Cottony edges

GettingKinky

Hi Ladies-

I've been transitioning to texlaxed for a little over a year and I have a texture question. I notice that all of my hair is silky except the edges which are cottony. I can think of 3 possible reasons

1- it just grows that way
2- it's damaged from brushing. I wear a bun or ponytail most of the time and I brush my edges (gently) with a soft brush
3- I sleep on my edges I use a satin pillowcase but not a scarf.
4-????

What do you all think? Is there anyway I can get my edges to match the texture of the rest of my hair?

southerncitygirl

i never use a comb or brush to do buns, i use my fingers and leave-in/gel. try this for a while and see what happens. i only bun on wet hair and i tie mine down with a scarf so that my frizzies lay down.

it could be your texture as many of us have 2-3 textures or more on our heads.

SmileyNY

My edges get thicker quickly after a textlax too. I figure it's because that's the shortest hair on my head, so the new growth is more apparent. when I do a wash & go, I don't mind. It blends right in.

However, if I want to do a pony or a bun, I like to use a little ors edge control. I will admit, though, that I can't use this stuff more than 2 days in a row without feeling the need to clean my hair. It builds up and makes my edges itch a little. If it's not a wash day, I just wash my edges in the shower and they dry almost as quickly as my face does.

India*32

Girl, don't talk about those edges... They are "strong willed" and a full. I never had baby hair, due to thick full edges. (Not complaining) I use Luster's S Curl to keep moist, but still managing until hair grows out.

bunnie82

you should be glad that only your edges are cottony.....my whole head is cottony.....that's just my texture....I hate it!

1QTPie

Elder Sim
It's probably your natural new growth. Edges are usually shorter and break from regular manipulation. Just gel them if it bothers you.

GettingKinky

My edges get thicker quickly after a textlax too. I figure it's because that's the shortest hair on my head, so the new growth is more apparent. when I do a wash & go, I don't mind. It blends right in.

However, if I want to do a pony or a bun, I like to use a little ors edge control. I will admit, though, that I can't use this stuff more than 2 days in a row without feeling the need to clean my hair. It builds up and makes my edges itch a little. If it's not a wash day, I just wash my edges in the shower and they dry almost as quickly as my face does.

I have ORS edge control. I never used it because it seems sticky. Do you use it on wet/damp or dry hair?

bunnie82

Aw. Your hair looks beautiful in Siggy (?)

Okay, so how do you manage?

India*32 awww thank you.....Kinky Curly Custard works wonders!:lol:
When my hair is blowdried or flatironed, it feels like cotton candy...:ohwell: That's just my texture....I remember being a kid at a salon and the stylist told me "You have cotton hair!." :perplexed I didn't know what the hell he was talmbout but now I do.....LOL It's just beyond soft and super fly-away-ish....it's ANNOYING!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I have ORS edge control. I never used it because it seems sticky. Do you use it on wet/damp or dry hair?
It only works on dry hair.

And on my cottony edges, I havent found an edge control product that will lay them down more than an hour. The ORS doesnt get past 20 minutes--seriously :rolleyes:! Those babies are stubborn! But hey, at least we got edges to complain about:yep:

GettingKinky

Now I'm wondering if my edges are a different texture due to high porosity. I'm not talking about just the short hairs. Even my normal length hair on the edges is cottony. And after I wash my hair they dry much, much faster than the rest. Maybe I should try Roux PC on them?