-3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Amyl Cinnamal, Eugenol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Panthenol, Quaternium-80, Silk Amino Acids, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Propylene glycol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone.