"Wet Set" Sans Rollers??

Whimsy

Hey girls,
I was watching what not to wear and the hairdresser dude did a spanish woman with very curly hair in what he called a wet set. What he did was apply products (a leave in condish, a serum, and a holding mousse) and then curled her curly hair around his fingers section by section and then let it air dry. Her curly hair was kinda frizzy naturally, but this made it sleek and smooth and make her curls look a bit looser and more defined. He said it would last 4-5 days if she didn't mess with it.

Has anyone done this type of "wet set" before?
Howd it work out for you?

I'm thinking of trying it one day as an alternative to my wash n go to see if I get the same effect (or similar)

I'd like to hear if anyone has tried this before.

shunemite

I think I know what episode you're talking about. I watch the show everyday. I think that can work if the natural curl pattern of your hair is an "S" shape. Your hair will dry in it's natural form. Lisa on Real housewives of Atlanta does the same thing. It doesn't work for me coz my 4b hair actually has a z pattern.

Nonie

Why did this remind me of my last salon experience? :rofl: I think Shunemite is right (and my stylist could've used your advice and not wasted both my time and hers :lol: ).

What you OP are describing sounds like how they do finger coils. I believe they work well on type 3 hair and I believe they can look good on type 4 hair if done in small sections. The idea (I'm guessing) is to try to create coils that closely resemble the hair's own coil size...otherwise you will not get the results I was promised. (Heck even I didn't believe it when I was told coz the whole thing didn't make sense to me. :look: Basically I was told that in time the coils would drop and become fluffy and bouncy curls. Only I think my stylist is used to dealing with other textures and seeing that happen with other textures. Knowing my hair, her theory seemed so far-fetched but who was I to argue? She's a pro; in fact I was told she is da best. :perplexed: )

This is how the do turned out :lachen:

I've seen finger coils look better on type 4 hair, but I did not like the look or the fact that I paid $80 for it--and wound up having lost over 5 inches of hair to get the look :wallbash:

I definitely do better styles on myself by my damn self, even though I do say so myself. :rolleyes:

Whimsy

I think I know what episode you're talking about. I watch the show everyday. I think that can work if the natural curl pattern of your hair is an "S" shape. Your hair will dry in it's natural form. Lisa on Real housewives of Atlanta does the same thing. It doesn't work for me coz my 4b hair actually has a z pattern.

My hair doesn't have a shape, but I think I may try it. My hair is no where near as loose a curl as Lisa (or the lady on that episode) but it's not z either so maybe it'll look ok?....

Why did this remind me of my last salon experience? :rofl: I think Shunemite is right (and my stylist could've used your advice and not wasted both my time and hers :lol: ).

What you OP are describing sounds like how they do finger coils. I believe they work well on type 3 hair and I believe they can look good on type 4 hair if done in small sections. The idea (I'm guessing) is to try to create coils that closely resemble the hair's own coil size...otherwise you will not get the results I was promised. (Heck even I didn't believe it when I was told coz the whole thing didn't make sense to me. :look: Basically I was told that in time the coils would drop and become fluffy and bouncy curls. Only I think my stylist is used to dealing with other textures and seeing that happen with other textures. Knowing my hair, her theory seemed so far-fetched but who was I to argue? She's a pro; in fact I was told she is da best. :perplexed: )

This is how the do turned out :lachen:

I've seen finger coils look better on type 4 hair, but I did not like the look or the fact that I paid $80 for it--and wound up having lost over 5 inches of hair to get the look :wallbash:

I definitely do better styles on myself by my damn self, even though I do say so myself. :rolleyes:

I'm mad she didn't know what the hell she was doing. I think the coilies look cute on you, but 80 bucks?!?!?! humph! and losing inches? how'd that happen :( sorry girl.

