WASH and GO'S = tangled mess? :|

k3mii

yesterday i decided to take my braids out.. wash my hair.. then put it in a puff
halfway through the day my hair was so tangled i couldnt even put my fingers through it :nono: and its still like that today

i was just wondering if your natural and u do a wash and go.... do you excpect tangles at the end of the day? or is there a way to avoid this?

EMJazzy

Happily retired
What products are you using? I don't have tangling problems, I use FOTI Aloe Vera Gel and LongAid Curl Activator Gel for my wash n go.

k3mii

after i conditioned my hair i used infusium 23 leave in.. then elasta qp oil recovery moisturizer

BillsBackerz67

I only get tangles if i continually do wash n goes with out detangling my hair. So every day I comb my hair and i use the denman brush. If you took your hair out of braids you probably didnt remove all of the shedded hair or properly detangled your hair.

k3mii

yeah i guess that could be a reason but when i detangled my hair the denman slipped right through it and there was no tangles :perplexed what other products do you use when leaving your hair out?

BillsBackerz67

I just use Suave Coconut or V05 as a leave in. I dont use anyother products unless im about to smooth it in to a ponytail. Have you had sucess with tangle free wash n goes before? Some people can do wash n goes but no matter what their hair is a tangled mess afterwards. I know a few members who dont do this style because it does more harm than good.

JustKiya

I think this might be one of the things that hair type really does influence. So far, I haven't found anything that I can use that will let me wear my hair out, and not end up with tangles - unless I dry it stretched first, and even that, after a couple of hours of shrinkage, turns into tangles.

michaela

Natural 4b
If i Detangle/Comb For a wash and go My hair would not be tangled.
But sometimes i would have my days and i didnt want to do nothing or anything so i didnt care...But i know i shed like a dog and its best for me to comb/detangle to get the shed hair out so it want cause tangles.

k3mii

thanks for all the replys

billsbacker67 i guess my hair must not be made for wash and go's as this has happened at every attempt!

justkiya what styles do you do to your hair? since you cant do this one

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I only get tangles if i continually do wash n goes with out detangling my hair. So every day I comb my hair and i use the denman brush. If you took your hair out of braids you probably didnt remove all of the shedded hair or properly detangled your hair.
I agree. Detangling each time is the only way I would be able to get by with frequent wash n goes. That's why I don't do wash n goes because I don't feel like dentangling my hair every single day.

By the way, Aussie Moist Conditioner is one of the best conditioners I have used for co-washing.

BrownSkin2

I don't do wash n go's or I'll end up with a tangled mess after a day or two. I wear twists or stretched out styles.

luckiestdestiny

I think it also depends on the texture and length. I don't do wash n goes anymore because my hair is so thick and as it gets longer it tangles easily (it has always been tangly. Even when I was little my mom complained about this and the shrinkage, so it's definitely not from damage). I used all the suggested products but that just doesn't seem to work for me. I want to preserve my hair, not destroy it. Actually I either braid my hair, or wear it out and straight. Flatironing now works better for me with protection of course, and my hair is still growing even though I cut it like no tomorrow. It's at bottom of brastrap now on it's way to mid back (I shaved myself almost bald and it grew to mid back, and then I cut it to shoulder to get layering problems out, and now it's back to lower brastrap). So when people tell you that there's only one way to grow hair like with wash n' gos they may not be for you. Judge your hair type, you know what works for you. I'm 3c mostly 4a by the way.

anon123

I think this might be one of the things that hair type really does influence. So far, I haven't found anything that I can use that will let me wear my hair out, and not end up with tangles - unless I dry it stretched first, and even that, after a couple of hours of shrinkage, turns into tangles.

this is the same for me, with wash and gos being a nightmare after more than 1 day and loose hair causing me trouble after more than 3 or 4. you can give it a try with some other suggestions, that's the only way you'll know. i tried a few ways for both wash and gos and loose chunky afro type hair but was unsuccessful and was losing hair. literally, i was tracking growth and my hair got shorter. this was with me doing frequent washes and detangling, no matter how gentle i was, detangling that often made me lose hair. so rather than continue experimenting i just stopped. i still wear my hair loose, but for no more than a few days at a time and i haven't tried a regular wash and go since.

oh, but i did want to suggest maybe trying a braided roots wash and go. all of the hair is braided at the roots, small braids with like the first 1/2" braided. the rest is loose. for some reason, the braided roots seem to be able to help the hair clump and keep it from tangling. i was able to do this for a while and my loose hair was not tangled at all, which, knowing my hair, is absolutely amazing. my braided roots were matted, though, so if you do this i'd suggest doing it for a short time at first, no more than a week or two before taking them down to detangle, and if that's successful extending the period of time you go without taking them down.

k3mii

so if you do not do wash and go's but still leave your hair out do you plait your hair for a few days and then let it out that way?

or stretch it some other way?

DragonPearl

I just use Suave Coconut or V05 as a leave in. I dont use anyother products unless im about to smooth it in to a ponytail. Have you had sucess with tangle free wash n goes before? Some people can do wash n goes but no matter what their hair is a tangled mess afterwards. I know a few members who dont do this style because it does more harm than good.

* Raising my hand *

Sweet_Ambrosia

I always detangle my hair when I wash it no matter what style I’m planning to wear, I do feel that’s one of the main reasons why I don’t experience any tangles when I wear a wash ‘n go, that and the products I use.

~~HoneyComb~~

I agree. Detangling each time is the only way I would be able to get by with frequent wash n goes. That's why I don't do wash n goes because I don't feel like dentangling my hair every single day.

By the way, Aussie Moist Conditioner is one of the best conditioners I have used for co-washing.

This is the reason I don't do washngos anymore. To wear my hair out, I have to do either a flat twist-out or single twist-out and retwist my hair every night.

sunshinelady

I have not gotten tangles under control period. I texlaxed and my tangles got worse. I think a lot of it has to do with the hair's cuticle. The only thing I know that helps with that is ensuring that the hair porosity is correct.

anon123

so if you do not do wash and go's but still leave your hair out do you plait your hair for a few days and then let it out that way?

or stretch it some other way?

If I'm wearing a chunky afro, I'll wash at night and and put in big twists to dry and in the morning undo the twists and wear it out. At night I'll tie it down or twist it up again in big twists and repeat.