try to treat it
nurse it back to health
protein
conditioning
TIME
no heat

be good to your hair for a few months and see what happens
maybe just a trimmy trim would be necessary
Thanks to you and the ladies here, I am not going to cut. I promise!

Mortons

I would say cowash and bun during the week and do a good DC on the weekend (I would recommend Pantene Breakage Defense Mask). See if that helps with the breakage and softens the hair a little. NEVER let a perm stay that long on your head again.

luvmesumhair

I would say cowash and bun during the week and do a good DC on the weekend (I would recommend Pantene Breakage Defense Mask). See if that helps with the breakage and softens the hair a little. NEVER let a perm stay that long on your head again.
TRUST ME, I LEARNED MY LESSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yep:

deborah11

Don't cut your hair. Really, the relaxer should have not been allowed to stay on the underprocessed hair for longer than 10 minutes, 30 minutes was just too long. When your hair is wet, is it super straight with a slimy feel? Will your hair hold a curl if your roller set it? these are signs of truly overprocessed hair. This happened to me once and I did not cut all my hair off. For the next year or so I was very gentle with my hair, alternated between protein and moisturizing conditoners, wore only protective hairstyles and didn't put anymore chemicals in my hair during that time. In five to six months, I saw a big difference in my hair and it was not the same head of hair. Do not cut your hair off unless it breaks off to the point that it is ridiculous and can't be saved. Try not to comb it too much for the next few months and keep it moisturized. I feel so badly for you but you have pretty hair and trust me your hair looks a lot better than mine did when it was overprocessed and if I didn't cut mine all off at once, I see no need for you to do this. Just baby your hair and gradually cut off the ends. I think that you will be surprised in a few months at the turn-a-round that your hair makes. Good luck and keep us advised as to you hair progress!

QT

NOOOOO…. Don’t cut your hair, you will regret it in the long run. Maybe a good trim and some protective styles will help. Give it until the end of the year and access the issue then. Until then you CAN revive your hair and bring it back to life.

luvmesumhair

Don't cut your hair. Really, the relaxer should have not been allowed to stay on the underprocessed hair for longer than 10 minutes, 30 minutes was just too long. When your hair is wet, is it super straight with a slimy feel? Will your hair hold a curl if your roller set it? these are signs of truly overprocessed hair. This happened to me once and I did not cut all my hair off. For the next year or so I was very gentle with my hair, alternated between protein and moisturizing conditoners, wore only protective hairstyles and didn't put anymore chemicals in my hair during that time. In five to six months, I saw a big difference in my hair and it was not the same head of hair. Do not cut your hair off unless it breaks off to the point that it is ridiculous and can't be saved. Try not to comb it too much for the next few months and keep it moisturized. I feel so badly for you but you have pretty hair and trust me your hair looks a lot better than mine did when it was overprocessed and if I didn't cut mine all off at once, I see no need for you to do this. Just baby your hair and gradually cut off the ends. I think that you will be surprised in a few months at the turn-a-round that your hair makes. Good luck and keep us advised as to you hair progress!
Deborah thank you so much for your advice. No, my hair does not feel slimy when wet. (Is that good or bad???) It feels like I just did a protein treatment actually.:ohwell: I did not do a rollerset since then because I was afraid of too much manipulation and breakage so I do not know if it will hold a curl or not. I will see.

KLomax

Luvsmesumhair,

I agree with the previous posts. Do not cut your hair :nono::nono::nono:. Give it a chance to recover :yep::yep::yep:. You can always trim it very slowly.

Might I also suggest airdrying rollersets. I've done this for the last 2 weeks and my hair feels very moisturized & bouncy. Alter Ego Rebalancing & Energizing Cond. is great as a DC and for rollersets. A curly ponytail can also mask damage until this issue is resolved.(Trust... I know this from experience).