Kinda.like.the.curly.primer.method.at
http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

Sorry.guys...my.space.bar.is.on.the.fritz

Thanks, I'll check it out. (PS - re: spacebar...have you flipped your keyboard over and banged on it?....lol it worked for my spacebar on my last keyboard. (doesnt work on laptops tho haha)

Nonie

I'm mad she didn't know what the hell she was doing. I think the coilies look cute on you, but 80 bucks?!?!?! humph! and losing inches? how'd that happen :( sorry girl.

At the bold :rolleyes: Girl, stop lying. I know ugly when I see ugly and that's it right there. People that love me and that I'd trust with my life (hubby, mom, dad, sis, BFF...) all wondered WTH we'd both been smoking for me to let anyone do that to me...and for anyone to do that to anyone. Even when she finished my hair, I was like "That's it?????" I really thought this was an in-between stage. :nono: NEVER AGAIN!

How did I lose inches? Went to her coz I had grown my hair in braids to this length:

... and was clueless on styling it besides afro puff and twists. I was hoping to learn other tricks like shingling and had actually made an appointment for that. Mikko wasn't answering phones till Wed so in my impatience I called her and we talked at length. I'd been told she loves to help people grow their hair long and doesn't believe in cutting. Hence the reason I trusted her when she said she'd give me a TRIM. I should've known my hair scared her when she tried to convince me to texturize...or color (both methods I've heard can loosen a curl). After a bit of back and forth, she finally stopped arguing...and probably thought, "I'ma show you then!" :lol:

I didn't sit in front of a mirror or witness what she was doing so when she blow-dried my hair and "trimmed" I had no idea how much she took off. I still didn't know it until after the 3rd day when my hair started to feel like it'd lock instead of dropping into the fluffiness she promised, and I untwirled it to see the horror:

Last edited:

Whimsy

At the bold :rolleyes: Girl, stop lying. I know ugly when I see ugly and that's it right there. People that love me and that I'd trust with my life (hubby, mom, dad, sis, BFF...) all wondered WTH we'd both been smoking for me to let anyone do that to me...and for anyone to do that to anyone. Even when she finished my hair, I was like "That's it?????" I really thought this was an in-between stage. :nono: NEVER AGAIN!

How did I lose inches? Went to her coz I had grown my hair in braids to this length:

... and was clueless on styling it besides afro puff and twists. I was hoping to learn other tricks like shingling and had actually made an appointment for that. Mikko wasn't answering phones till Wed so in my impatience I called her and we talked at length. I'd been told she loves to help people grow their hair long and doesn't believe in cutting. Hence the reason I trusted her when she said she'd give me a TRIM. I should've known my hair scared her when she tried to convince me to texturize...or color (both methods I've heard can loosen a curl). After a bit of back and forth, she finally stopped arguing...and probably thought, "I'ma show you then!" :lol:

I didn't sit in front of a mirror or witness what she was doing so when she blow-dried my hair and "trimmed" I had no idea how much she took off. I still didn't know it until after the 3rd day when my hair started to feel like it'd lock instead of dropping into the fluffiness she promised, and I untwirled it to see the horror:

I'm serious! I wouldn't have said it. It doesn't look like it's worth anywhere near $80 but it looks coily n cute to me.
Now your story has me MAD!!! That witch dooped you! She's evil and I'm sorry you jacked you for your hair :(

Nonie

I'm serious! I wouldn't have said it. It doesn't look like it's worth anywhere near $80 but it looks coily n cute to me.
Now your story has me MAD!!! That witch dooped you! She's evil and I'm sorry you jacked you for your hair :(

Maybe it's a matter of taste coz I have one friend (only one out of all my friends) that actually called the do cute too. Said it was fluffy or had fluff :huh: :giggle: . I had to actually break down all the things I found wrong with the do for her to burst out laughing and agree that it probably wasn't THAT great--or worth $80.

