Weekly Dominican Blowouts...Healthy???

Serious

So for a little over a year I've been going to a Dominican salon for weekly roller sets getting just my roots blown out. I love the results, straight hair with no heat needed during the week and more growth.

However, I now have breakage in several areas - nape, edges, and crown for the first time. Some of this was caused by previous relaxers but it just doesn't seem to be coming back as quickly.

I don't know if the breakage is caused by or the regrowth stunted by the direct heat and/or the tension from the round brush. Has anyone else experienced problems with frequent blowouts? Have any 4a/b's had success following this regimine? Any suggestions for altering or aiding in this approach??

I am addicted to the results but afraid of ending up with severely "damaged" hair. Any suggestions for this newbie greatly appreciated :)

loveable37

I never had one but i remember someone stated how the heat kinda irritating to the saclp how hot the dryer can get on the scalp well my scalp really tender i probably want never get it done.:perplexed

Mars_Reiko

Serious said:
So for a little over a year I've been going to a Dominican salon for weekly roller sets getting just my roots blown out. I love the results, straight hair with no heat needed during the week and more growth.

However, I now have breakage in several areas - nape, edges, and crown for the first time. Some of this was caused by previous relaxers but it just doesn't seem to be coming back as quickly.

I don't know if the breakage is caused by or the regrowth stunted by the direct heat and/or the tension from the round brush. Has anyone else experienced problems with frequent blowouts? Have any 4a/b's had success following this regimine? Any suggestions for altering or aiding in this approach??

I am addicted to the results but afraid of ending up with severely "damaged" hair. Any suggestions for this newbie greatly appreciated :)

I know what you mean about being addicted to the results. I do an at home dominican blowout every 2 weeks. I haven't experienced any breakage yet. I make sure to properly deep condition and do protein treatments regularly. Does the stylist use a heat protectant? I think that maybe you could cut back the blow outs to every 2 weeks. I don't know too much, as I'm not as far from being a newbie myself. I'm sure the veterans will come and give much more detailed advice:)

navsegda

Serious said:

Well, hair is dead so it can't feel anything (lucky for those of us who use heat haha). But even if you use a heat protectant, there isn't really one for your scalp and I would be afraid of burning or damaging the scalp follicles. Why don't you get a blowout less frequently and then use a heat protectant and flat iron the roots so you don't have so much heat? I've never had a dominican blowout, but from what I've heard it's really HOT. I use a BaByliss Thermal Ionic Dryer and I barely let it anywhere near my roots because I can't stand the way the heat feels on my scalp. I'll switch it to cold shot with the quickness and let my Solia do the rest lol.

Serious

Thanks for the replies. I recently started bringing my own deep conditioner to the salon (Bumble and Bumble Deep, contains protein) since I don't know what they've been using. Switching to 2 weeks is a good suggestion I could try.Yes it is HOT, I never considered scalp damage :0

I've never used a Heat Protectant, any recommendations?

Last edited:

navsegda

Serious said:
Thanks for the replies. I recently started bringing my own deep conditioner to the salon (Bumble and Bumble Deep, contains protein) since I don't know what they've been using. Switching to 2 weeks is a good suggestion I could try.Yes it is HOT, I never considered scalp damage :0

I've never used a Heat Protectant, any recommendations?
Girl, don't get me started lol. CHI Silk Infusion is number 1 in my book. It serves as both a phenomenal heat protectant and serum that will get your hair straight and silky. Using heat actually helps the silk proteins penetrately deeply into the hair strands. I love to use it when I'm flat ironing with my Solia and I'm telling you I would not use anything else. If they ever stop making this stuff, I will personally write them a letter cussing them out. :grin::lachen:

You can get it at JCPenney Salon, Trade Secret, etc. You can also order it online here (in the 6 oz. or 2 oz.): http://www.folica.com/CHI_Silk_Infusi_d2300.html

Nexxus Heat Protexx is also really good.

P.S. It is of the utmost importance that you ALWAYS use a heat protectant when putting any kind of heat on your hair if you don't want your hair damaged in the long run. Wouldn't it be cool if someone came up with a ceramic or more advanced flat iron that had little holes in the plates and would secrete Silk Infusion or some other good heat protectant as you flat ironed? Now that's smart.

Last edited:

janeemat

I've never had a Dominican blowout, but to me to use a blowdryer weekly would be damaging. Why not get a rollerset then a wrap (doobie)? I have good results with this up until about 6 wks post relaxer. Then for the remaining 3 wks I do have to use a ceramic iron to smooth the new growth. I just know that I retired my blower in 2005 and it's the best thing I could have done for my hair.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Mars_Reiko said:
I know what you mean about being addicted to the results. I do an at home dominican blowout every 2 weeks. I haven't experienced any breakage yet. I make sure to properly deep condition and do protein treatments regularly. Does the stylist use a heat protectant? I think that maybe you could cut back the blow outs to every 2 weeks. I don't know too much, as I'm not as far from being a newbie myself. I'm sure the veterans will come and give much more detailed advice:)
I would suggest this as well. And always use a heat protectant.

