Well I am starting over...

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
I went to get my hair pressed today and a DRC28 treatment and the stylist and I discussed my hair for a while. It looks like the no lye relaxers have caused my hair to thin out substantially so I am going to cut it all out... and start over. Sigh-- I am about 1 to 2 inches from bra strap-- my goal. But my hair is just too thin and life less. I am going to go natural now. Just gotta figure out how.

On the good side I am sad, but not completely depressed. Thanks to the advice and help I am getting from all of you ladies I am sure I can get my hair up to snuff in no time.

Luvhair, it takes a lot of courage and determination to do what you're doing. Kudos to you and best wishes on your new journey. There are a lot of naturals here who will help you along if you have questions. And the advantage of what you're doing is you'll be starting your hair journey with brand new hair that hasn't been abused in any way. And how nice to be doing this now AFTER being a member of LHCF for a few months and acquiring all the knowledge at our disposal.
smile.gif

I'm impressed and a little jealous. Your hair is going to be so healthy! You know, I've been struggling with attempts at transistioning this year. But just this week I noticed two women who really motivated me:

The first woman had long, heavy braids. When she turned around I noticed her sides were practically bald!

I saw the 2nd woman yesterday. Though her hair was incredibly straight, smooth and shiny...her edges were bare! Even the back was sparse. I wanted to scream at her to leave the chemicals alone!

The honest truth is that many of don't know how to take care of our hair. And the rest of us are learning. Thankfully, we have sites like this that support and educate us on better hair care. I hope to see more women taking your example and doing what's best versus throwing caution to wind and unwittingly damaging their hair.

Are u sure your hair is as bad as u think? We tend to be our harshest critics. Pls share your regime with us post a picture. That way if u decide to cut your hair at least u left no stone unturned and you'll have absolutely no regret.

We've seen so many pple say disparaging things about their hairand when they share pics and get feedback, they realize thing weren't really as bad as they thot.

Goodluck,

Free2BMe.

Good luck luvhair! Every time I have more than an inch of new growth and I spray it S-curl and play with it I wanna go natural. When I took my braids out in June I had 5 inches of new growth and loved it. You'll have a ball and if all else fails WGO makes my 4b hair super soft. Good luck girlie!

It can be very daunting to think of growing out your hair again from a very short cut. But starting over as a natural can be fun too. You'd be amazed at how fast it grows back! Yes, there is an awkward stage or two, but the sooner you start, the sooner you'll be past it all! I'm kicking myself for not going natural sooner. I might have BS length hair by now like all you ladies. For some of us relaxers just don't work now matter how much we baby our hair. I'm just grateful I sucked it in and made the move when I did. I haven't had to see my hair going down the drain since, only growing and growing! Don't be afraid to start over if that's what you want. Your hair can and will be beautiful if you listen to what it's telling you.
rosebud.gif

AAHHH seee-- thats why I love you ladies. I have never had this much support.

Well I should start by saying that I had pretty healthy hair as a child. My hair was really wavy and soft-- esay to comb. Then my mom decided to relax my hair in junior high-- why I have no idea because she said herself my hair wasn't hard to deal with. So I have had a relaxer for about 10 years. My hair never grew past sholder but I never took care of it.

I started to grow out my hair in 2000 and cut off hair that was fried from hair dye. Well it was going well until last year I started shedding and breaking A LOT!! And i'm not talking a couple hairs-- I would have huge clumps coming out. To add to that my hair started breaking. Thats when I discovered LHCF. But the shedding continued and my hair started thinning out. Especially my edges-- which are now almost bald.

During the summer i went to another stylist for an aphogee treatment and she told me my hair was overprocessed and I should cut off 6 inches. I told you guys about it and I decided not to talk her advice especially because her hair looked a hot mess itself-- so how can I talk her advice. But the problems continued.

So i went to a stylist yesterday and she basically confirmed it. My hair just feels different. Its dry all the time. I knew she knew what she was talking about because she immediately asked me if I used no lye-- which I do-- and she described all the problems I was having to a T without me having to tell her. So I think she is right.

I will probably cut about 5 inches off for now and slowly make the transition. My only fear is style options-- how am I gonna do my hair? I am a broke lazy college student whose gotta go on job interviews soon?

I will try and post a pic of my hair. Thanks for all of the help! It really means a lot to me!

all of that hot combing could lead to the grease hurting your follicles do you think this could be the case? Have you seen a derm to rule out anything internal?

Good luck!! I can't wait to hear your thoughts during your transition. Um, were you already transitioning anyway? I noticed you mentioned getting your hair pressed.

Hi Luvhair
wave.gif
~

I'm sorry to read you're having hair problems.
frown.gif
On the upside, though, you'll get to wear your hair natural.
cool.gif
For what it's worth, although I'm currently relaxed, for most of my life I've worn my hair natural. I have never found that wearing it natural was counted against me in interviews, either here in the Midwest or back in Cali - and I was interviewing with some pretty conservative places.
smile.gif
Dazzle 'em with your ability, girl! They won't notice anything else.

Thanks ladies!!

I was contemplating transitioning for a while but I am not good at styling so I thought about waiting until the summer but I think I am going to start now. I pressed because my new growth was killing me and I didnt want to relax so I pressed it.

I am going to see a dermatologist also and maybe a trichologist if I can get some money together, but I do think the relaxer is the problem. I need to do more research though. Does anyone have any tips?

I think you should keep what you have and transition slowly, with braids or wigs or something. Pleas keep hair moisturized especially where perm and natural meet, so that when you get your hair pressed (I suggest not that often), for a job interview or something, it will look healthy.

sorry to hear abou this setback towards your goals. overprocessing is a (what rhymes with witch). this seems to be the mess that always damages my hair.

on another note, look at the positive side, you will be working with healthier and stronger hair in the coming months. good luck with everything and keep us updated.

girl, itll be okay. its like getting a brand new chance - and brand new head of hair. Think of how excited you'll be to explore new products, new regimes. Hair is a journey and this just another step, not a setback. good luck!

Back