Washing Before a Relaxer?

Aireen

I've searched for answers to this question but I would like some more opinions.

I can't stretch for 5 months like I planned anymore because my hairdresser's salon is doing renovations. :sad: I'm going on Saturday morning for a touch-up and I would really like to wash tonight. I plan to wash with Motions Neutralizing Shampoo and my hairdresser relaxes with Optimum. From what I searched CON left buildup so that might have been more appropriate to use but I no longer have anymore. :blah:

Anyway, with the information provided, will I be able to wash AND relax without burning my scalp off? :couchfire: :burning: I'm scared. :sad:

sunnieb

I always wash before my touch ups and don't have any problems.

I usually do a clarifying shampoo and follow with a moisturizing shampoo/dc 3 days before a relaxer. The night before, I do a protein dc (no shampoo) to further loosen up my newgrowth to make the relaxer application process easier.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Well I have to come in and say don't do it! I did it once and I was VERY gentle and my scalp was on fire for the first time. I never got burned other than that occasion. I had washed on a Wednesday and got a touchup on Saturday. So I would strongly advice against it.

Aireen

I always wash before my touch ups and don't have any problems.

I usually do a clarifying shampoo and follow with a moisturizing shampoo/dc 3 days before a relaxer. The night before, I do a protein dc (no shampoo) to further loosen up my newgrowth to make the relaxer application process easier.

Thank you for your input! I was considering co-washing instead of using shampoo.

Yes, I always wash 3 days before too. Just be gentle with your scalp and you'll be fine.

Yes, I plan to. I usually wash my scalp twice or three times depending on how oily my scalp is but in this case I only plan to wash once. My scalp isn't itchy but I know I have at least one sore, hopefully that doesn't affect how badly I burn. :sad:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I started washing my hair the night before relaxing after reading Dlewis' blog. I cant go any more than 24-48 hrs after washing or my hair will draw back on itself. I try not to scratch too much prior to relaxing as well.

I turn my showerhead on the force that is not strong.
I DONOT scrub my scalp at All. I airdry and then I comb my hair VERY GENTLY to detangle. I make sure I give my scalp at least 8 hrs to calm down before I relax
I use a ph balanced shampoo (PM shampoo 3)

I use Mizani BB relaxer

My last relaxer I tried to see if I could go without washing and I burned a tiny bit on the areas that were difficult to part.

Aireen

Well I have to come in and say don't do it! I did it once and I was VERY gentle and my scalp was on fire for the first time. I never got burned other than that occasion. I had washed on a Wednesday and got a touchup on Saturday. So I would strongly advice against it.

Darn! :sad: I've washed 4 days before with NO problems at all but I'm scared since it's not even 72 hours I'm waiting anymore. I was wondering if I put some oil on my scalp if I'd be okay... I really don't want to go to the salon with my hair looking crazy, especially since I'm working out tomorrow.

I started washing my hair the night before relaxing after reading Dlewis' blog. I cant go any more than 24-48 hrs after washing or my hair will draw back on itself. I try not to scratch too much prior to relaxing as well.

I turn my showerhead on the force that is not strong.
I DONOT scrub my scalp at All. I airdry and then I comb my hair VERY GENTLY to detangle. I make sure I give my scalp at least 8 hrs to calm down before I relax
I use a ph balanced shampoo (PM shampoo 3)

I use Mizani BB relaxer

My last relaxer I tried to see if I could go without washing and I burned a tiny bit on the areas that were difficult to part.

Thank you for your input, I didn't know the water force from the shower head would matter. Still contemplating whether or not I should or shouldn't anymore. I REALLY don't want to damage my scalp this relaxer, I'm trying to get really serious with my hair care and that includes the condition of my scalp.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Darn! :sad: I've washed 4 days before with NO problems at all but I'm scared since it's not even 72 hours I'm waiting anymore. I was wondering if I put some oil on my scalp if I'd be okay... I really don't want to go to the salon with my hair looking crazy, especially since I'm working out tomorrow.

Thank you for your input, I didn't know the water force from the shower head would matter. Still contemplating whether or not I should or shouldn't anymore. I REALLY don't want to damage my scalp this relaxer, I'm trying to get really serious with my hair care and that includes the condition of my scalp.

Yes it can, because if the force is too strong that can be the equivalant to a person scratching their scalp alot.

LushLox

Yeah I just touched up today actually and I washed my hair yesterday - I was also five months post. The comb just went through the NG like butter. I don't have any problems using this method, no irritation no burning - nothing and the results were decent too.

Aireen

Yeah I just touched up today actually and I washed my hair yesterday - I was also five months post. The comb just went through the NG like butter. I don't have any problems using this method, no irritation no burning - nothing and the results were decent too.

How many shampoo washes did you do before conditioning? Did you have any itchies or sores? Sorry for the questions, these are just my concerns and I can't really postpone the appointment due to the salon's renovations. :look:

LushLox

I did a clarifying shampoo followed by a moisture poo. I also did a rollerset - not sure how I got away with all of that but it sure helped!! No I didn't have any sores or itchies.

Mind you though I wonder whether the type of relaxer makes a difference - it probably does. I use no lye which is supposed to be a bit more gentle on the scalp, I'm not too sure about the lye relaxers though, and how using lye would work with the pre-washing.

