WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY!

H

honey_jammz82

OK, today I was sitting in class half asleep when one of the ladies walked in late. Her hair is natural and she hardly ever wears it out, but today she had it picked out and it was *HUGE*! I was thinking to myself, wow, her hair is beautiful....then another female, black classmate of mine leaned over and wispered in my ear "someone is having a bad hair day, lol".

I was shocked, I did not even know what to say, as a matter of fact I don't even remember how or if I responded. There is another lady in my class who has similar hair to me(3b/3c), she is always talking about her daughter who has "bad hair", I have never seen her daughter, but it urks the ish out of me everytime she talks about her. She says her daughter is frusterated b/c she does not have curls like her mom, and she can't do anything with her hair. I gave her this website, not only her but like 3 other women in my class as well, and I try to give tips, but I get soooo frusterated with people's ignorant comments, and to make matters worse they are bashing their own people, which makes no sense to me(and if you think about it, we are all one or two alphabet letters away from having the same hair types anyways,lol)

I have numerous other stories I could write about, but I think today everything just reached a boiling point for me....I need to vent about it. Those kind of mentalities are what made me think for soooo long that I should not go natural, and then when I did I was always afraid of what others would think about my curls. Alright, I feel better...how do you all handle hair discussions and things like this with others? I don't know what else to say or do...maybe I should just ignore it

Girl I know how you feel. When I had my 2nd son, my mother-in-law came to the hospital to see him and the first thing she did was lift his hat to see what kind of hair he had. When she said "Oh Lord, he has ni%$a hair", my mom went off. My mother asked her if it mattered. She was couldn't say a word. My momma told her that she was a "house negro".

Sorry to share my experience, I just know what you are going through. I don't think I could sit there though. You are good.

Back