Water Only Washing - Thoughts?

CocoGlow

1.5 Year UPDATE

Y'all a sista done fell ALL the way off! :rofl:... Ok let me explain ...

2 things went wrong

1) Apparently I was not detangling my hair thoroughly enough because over the Summer, I noticed that all those clumped coiled sections that I attributed to better hydration & sebum coverage were actually mini LOCS!!
:pullhair:

2) I could not find the best all natural clarifyers for MY scalp/hair that would not strip my sebum

So what had happened was....

I got spoiled by the "ease" of this regimen and assumed that I was getting rid of ALL of my shed hair during my water rinses under running water, but I wasn't. So my shed hair was getting trapped & slowly formed what I thought were "defined" clumps :giggle: I see now that I needed to commit to a more thorough finger detangling routine before rinsing.

Fortunately not all of my hair was loc'ing and the sections that did were not yet loc'd from root to tip ...but it did take me a while to remove them ... and I was not happy with the amount of dust/dirt/buildup I found inside of them :look: ... Also I noticed that my hair started looking a bit dusty overall.

That brings me to the 2nd point... the need to clarify

So I tried clarifying with banana baby food since the ACV rinses were useless & drying. The banana baby food was a really nice conditioner and softened my hair but did not clarify. I also tried Kaolin Clay since it is gentler than Rhassoul & Bentonite Clay, but it was really messy and seemed to strip my sebum & dry my hair out anyway. Lastly I used a shampoo bar, and of course it stripped all of my sebum like I expected - but at least my scalp/hair was finally clean! My problem was that every time I tried a new clarifier, it was either too strong or completely useless for the intended purpose :drunk:

I can say that Water Only Hair Washing is a great regimen if you are fortunate enough to figure out the best all natural clarifiers & conditioners for your hair early on in your journey, because then you would not experience a lot of setbacks and your hair would really thrive. There is a very delicate balance one must master to keep their hair coated (and protected) by sebum but then also not overly coated & dusty LOL.

The detangling issue is one that I need to pay attention to no matter what regimen I have, so that was not really an issue I can attribute to this regimen. Overall, it was an awesome experience discovering my sebum and I learned a lot about myself & my hair, but I honestly got tired of trying different things and then dealing with the aftermath. So now I am back to square one - figuring out a regimen that works best for my hair.

Sorry for the novel :giggle: ... I just figured someone might be curious about whether or not I was still doing WOW after all this time. Hope it helps :)

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Thanks for the updates, y'all. @CocoGlow I have had that "developing dread" thing happen, but realized if the coils stay clumped under running water, a shed or more is keeping it intact. My crown, back, and nape require extra care because of that.

I am still mainly oil rinsing/oil washing, still testing oils. I had one incident of having enough sebum to detangle with, so rare.

CocoGlow

@CocoGlow couldn't you use a product that you like every X number of months even if it strips your hair and start again? This way you could get a clean scalp, do your detangling, but spend a majority of the time using the WoW method?

@snoop

Technically I guess I could do that and I have not ruled it out completely ... it's just that I'd prefer not to have to strip ALL of my sebum away when I clarify and risk damaging my hair while attempting to build up my sebum all over again each time. For some reason finding the balance has been hard for me but I don't think it's impossible ... we shall see :yep:

snoop

@CocoGlow just wondering, when you clay wash do you leave it to sit on your hair or do you use it like shampoo songs wash it out right away? I'm just wondering... because you could try bentonite or rhassoul since kaolin is runny, but use it or shampoo so it's not drawing so much out of your hair. Just a thought. (I stopped letting clays sit on my hair. It stopped the drying and my hair doesn't feel less clean. I also mix my kaolin with goat's milk powder. Makes it smell good and I feel like it adds some conditioning properties to the mix, while gently exfoliating my scalp -- not a real scalp exfoliator.)

Or if you have some kaolin left over and you're willing to experiment, mix the clay and leave it to sit for 30 minutes (out of the fridge) and see if it thickens up.

CocoGlow

Raw aloe sitting on my scalp for an hour or more, followed by fermented rice water really cleansed my scalp without stripping my hair. Have you tried one of those scalp exfoliators, @CocoGlow ? Most of them use aloe, so I decided to play around with the plant gel.

@Sharpened

Raw Aloe sounds interesting and so does the Rice Water ...

Could you get by on just using the Raw Aloe alone as a cleanser or do you feel you have to follow up with the Rice Water?

Are you blending & straining the Raw Aloe or applying the gel as is directly from the leaf?

CocoGlow

@CocoGlow just wondering, when you clay wash do you leave it to sit on your hair or do you use it like shampoo songs wash it out right away? I'm just wondering... because you could try bentonite or rhassoul since kaolin is runny, but use it or shampoo so it's not drawing so much out of your hair. Just a thought. (I stopped letting clays sit on my hair. It stopped the drying and my hair doesn't feel less clean. I also mix my kaolin with goat's milk powder. Makes it smell good and I feel like it adds some conditioning properties to the mix, while gently exfoliating my scalp -- not a real scalp exfoliator.)

Or if you have some kaolin left over and you're willing to experiment, mix the clay and leave it to sit for 30 minutes (out of the fridge) and see if it thickens up.

@snoop

When I used the Kaolin Clay last time I used it like regular shampoo: I had it in an applicator bottle and it was very runny even though I did not add that much water. I rinsed my hair with warm water & then squirted the clay onto my scalp/hair, massaged it in a bit & then rinsed it out. I believe it was just a simple clay & water mix.

Do you just add water to your Kaolin Clay/Goat Milk Powder mix?

Loveygram

@CocoGlow I found finger detangling hasn't been my best option. Even when I've worn the S-fro, I take a section, comb through, smooth with fingers root to tip, then put in a temporary twist. When its all done, I release the twists, fluff and let them find their own coil patterns. This way you always remove most of the shed hairs.
Initially I used a wide tooth, then went to a medium tooth for the final pass of each section. This helps move the sebum down the hair shaft as well as the smoothing. Now that I have good coverage, I only need the wide tooth wooden one.(Seamless or well polished combs work best). I have occasionally used a fine tooth comb, a wooden brush and a soft boar bristle brush.

I know we have been taught combing is not necessary if you learn to use your fingers correctly but I'm just not that good. My finger detangling results look good but I'm not ready to freeform yet (although considering it).

The hardest is to refrain from using old familiar products that you know will make your hair do something you want, like gels , creams and butters. Something like single ingredient products, flaxseed gel, aloe, clays and oils occasionally don't seem to kill the fabulous slip of the sebum covered strands.

Aloe leaf tip: (single leaf purchase)
After you cut the piece off you're going to use, squeeze the left over leaf's end shut and pinch close. wrap the end with a bit of paper towel and clip with a chip bag clip. Keep in a cool dry spot. Mine lasts for over a month as the end seals itself and preserves whats left. I saw where someone suggested refrigeration on YT but mine rotted pretty quickly doing that.

CocoGlow

@CocoGlow I found finger detangling hasn't been my best option. Even when I've worn the S-fro, I take a section, comb through, smooth with fingers root to tip, then put in a temporary twist. When its all done, I release the twists, fluff and let them find their own coil patterns. This way you always remove most of the shed hairs.
Initially I used a wide tooth, then went to a medium tooth for the final pass of each section. This helps move the sebum down the hair shaft as well as the smoothing. Now that I have good coverage, I only need the wide tooth wooden one.(Seamless or well polished combs work best). I have occasionally used a fine tooth comb, a wooden brush and a soft boar bristle brush.

I know we have been taught combing is not necessary if you learn to use your fingers correctly but I'm just not that good. My finger detangling results look good but I'm not ready to freeform yet (although considering it).