Caramela

I have never thought they could be healthy. I understand that even if you're stretching and have a good bit of new growth, they can get your hair really straight... but all that extra manipulation and heat doesn't seem to be worth in IMHO.

buttaflye03

The weekly rollersets are a great idea, but I would only have them blow out the roots only once you are quite a few weeks post relaxer. That's what I do. Once I'm about 7+ weeks post, that's when I'll ask them to blow the roots. Any other time, I just let them rollerset and then do a doobie. That dryer is HOT. I nor my hair could tolerate that every single week.

Guyaneek

Mars_Reiko said:

Ok, not trying to thread jack but what kind of blow dryer are you using? I would like to do this at home also so I'm just wondering what I can use to get those same results. TIA

Guyaneek

I also used to get the blow outs weekly and my hair suffered severly. I used to only get my roots blown and my hair broke from the roots in most spots. That is when I decided I had to get a short cut (2-3 inches) almost 2 years ago. I also love the results but my hair loves not being burned by the dryer. I say stay away as much as possible. Like some of the ladies said, just get them to roll it and then wrap it and use the blow outs occassionally. I also have a friend right now who decided not to learn from my mistake and she is currently watching her gorgeous, thick APL hair break off in several different spots. She also is addicted to the results of weekly dominican blow outs.

janiebaby

I just went to the salon on Sunday and after I was done I noticed a bald spot in the front of my hairline. I love the results of the blowouts but if they're gonna make me lose hair I won't be getting them anymore.

dlewis

Caramela said:
I have never thought they could be healthy. I understand that even if you're stretching and have a good bit of new growth, they can get your hair really straight... but all that extra manipulation and heat doesn't seem to be worth in IMHO.

ita....................

Junonia

I never let them blow my hair. Those blow dryers leave my scalp irritated and red. I have dry hair and those blow dryers leave my hair looking and feeling like mulch.

Now, I know one women that gets a blowout every week and her hair is very full and healthy. I think it depends on the kind of hair you have.

msdeevee

When I had relaxed hair I went to the dominicans a couple of times and the amount of heat that they use on your hair is ridiculous. I think they get raves for growing hair becaue they use so much heat and tension that I think it just pulls the hair up out your scalp (I know that's impossible) but it doesn't take a genius to figure out the heat is too much . I have a friend also that experienced severe breakage from continually having that heat applied to make her hair bone straight . Use caution, I don't even think a heat protectant is enough to stop the damage after a while especially doing this every week at least cut it down to 2-3 weeks find a protective style for when your hair is not as straight as you want it to be.

macherieamour

i had this problem too. I just got the roots blown out and my hairline broke off. I stopped going to them and started doing my own roller wraps, using less tension and heat.

cancerianjewel

Ditto!! I used to go at LEAST every other week. My hair is fine and all that heat did my hair in!! My hair became very thin and fragile. Mind you, I am going every 1 or two weeks and getting deep conditioned and everything. Hair was silky, smooth and bone straight, but T-H-I-N!!! Happened very gradually too. By the time I realized what was happening, it was too late. It occurred to me that I needed to learn for myself what was or wasn't good for my hair. How could I expect some woman in a salon who does what, 50 to 100 heads a week to tell me what I needed to do. Especially when I often did not even remember her name, so why would/should I entrust her with something so important??!!

I agree with msdeevee, cut down on the salon visits and find that protective style that works for you!!

MiWay

ITA with the other ladies. Once I started going regularly, I noticed breakage in my crown area and my hairline was thinning terribly. Once a month (if that much) is enough for me. However, at the last place I went, the stylist was very gentle. She had the blowdryer on and off my hair before I even felt it on my scalp. My roots didn't feel BONE straight, but nobody could tell by looking at it, and once I wrapped it, the roots got straighter.

tatje

I believe that Dominicans do a great job with hair and they can really help it to grow. Its a simple solution......don't get a blow out. Let them wash and roller set. When they take out the rollers, either have them wrap it or finger comb it. Either way, its still healthy for your hair and still feels soft and silky.

Serious

Thanks so much ladies!!!!!! This feedback helped confirm my fears about the affect this was having on my hair I just didn't know any good options.

I'm taking all of your suggestions and am going to try the following routine for a while
- only rollersets (without the roots blown) the first few weeks after a perm
- then I'll alternate between blowouts and doing my own hair using a flat iron for the roots (I've just been going to the salon so long I didn't even think of the flat iron option but it makes perfect sense) My hair is so thick I used to get perms every four weeks so I have to do something to continue to be able to stretch.

I even got some heat protectant and a ceramic flat iron today after work!! :) Gonna try out my new option tonight. Wish me luck ;) and thanks again!

OneInAMillion

Serious said:
Thanks so much ladies!!!!!! This feedback helped confirm my fears about the affect this was having on my hair I just didn't know any good options.

I'm taking all of your suggestions and am going to try the following routine for a while
- only rollersets (without the roots blown) the first few weeks after a perm
- then I'll alternate between blowouts and doing my own hair using a flat iron for the roots (I've just been going to the salon so long I didn't even think of the flat iron option but it makes perfect sense) My hair is so thick I used to get perms every four weeks so I have to do something to continue to be able to stretch.