Aireen

I did a clarifying shampoo followed by a moisture poo. I also did a rollerset - not sure how I got away with all of that but it sure helped!! No I didn't have any sores or itchies.

Mind you though I wonder whether the type of relaxer makes a difference - it probably does. I use no lye which is supposed to be a bit more gentle on the scalp, I'm not too sure about the lye relaxers though, and how using lye would work with the pre-washing.

The thing is I think neutralizing shampoos get rid of a lot of the buildup and if I was using a moisturizing shampoo such as CON, I wouldn't hesitate to wash since it does leave deposits.

Yeah, that's why I said my hairdresser uses Optimum. I wouldn't wash if the circumstances were different but I worked out on Sunday and I'm working out tomorrow so I know my hair is going to be a mess. I just don't want to risk losing any unnecessary hairs because we all know sometimes we are more gentle with our own hair than others.

Your Cheeziness

I think another factor is what type of relaxer everyone used and who did their relaxer. If the scalp was completely avoided with relaxer and rinsed out early, etc they're less likely to burn. In my experience, I couldn't wash within 3 days of a relaxer or I'd burn like crap - even with basing. i used regular strength. I wouldn't risk it and you said you're working out the next day anyway. You can mist your hair with water the night before and set it in a bun with a scarf if you want to look decent for your appointment.

Aireen

I'm sure it will be fine, as others have said just be gentle. :yep:

Yeah I'll update if I decide to and how it goes probably. If I don't do it tonight, I'm not going to bother since I know my scalp and I'll burn if I try to wash in 24-48 hours. :drunk:

Aireen

I think another factor is what type of relaxer everyone used and who did their relaxer. If the scalp was completely avoided with relaxer and rinsed out early, etc they're less likely to burn. In my experience, I couldn't wash within 3 days of a relaxer or I'd burn like crap - even with basing. i used regular strength. I wouldn't risk it and you said you're working out the next day anyway. You can mist your hair with water the night before and set it in a bun with a scarf if you want to look decent for your appointment.

Yes, 4 days was okay for me but 3 days — well less than 3 now in terms of hours — is pushing the limit for me, I don't want to end up crying. :burning:

Your Cheeziness

Does anyone at least recommend me co-washing? :look:

Not me. The product isn't really the issue, it's opening your scalp with warm water and excessive manipulation. Is your hair really that dirty? I always get a fresh look on my hair (relaxed and natural) by just misting with water and restyling. You can do a braidout or something like that where volume is preferable.

Aireen

Not me. The product isn't really the issue, it's opening your scalp with warm water and excessive manipulation. Is your hair really that dirty? I always get a fresh look on my hair (relaxed and natural) by just misting with water and restyling. You can do a braidout or something like that where volume is preferable.

Hm then I won't bother, too risky. I'll detangle carefully use water or oil and restyle. Thanks for your advice.

Your Cheeziness

Hm then I won't bother, too risky. I'll detangle carefully use water or oil and restyle. Thanks for your advice.

Imo it's better to be safe than sorry. Clearly some people can take it and others can't. I'd hate for your scalp to get burned and all of that purty hurr get messed up! Soooo ummmm, make sure to post pics...K?? lol:grin:

Aireen

Imo it's better to be safe than sorry. Clearly some people can take it and others can't. I'd hate for your scalp to get burned and all of that purty hurr get messed up! Soooo ummmm, make sure to post pics...K?? lol:grin:

Thanks! :grin: Yeah I've actually teared up because of a relaxer before when I was younger, wasn't crying but it burned so much my eyes watered and that was because I had severe sores. I made sure that NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN.

I'll be posting pictures in challenge threads and I'll be making an album so if you check my profile late Saturday or Sunday, I'll have pictures! :lick: :grin:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

I do my own relaxers and I use lye. I dont understand when people even hairstylist say avoid the scalp when applying. Yeah, the scalp may be avoided when applying initially but when it is time to smooth the relaxer will get on the scalp.

Aireen mist with water (distilled or filtered) if you are not comfortable

Aireen

I do my own relaxers and I use lye. I dont understand when people even hairstylist say avoid the scalp when applying. Yeah, the scalp may be avoided when applying initially but when it is time to smooth the relaxer will get on the scalp.

Aireen mist with water (distilled or filtered) if you are not comfortable

I guess they mean if you apply it initially, it can cause damage to the scalp. Smoothing is the last step usually so whatever relaxer that gets on the scalp doesn't stay on very long.

Yes, I plan to mist with water, thank you! :yep:

TLC1020

I always shampoo my hair a few days before relaxer, always have... I want to get all the oil, flat iron, curls or whatever I have in my hair out.. It never burn and if it does it is usually after I went over my entire head already. Most of the time I'd wear a hat or some type of covering after I shampoo and deep condition my hair before relaxer.

Aireen

I always shampoo my hair a few days before relaxer, always have... I want to get all the oil, flat iron, curls or whatever I have in my hair out.. It never burn and if it does it is usually after I went over my entire head already. Most of the time I'd wear a hat or some type of covering after I shampoo and deep condition my hair before relaxer.

Yeah I know some people can do it and some people can't. I'm already going on Saturday though and decided against washing because my scalp is VERY sensitive. :sad: I'll stick with 4 days for the most because I already burn as it is, even when I don't itch I get a mystery sore... :look: