Washing Crochet Braids

LeftRightRepeat

I see a bunch of tutorials on youtube, but am looking for "real life" testimonials. What's the method that worked best for you?

I am wearing freetress finger roll or curl hair (cant remember the exact name). Is there any way to wash this and have it come out looking okay.

I like the look of crochet braids but maybe i didnt think it through....with regard to the washing aspect.

Last edited:

GGsKin

I don't know what that hair looks like, but I have washed my crochet braids that were done with various curly synthetic hair- marley/afro braid hair set on perm rods, water wave, bohemian, some other larger curls (I would often mix and blend curl types and sizes). And the hair would look good after. I always rocked these styles for more than 2 months. Marley hair was the most work.

In the shower I'd apply shampoo to my roots, running my fingers down the parts and let the water flow, smoothing and squeezing the length. I had to remove paint and powder from my hair, and it did the trick.

LeftRightRepeat

I don't know what that hair looks like, but I have washed my crochet braids that were done with various curly synthetic hair- marley/afro braid hair set on perm rods, water wave, bohemian, some other larger curls (I would often mix and blend curl types and sizes). And the hair would look good after. I always rocked these styles for more than 2 months. Marley hair was the most work.

In the shower I'd apply shampoo to my roots, running my fingers down the parts and let the water flow, smoothing and squeezing the length. I had to remove paint and powder from my hair, and it did the trick.
Thanks! the hair looks very much like this... i'm hoping i can just do what you did, and twist and let it dry?

GGsKin

Thanks! the hair looks very much like this... i'm hoping i can just do what you did, and twist and let it dry?

How long have you had the install? Does the hair tangle a lot? I'm not familiar with this type of hair so my initial concern is if it would mat? I like your twisting idea. Maybe twisting it first in large loose twists would help. Focus more on your roots and try not to manipulate the hair too much.

LeftRightRepeat

How long have you had the install? Does the hair tangle a lot? I'm not familiar with this type of hair so my initial concern is if it would mat? I like your twisting idea. Maybe twisting it first in large loose twists would help. Focus more on your roots and try not to manipulate the hair too much.

Saturday would be a week that I've had it. It's just hot and muggy outside and I exercise during the week..so it feels kind of oily. Freetress seems to be a pretty po[ular brand for synthetic so hopefully it won't mat. I'll try to hold off a bit before I wash.

Thank god I didn't get a weave as my hairdresser suggested.....she insisted that she didn't feel hot with hers....

Thanks again @AbsyBlvd

Keen

I also have Marley curley braids set with rods. I wash them with no issue. I like this style because it is easy to wash and maintain.

OP, for some reason I've thought the hair you are using would be too soft and not knot well for crochet? Let me know how it holds up for you

LeftRightRepeat

I also have Marley curley braids set with rods. I wash them with no issue. I like this style because it is easy to wash and maintain.

OP, for some reason I've thought the hair you are using would be too soft and not knot well for crochet? Let me know how it holds up for you

My hairdresser said that Marley hair is the *easiest* to install. But she didn't have a problem installing the type of hair that I selected. She also said that the very curly styles look neater for a longer time. I'm going from (my hair) straight to wavy (install) because tbh I'm not sure how the very curly would look on me, and it's a lot of money to pay to not like it. Maybe next time I'll do a *more* curly type of hair and gradually move in that direction if i like how the next install looks on me. My install was shorter and not as full as the one in the picture, and a nice summer color that i don't normally have with my dark hair.