The hardest is to refrain from using old familiar products that you know will make your hair do something you want, like gels , creams and butters. Something like single ingredient products, flaxseed gel, aloe, clays and oils occasionally don't seem to kill the fabulous slip of the sebum covered strands.

Aloe leaf tip: (single leaf purchase)
After you cut the piece off you're going to use, squeeze the left over leaf's end shut and pinch close. wrap the end with a bit of paper towel and clip with a chip bag clip. Keep in a cool dry spot. Mine lasts for over a month as the end seals itself and preserves whats left. I saw where someone suggested refrigeration on YT but mine rotted pretty quickly doing that.

@Loveygram

That's really impressive that you can use a comb on WOW!

Where did you purchase your seamless wooden comb?

Do you comb detangle each section under running water?

Last edited:

CocoGlow

I went back to water only washing this past summer. I first clarified using Hairgasm #2 clear but didn't follow up with conditioner but used a little grapeseed oil. It took a little over a week of water washing every other day before my hair felt right.
I wore a shrunken fro all summer and was amazed how much thicker my hair seemed. Now that it is -6 and 7 degrees F, I'm braided or twisted up most of the time under a slap or wrap.

I occasionally wash with aloe vera, ACV or dyi clay mix. I deep condition using products like dyi sea weed mixes, etc.
I haven't used anything creamy because it tends to stick to my scalp (I learned that from previous attempts at "water only but not quite").
I scritch before washing

Pros for me water washing only:
No longer need to detangle as in the past. Comb glides as if the best conditioners have been added.
Even wearing a shrunken fro, once the water hits it, coils release fairly easily
Found curl patterns

Cons for me:
Miss the suds
miss fragrances ( using rose water, essential oils and a sandalwood comb instead)

I realize my water is different coming from a deep well (no town water added chemicals) and don't know how much of a difference it would make. Washing 2x a week keeps it baby soft and moisturized.
I've always wanted easy to comb and manage hair and finally got it, priceless...

Best wishes to all who are trying these ancient methods of cleansing and maintaining our hair -HHJ

@Loveygram

Sorry, I went back a page & just realized you mentioned earlier that you occasionally cleanse with Aloe Vera, ACV & Clay mixes & Deep Condition with Seaweed ...

Would you mind sharing your recipes?

How often would you say you clarify and deep condition with these mixes?

When you wore your shrunken afro all Summer, did you notice additional single strand knots on your ends? Did you rinse more than 2x a week in the Summer?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
@Sharpened

Raw Aloe sounds interesting and so does the Rice Water ...

Could you get by on just using the Raw Aloe alone as a cleanser or do you feel you have to follow up with the Rice Water?

Are you blending & straining the Raw Aloe or applying the gel as is directly from the leaf?
I have used aloe alone (with or without a plastic cap), but the fermented rice water wakes up my scalp like a toner does for the face.

I blend and strain the aloe, freezing the excess. It is a 40-min drive to the store where I found them, and I do not have time to buy fresh ones constantly.

snoop

@snoop

When I used the Kaolin Clay last time I used it like regular shampoo: I had it in an applicator bottle and it was very runny even though I did not add that much water. I rinsed my hair with warm water & then squirted the clay onto my scalp/hair, massaged it in a bit & then rinsed it out. I believe it was just a simple clay & water mix.

Do you just add water to your Kaolin Clay/Goat Milk Powder mix?

I use 4 heaping tablespoons of kaolin + 4oz water. If I use goat's milk powder it's 2 heaping tablespoons with the clay and water. It is very runny, but I have a hose attachment and a stand alone shower with a hard door so I don't worry too much about splashing. Much easier clean up that making a mess with bentonite or rhassoul.

Loveygram

@Loveygram

Sorry, I went back a page & just realized you mentioned earlier that you occasionally cleanse with Aloe Vera, ACV & Clay mixes & Deep Condition with Seaweed ...

