What Am I Doin Wrong??..Assistance Pleeeeze!

donledo

Hi Ladies. I started my HHJ in April of 2011. Since then, my hair has really thickened nicely but hasn't gotten as long as I'd like. I have a simple regi tht works well for me (I think). I wash and DC weekly. Moisturize and seal daily with SCurl and a mixture of essential oils and use protein when necessary. I take a multivitamin, iron, garlic, and cod liver oil daily. I relax about every 3-4 months (last relaxer end of Dec) and I rarely use heat. The problem I'm having lately is what appears to be excessive shedding (bulb attached). I can pull my hair back as if I'm ponytailing and I pull out about what appears to be ALOT of hair! Freaks me out!!! This started about 2 weeks ago after using a new keratin shampoo I got from Sally's. I have been phony ponying since day one of my hhj with a remy track, ouchless elastic band, and hair pins..old school right? I ponytail weekly for less manipulation, wrap my hair at night, and maintain it daily. Could this be the culprit? My ultimate goal is bsl. Im currently past NL in the back and NL on the sides. Also, how can I increase length and not just volume/thickness? I appreciate any feedback!! I'm super inspired by all of you!

virtuenow

Since you've got bulbs, it sounds internal. In that case, I can't answer w/certainty. It could be that some of those pills are having a negative effect. I know too much iron is not good. You are taking that on top of a multi-vitamin, hmm. Also, your level of stress factors in (getting enough sleep, exercise, etc help reduce)

MystiqueBabe

Low manipulation= more shedding. I bun all week and there are quite a few shed hairs but I am retaining length. When was the last time you had a trim? Do you pay special attention to your ends? I think you should ditch the shampoo if you noticed increased shedding because of it. Keratin is a protein, does your hair feel hard or anything? Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Are you using that Miracle 7 Keratin shampoo?

LexaKing

MystiqueBabe said:
Low manipulation= more shedding. I bun all week and there are quite a few shed hairs but I am retaining length. When was the last time you had a trim? Do you pay special attention to your ends? I think you should ditch the shampoo if you noticed increased shedding because of it. Keratin is a protein, does your hair feel hard or anything? Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Are you using that Miracle 7 Keratin shampoo?

I agree with MystiqueBabe. I would ditch the shampoo because it may be what's causing the problem. Also my hair sheds when I need a trim as well. But try to relax as well because stress will also cause your hair to shed. You might have too much protein, focus on just moisture for a while. Might also help to clarify.

kinkycurlygurl

Maybe you could try alternating the pony with a softer style that doesn't put stress on the hair from traction. You might just be pulling the hair out with the constant pony tailing.

Hi Ladies. I started my HHJ in April of 2011. Since then, my hair has really thickened nicely but hasn't gotten as long as I'd like. I have a simple regi tht works well for me (I think). I wash and DC weekly. Moisturize and seal daily with SCurl and a mixture of essential oils and use protein when necessary. I take a multivitamin, iron, garlic, and cod liver oil daily. I relax about every 3-4 months (last relaxer end of Dec) and I rarely use heat. The problem I'm having lately is what appears to be excessive shedding (bulb attached). I can pull my hair back as if I'm ponytailing and I pull out about what appears to be ALOT of hair! Freaks me out!!! This started about 2 weeks ago after using a new keratin shampoo I got from Sally's. I have been phony ponying since day one of my hhj with a remy track, ouchless elastic band, and hair pins..old school right? I ponytail weekly for less manipulation, wrap my hair at night, and maintain it daily. Could this be the culprit? My ultimate goal is bsl. Im currently past NL in the back and NL on the sides. Also, how can I increase length and not just volume/thickness? I appreciate any feedback!! I'm super inspired by all of you!

donledo

Thanks ladies! I have ditched the shampoo and I'm focusing in moisture for now. I also think a trim may be in order and may a style change since the traction if my pony may also be the issue. Low manipulation=more shedding makes perfect sense especially when I have such thick hair. So you guys think making those changes will allow me to see more length and not just volume?

lamaria211

maybe ur taking thr wrong supplements, are u drinkiing plenty of water? try natural products no sulfates and parabens. hth

Bnster

OP you will see length if you are retaining your hair growth. So don't worry your length will come. How much trims did you have since you started your journey? Be blessed. You are getting thickness yippee and length is right around the corner.

If you are less combing your hair during the week, means you will see more shed hair later as well. Make the changes and time with the care you are doing you will get your length. Don't be discourage. HHG!