I think I might've been happier with the style if it had had direction and order like this example: http://www.ehow.com/how_5235582_style-afrotextured-hair-finger-coilstwists.html
I don't like hair that looks like they don't make combs where you come from. My sister took the words out of my mouth when she said that my hair looked like poop and like it smelled in that do. Hubby didn't speak to me coz he couldn't believe I'd do that to my hair--he hated that I cut it too. I didn't realize how ugly it looked till I got another mirror and just bawled my eyes out. I couldn't believe I've been walking around looking so bad and felt so sorry that those that love me had to be seen with me looking like I darn lost my dayum mind. :nono:

Whimsy

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa

oh
my
g
o
d
NONIE!!!!!!

hahhahahahahaahahhahaahhahahaahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

I can't

the breakdown.

i
just
cant

sheba1

Nonie.what.she.did.to.your.hair.length.has.me.ready.to.go.to.her.house.:nono:

She.should.catch.a.beat.down.for.that."trim".
:hardslap:

Last edited:

Irresistible

Maybe it's a matter of taste coz I have one friend (only one out of all my friends) that actually called the do cute too. Said it was fluffy or had fluff :huh: :giggle: . I had to actually break down all the things I found wrong with the do for her to burst out laughing and agree that it probably wasn't THAT great--or worth $80.

I think I might've been happier with the style if it had had direction and order like this example: http://www.ehow.com/how_5235582_style-afrotextured-hair-finger-coilstwists.html
I don't like hair that looks like they don't make combs where you come from. My sister took the words out of my mouth when she said that my hair looked like poop and like it smelled in that do. Hubby didn't speak to me coz he couldn't believe I'd do that to my hair--he hated that I cut it too. I didn't realize how ugly it looked till I got another mirror and just bawled my eyes out. I couldn't believe I've been walking around looking so bad and felt so sorry that those that love me had to be seen with me looking like I darn lost my dayum mind. :nono:
Nonie your graphic is so funny:lachen:

leave it to you to make major laughs out of a bad situation

I'm glad your a DIY'er now:yep:

I know you hated it , but truly girl it really wasnt that bad:lachen: I'm not lying either, so dont say I am haha

but you do crack me up man

what were you smokin'? haha , priceless!

Nonie

Nonie your graphic is so funny:lachen:

leave it to you to make major laughs out of a bad situation

I'm glad your a DIY'er now:yep:

I know you hated it , but truly girl it really wasnt that bad:lachen: I'm not lying either, so dont say I am haha

but you do crack me up man

what were you smokin'? haha , priceless!

Girl, I wasn't smokin' nuffin, although you'd wonder coz I sat down for 2 hours to get that. :dork: The dumb thing is I was already a DIYer. From 2001 up to that fateful Feb 2007 day, I had been doing my hair myself and hadn't let anyone else touch my hair. I went there coz I thought I could learn shingling hands on. :nono: Not sure how we went from the plan of the day to that. Guess you live and learn.

Irresistible

Girl, I wasn't smokin' nuffin, although you'd wonder coz I sat down for 2 hours to get that. :dork: The dumb thing is I was already a DIYer. From 2001 up to that fateful Feb 2007 day, I had been doing my hair myself and hadn't let anyone else touch my hair. I went there coz I thought I could learn shingling hands on. :nono: Not sure how we went from the plan of the day to that. Guess you live and learn.
haha your the one that said others wondered what you were smokin'

girl yeah I guess we all have our live and learn moments and stray WAY away from what we know

Saltcoughcoughwhy?

LOL

manter26

Finger coils are the only way I can define my 4A hair. The 4B patch I have in the front doesn't do anything if coiled so it looks weird. Furthermore the hair on my left side is a loose 4A or maybe a 3C. I like the method b/c it cuts down on frizz, but it sometimes looks odd due to the different hair types.

The style can last about a week. After a day or so I use my fingers to separate the coils and get a different look.

Nonie... you make me think twice about going to a salon for anything other than a blowout. I can't believe someone would just hack your hair off like that.

Whimsy

I'm a firm believer that we're all our own best stylist. cuz no one loves our hair/scalp like we do.
You're right Nonie, you live you learn. Hey did you blast her on the salon forum at least so people know NOT to go to that butcher?