I even got some heat protectant and a ceramic flat iron today after work!! :) Gonna try out my new option tonight. Wish me luck ;) and thanks again!

Hey Serious,

You got good advice from the other ladies - better to lay off the weekly blowouts.

I used to get my hair blown out weekly 2 years ago...ALL the way down the shaft :eek: . My hair grew, but not as fast as it does now, and it was also much much thinner.

Last year, I tried getting my roots blown weekly for the 1st half of the year. This was a lot healthier for me. However, during the second half of the year, when I layed off the heat, my growth was much more dramatic.

I'm trying to wean myself of DBO's as well, but they just look so good :perplexed . You'll be ok once in a while if you use a medium-heavy protein beforehand AND use heat protection. Simply getting rollersets for the first few weeks post relaxer has definitely helped tremendously. I'm scared of flat irons though,...one pass and I broke off a chunk of my hair once. :( . Make sure you have a good one.

Mars_Reiko

Guyaneek said:
Ok, not trying to thread jack but what kind of blow dryer are you using? I would like to do this at home also so I'm just wondering what I can use to get those same results. TIA

I just have a simple conair blow dryer. It has the high, low and cool switch. I always use the low. My hair doesn't get bone straight, but it's good enough for me. I go over it with my flat iron as well.Check out my fotki:)

HighlyFavored1

I think dominican blowouts weren't the best idea for me. I guess it's pretty obvious that the heat is wayyyy too much. And if you do decide to continue getting them often, I would definitely make sure they didn'\'t blow dry the whole shaft.

Other than the heat, when I was getting them done, my hair would look so good that I would want to wear it out, instead of in a protective style...not good for my ends. Also, I would avoid moisturizing my hair because I wanted it to move. And since I was getting it washed there, then I didn't really develop my own regimen, so my hair was never getting protein, prepoos, deep conditioning, etc.

I think you can definitely keep your hair healthy while getting them weekly, you'd just have to adapt your regimen so that your hair is still getting everything it needs.

taraglam2

I go to the Dominican Salon on average--about once a month, most of the time once every 2 or 3 months. Whenever I get ready to go to the Dominican Salon I always apply a good conditioner with protein...JOICO, Le Kair Cholesterol, Fantasia Moisturizing Conditioner w/Aloe to my dry hair and concentrate extra on the ends and front hair line and then put it in a bun and then go to the salon. [Pre-shampoo treatment really] You can do this the night before or the day of, or right before you go out the door for your Dominican Salon visit. A few ladies do manage to go every week with much success. I think it depends on your particular Dominican Salon or stylist that you are going to and the methods / products they use. Sometimes I take my own products--just depends on the state of my hair at that time.

Prior to hairboards I went to a "hairdresser" every week for shampoo, blowdry and flat iron / style and my hair broke off and was damaged to the core. Since hairboards I promised myself never to go weekly to another salon no matter what. Once a month salon visits or once every 2 weeks salon visits work fine for me.

InnerSoul

I have never been to dominican at all.. but I do know that when I use a blowdryer with a comb attachment on my hair... I get immediate split ends by my next wash. For me handheld blow dryers with attachments kills my hair cuticles because the heat is so intense. I guess I didn't have any good heat protectants.. but because of the damage from it, I will now only use the hooded dryer where the heat can evenly distribute all over the head and not on the strands. Even though there are heat protectants that are good and many people on this site have found them... I just don't want to take any more chances in damaging my fragile hair and will not use the handheld dryer with attachments anymore.

SleekandBouncy

I have been getting my hair done at Dominican salons with root blowouts for the last 3yrs with a break in between. I've never experienced the breakage or bald spots.
Maybe ask the stylist to turn down the heat, tell her you have a sensitive scalp or skip the heat all together and just have them wrap it. You can always straighten your roots yourself.

Last edited:

envybeauty

I think it depends on the salon you go to. The one I went to for about a year did wonders for my hair.

I ALWAYS got a deep conditioning treatment with EVERY wash,

They ALWAYS applied a leave in conditioner prior to setting,

They ALWAYS rolled the hair tight (without hurting) on the rollers to make the roots straight now matter if I just got perm or was 8 weeks post,

They ALWAYS applied a heat protectant before blowdrying

They blew dry ONLY the roots (and not the entire lenght of my hair) once my roots grew out (never after a relaxer or couple weeks post),

I wrapped my hair when I got home and slept on satin pillow cases.

They got me from SL to APL without me blinking an eye or thinking about it.

Loved them! But not all dominican salons are the same. The one I go to ALWAYS add leave-ins etc. even if you don't ask for it. Another one I tried did it only when you told them you wanted it as the stylists often "forgot" to do it. That same piss poor salon rolls the hair loose on the roller so that you have little option but to get the roots blown out as they come out puffy. Not my favorite place...they know how to treat hair.

Maybe you need to consider going to another salon (on top of the suggestions that others posted)

blkbeauty

Caramela said:

I agree and you are right. This is coming from an former Dominican Salon Lover!!!