When you wore your shrunken afro all Summer, did you notice additional single strand knots on your ends? Did you rinse more than 2x a week in the Summer?
@Loveygram

For the clay wash ; just water and clay only twice last year

ACV wash; 1 part acv to 3 parts water 1 or 2 x a month

Seaweed conditioner; 1TBS kelp, 1TBS Bladderwack, 1 tsp honey (optional oils, pepperment, eucalyptus and avacado) 1/4 cup aloe gel or juice.
Leave in for about an hour. When I last did this recipe, I used the 2 seaweeds, aloe vera gel and a few drops of pepperment essential oil. This is a recipe from YT. When you mix it really well, the consistency is almost creamy. Can do once a month but I haven't done it for awhile.

Combs: seamless hercules sagemann on line (forgot name of website ), sandalwood comb on amazon.
I don't comb under running water anymore - less breakage.
I was surpised how few knots developed but I think the thorough combing after each wash helped.

In all honesty, I haven't done anything except water wash since turkey day. Just for growth purposed I did a scalp treatment with onion a few weeks ago and a carrot juice and black seed treatment (found on YT) last month. I'm using stuff I have on hand so I search for recipes using what I already have and tweak it as needed. At night, I put JBCO on edges, eyebrows and lashes. Just started doing that this week so I don't know how that''s going to work out. I'm hoping to continue the great edge regrowth I got while wearing the shrunken fro. I washed almost every other day in the summer, now about twice a week.

I concentrate on keeping my scalp clean. when I tried this the first time many years ago, it did not work at all. Like co-washing, my scalp got coated and I went back to the poo quick. I don't know exactly what went wrong but I think it was my continuing to use heavy oils and butters and not being able to remove them with just water washing. The second time I stopped because of severe hair loss but the loss was due to health challenges. So now I hope the 3rd time is the charm . HTH

snoop

Bumping this thread...

I think that my hair is completely covered in sebum (yay!), but it might be too much (boo!) My hair doesn't really shine, but I think that it might actually have a full cast to it. I want to remove some of the sebum but not all. Does anyone have any suggestions outside of clay washing?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Bumping this thread...

I think that my hair is completely covered in sebum (yay!), but it might be too much (boo!) My hair doesn't really shine, but I think that it might actually have a full cast to it. I want to remove some of the sebum but not all. Does anyone have any suggestions outside of clay washing?
An oil rinse with a lighter oil or cowash might help; you know, like removes like.

VictoriousBrownFlower

The lovely snoop gave me the idea of coming to this thread to explore the wonders of water only washing. After the recent thread of the type 4 natural with thigh length hair I've been sold on her washing method for regular cleansing and using shampoo less often (like once every 2 wks to 1 month as my hair sees fit). In the meantime I will do a water only washing version of cleansing my hair to not remove the natural sebum but keep my hair and scalp balanced and healthy.

I loved that womans reggie in the thread where I discovered water only washing but will modify it for my tastes. I plan to still use a vineager solution for the first step to clear away debris and keep my scalp free of bacteria and fungus ( I had seborrheic dermatitis). The next and most important step for me would be creating an oil specifically to kill bacteria and fungus while conditioning the hair and not smelling bad.

My idea is next month getting some essential oils and herbs to create my cleansing/conditioning treatment for after the vineager, I plan to get oregano (has the strongest anti microbial anti fungal properties) thyme (the second strongest) and lavender (the weakest but mainly to enhance the scent). I will blend them in the carrier oils hemp seed and avocado (which I already have). I also wanted to infuse the oil with herbs suited for my conditioning and scalp treatment needs. I plan to get them all from mountain rose herb which imo is the top of the line in quality for natural ingredients. I love the fact that their essential oils are extracted through a water process not alcohol.

I plan to take this oil and apply it to the hair and scalp and let it sit with heat for at least a half an hr b4 washing it out and doing the rest of my reggie. We'll see how it goes.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seborrheic-dermatitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20352710