KAT25

So sorry that this has happen to you but since you are getting the braids maybe you can hold off on cutting your hair and co-wash and dc till you get the braid and while you have the braids in your hair you can moisturize and baby your hair and after you take the braids out you can decide on check your hair's condition and then go from there on whether or not you want a cut

TLC1020

Don't cut it,try moisturizing and keeping it in protective styles for a while and make sure to deep condition your hair as well.

Newtogrow

I agree. Balance between protein and moisture. No more chems(long stretch) and keep your hair in cute pinned buns like Traycee wears.

Good luck.

SmartyPants

Ladies, I need your support... **Kinda Long**

Unfortunately I think I am going to have to cut my hair because my last touch up made my hair overprocessed. (my last t/u was 4/26) My hair does not feel the same anymore. It feels really rough and dry. The part that was originally UNDERPROCESSED is REALLY damaged now. (I had my friend try to do a corrective on that part and now it is rough and popping off with the slightest pull) And while she was doing the corrective, I believe the perm stayed on my hair for at least 30 min :wallbash:

I brougth a steamer (only did one treatment with a moisturizing conditioner) and still feels rough. My ends are even frizzy when I airdry. I am so depressed. All this hard work down the drain. I have been keeping it in a ponytail wrapped around in a bun because I do not even want to look or have to deal with it anymore. Yet and still I am torn between cutting it or trying to save it. That is if it can be saved. I have been searching the board to see if anyone had a similar problem like mines and if they were able to save their hair but so far none. All I have seen was that there was nothing else that could be done to save the hair but to cut it off and start over.

I tell you one thing, If I do cut it (which I am thinking about doing this weekend) I will NEVER EVER let my friend or any friend for that matter give me a touch up. I will just go to a beautician for my touch ups but take care of my hair myself until my next touch ups. I do not trust myself to do a touch up because I do not want to have to deal with underprocessed hair and trying to correct it again. I have the knowlege and tools now to keep my hair healthy if I do cut it off and start over thanks to all the ladies here on this board. :yep: I am just a little worried that being that I am forty now, will my hair grow the same and retain the thickness I had achieved during my journey.:look:

Oh I forgot to mention, I am thinking about getting braids (tree baids to be exact. The tree braids in the front and weave in the back) by the end of June because I am going away on VAC. So I think this will be a good time to cut it. What do you think?

I do not know ladies...what should I do???

Damaged hair>>>>>>>>>Damaged ends

I really goofed up my last relaxer (MEMO: NEVER relax when you're tired). I over processed some parts and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay under processed others. I agree that you should stay away from protein right now. What I did was deep condition my hair four days in a row (including two turbie twists steam treatments). I also did an oil rinse AFTER the steam treatment that last day. My hair came halfway back to life. So, I figure with a few more deep conditions (I am in my second day of sleeping with a conditioner on because I am too lazy to rinse it out), my hair should be back to normal.

I would try this before I started chopping.

hairmaster

Try a K-PAK treatment. stay away from braiding right now if hair is weak the pulling of the hair during braiding may cause braking and you will have to cut then.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I know exactly what you're going through. This happened to me last summer, when I tried the Mizani Butter Blends. I was so underprocessed it was ridiculous! My hair was so dry and frizzy, i never wanted to wear it down because it didn't look right. Don't cut it. Give it some time. It took a couple of months before my hair got back right. I made sure to keep my hair moisturized and alternated every week with light proteins like Aphogee 2 Min recon. Roux Porosity Control and ORS were a life saver for me. Just give it some time. I hope everything works out ok.:flowers:

Your post saved me because I was thinking about doing the same thing that luvmesumhair (chopping it off and starting over.) My hair is soooo dry. I'm getting good growth but co-washing, moisturizing, protein, etc. Nothing is working. :wallbash: Maybe I need a relaxer. It's been 10 weeks and I have an inch and some change. Less in a few places

luvmesumhair

:bighug:Thank you ladies so much for your support! I really appreciate it a LOT!!! Now I am being told not to braid my hair and that it will cause more stress. Well what should I do when I go on VAC? I will be swimming and stuff and I want to be able to just up and go with my hair still looking cute too:grin:. What do ya'll suggest then if not braids???