Wet sets...not 4 me! My poor hair!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am on the roller set challenge and my hair is doing well. Except for wet setting, my hair just does not come out right when I do it. I am not happy when It takes 2 hrs to dry under my soft bonnet and my curls end up looking busted.:ohwell: Can someone give me some advice on how to get smooth sets? I am feeling bad because I have to fix my damaged roller set. I do feel better with my dry sets, but I lack the tight curls I like. HELP!

I am on the roller set challenge and my hair is doing well. Except for wet setting, my hair just does not come out right when I do it. I am not happy when It takes 2 hrs to dry under my soft bonnet and my curls end up looking busted.:ohwell: Can someone give me some advice on how to get smooth sets? I am feeling bad because I have to fix my damaged roller set. I do feel better with my dry sets, but I lack the tight curls I like. HELP!

Are you trying to do a hard set (one that you dont comb *w/comb* out) or soft set?

What products are you using on your hair to set your curls?

Last edited:
Woah, 2 hours to dry? I wonder why it takes that long? My hair dosen't even take that long. What products are you using to set with? It sounds like you might be using too much of something.

It would help if you tell us step by step what you're already doing so we can see where you might be going wrong.

My first guess is that your hair isn't wet enough when you're putting on the rollers and therefore isn't smooth going on and not smooth coming off.

I will tell U step by step. When I dry my hair, it is on low because high heat and my hair don't meld well. I use setting lotion and water for my sets. I think my roller placement may be wrong. my sides come out good, but my crown and nape just are not right. That is why my sets come out busted. I am trying to find a regimen on how to keep my hair healthy. Please help me figure out how to place the rollers in my crown and nape.

I will tell U step by step. When I dry my hair, it is on low because high heat and my hair don't meld well. I use setting lotion and water for my sets. I think my roller placement may be wrong. my sides come out good, but my crown and nape just are not right. That is why my sets come out busted. I am trying to find a regimen on how to keep my hair healthy. Please help me figure out how to place the rollers in my crown and nape.[/quote]

If your not doing so already, comb the hair in the opposite direction you want to roll. For example, if you want to roll down in the nape, comb the hair at an angle up towards the ceiling. If your rolling down, in the crown, comb the hair forward towards the forehead.

HTH!

I will tell U step by step. When I dry my hair, it is on low because high heat and my hair don't meld well. I use setting lotion and water for my sets. I think my roller placement may be wrong. my sides come out good, but my crown and nape just are not right. That is why my sets come out busted. I am trying to find a regimen on how to keep my hair healthy. Please help me figure out how to place the rollers in my crown and nape.[/quote]

If your not doing so already, comb the hair in the opposite direction you want to roll. For example, if you want to roll down in the nape, comb the hair at an angle up towards the ceiling. If your rolling down, in the crown, comb the hair forward towards the forehead.
That's why I looked busted, I was rolling it in the same direction!:lachen:Thanks for the advice! I don't saran wrap because I want my sets to stay curly. If it is not rubbing on anything, it can be a protective style.

To cut down on drying time - order the Pibbs deal that's going on now. You won't be sorry. I know the days of when it takes over 2 hours to dry my hair. No more, I got the Pibbs 514 which is the best investment I've ever made for my hair.

You can also try to up the heat a little. Going from low to medium won't hurt. Plus, those bonnet dryers do not get as hot as hooded dryers.

Woah, 2 hours to dry? I wonder why it takes that long? My hair dosen't even take that long. What products are you using to set with? It sounds like you might be using too much of something.

I would agree with this. You might need to switch products and maybe put less hair on each roller. It shouldn't take 2 hours especially with your length.

I use low heat. That is why it takes a long time for my hair to dry. I am researching a replacement dryer now. My hair is short, but it is very thick. :ohwell: I have been unsuccessful at air drying because I was placing my rollers in wrong.

You can order macherieamour's dvd from her website. Its at www.healthytextures.com. I highly recommend it- she really shows you how to do a good rollerset and what instruments to use. I also like the info she has on her site too. Shes Niko's cousin.
I've given up on roller setting cause I'm a spaz and I get hand cramps from trying to keep proper tension on my hair. But you seem to have gotten that down and her customer service is great!

That's why I looked busted, I was rolling it in the same direction!:lachen:Thanks for the advice! I don't saran wrap because I want my sets to stay curly. If it is not rubbing on anything, it can be a protective style.

Yw! I did a little fact finding w/my folks to day. Based on convo and what I'm infer from your post, I think you want to do an 'on-base' roller set. Hope this site w/help you out...

http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/lessons/cosmetology/roller_place/roller_place.pps

*on base, 1/2 base, off base*

HTHs!

It appears from your picture that your parts may be too big. Cut the amount of hair you putting in each roller in half. I notice that you are using the pink clamps that come with your rollers. Trash those and use duck clips. This will definitely decrease your drying time. Next put your dryer setting on medium. Medium heat will not damage your hair and it helps to set the hair straight instead of frizzy. Rub a little castor oil though the ends of you hair before you set. Good luck.

Thanks, guys! I will check out the DVD info and the clamps. I don't think my dryer has a medium setting. I think I am putting too much hair in one section. I have to try to cut it down. I'm going to get this down pat because I am very close at getting my sets the way I like it. I'm so close to getting a salon styled roller set if I can get my crown right.:rolleyes::blush:

Back