What are some common bible/religious misinterpretations you have heard?

Honeyhips

Lovely
weaveitup said:
it says God rested on the seventh day(genesis) and that day is the sabbath. so the 7th day is saturday. the very first post in this thread has a link for this explaining how most christians no longer follow the sabbath and celebrate the Lords Day, which is sunday
Oh ok. I missed that link. I'll check it out. I thought maybe people had the days mixed up b/c their calendar system was different from ours.

good2uuuu

Another biggie. When you die you go to heaven. This is not biblical teaching. This ideaology has its roots in ancient Babylon. The Bible clearly states: Psalm 115:17 'The dead praise not the Lord, neither any that go down is silence.'

Ecclesiasties 9:5,6: 'For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6- Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion forever in anything that is done under the sun.'

1 Thessalonians 4:13-17: 'But I would not have you to be ignorant, bretheren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14- For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him. 15- For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16- For the Lord Himself shall decend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17- Then we which are alive and reamin shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air:and so shall we ever be with the Lord.'

All from the KJV

good2uuuu

Poohbear said:
Traditionally, it was Saturday for Jews. But how do you really know whether it's Sunday OR Saturday??? Plus, days of the week are man-made anyway. I just think the Sabbath day is just A DAY of worship and rest, which could be designated on ANY day of the week. JMO.
For those who know about the Sabbath Day, please point out the scripture to me that says the Sabbath Day is on Saturday or Sunday. ;)

Genesis 2: 2,3: ' And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made. 3- And God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made.'

In refernce to the Isrealites collecting manna- Ex. 16:26-30 'Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the Sabbath, in it there shall be none. 27- and it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none. 28-And the Lord said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep My commandments and my laws? 29-See, for that the Lord hath given you the Sabbath, thereore He giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. 30- So the people rested on the seventh day.'

Ex 20:8-11: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9-Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: 10- But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord they God: in it thou shalt not do any work, though nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:11- For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.'

Hebrews 4:4-10: 'For He spake in a certian place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all His works. 5- And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6- Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not because of unbelief: 7- Again, He limiteth a certain day, saying to David, Today, after so long a time; as it is said, Today if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts. 8- For if Jesus had given them rest, then would He not afterwrd have spoken of a nother day. 9- There remineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10- For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His.'

Matthew 5:17-19: Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18- For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or tittle shall in no wise pass from the law till all be fulfilled. 19- Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great int he kingdom of heaven.'

All from KJV

See, we have to remember historical facts in regard to the Sabbath question. In 313 AD, Emperor Constatine, in order to gain more political power and to please both christians and pagans(who worshipped the sun) converted to 'christianity' and changed the day of worship to Sunday, the first day of the week from Saturday, the seventh day. A major self serving compromise that was fully embraced by the Roman church and is still embraced by most christian denominations.

Speaking on things that the childern of Isreal were doing that were abominations to the Lord, Ezekiel 8:16 says 'And he brought me into the inner court of the Lord's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the alter, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.' KJV

Even in death, Christ kept the Sabbath. Mark 15:42,43: And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is , the day before the Sabbath,43-Joseph of Arimathea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went boldly in to Pilate, and craved the body of Christ.'

Mark 16:1,2 'And when the Sabbth was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Solome had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint Him. 2- And very early in the morning on the first day of the week, they came to the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. Verse 6-...'Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: He is risen; He is not here: behold the place where they laid Him.' KJV.

You should research Constatine, the Roman church, and this historical event. Very interesting and frightening. It's all about man putting himself above God and His Word.

Honeyhips

Lovely
good2uuuu said:
Another biggie. When you die you go to heaven. This is not biblical teaching. This ideaology has its roots in ancient Babylon. The Bible clearly states: Psalm 115:17 'The dead praise not the Lord, neither any that go down is silence.'

Ecclesiasties 9:5,6: 'For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6- Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion forever in anything that is done under the sun.'

1 Thessalonians 4:13-17: 'But I would not have you to be ignorant, bretheren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14- For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him. 15- For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16- For the Lord Himself shall decend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17- Then we which are alive and reamin shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air:and so shall we ever be with the Lord.'

All from the KJV
I thought Heaven was a temporary resting place, then we go back to Earth???
Also do those scriptures say the 7th day is Saturday or do they just talk about the Sabbath day? Yes I skimmed them. :look:

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
Jewell said:
The Bible does not speak of Wednesday, or Thursday or Friday (individual day s of the week). So, it cannot be found in the Bible as stating the Sabbath is on Saturday or Sunday, and it is irrelavant whether it was traditionally on Saturday for Jews. The Sabbath is significant with Seventh Day Adventists also. Why do they call them Seventh Day Adventists? Because Saturday is the seventh day of the week, and they worship on Saturday, not Sunday. Deuteronomy 5:14: "But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord ..." So, we can infer that Saturday is the Sabbath. Sunday is the FIRST DAY of the week. I agree that the Sabbath can be ANY day of the week for your personal preference, but the Bible is specific. If so, the Bible would not speak of the SEVENTH DAY specifically if the Lord meant for the Sabbath to be on Monday, for example. Just thought I would clarify. :D

great post!

im a SDA and people seriously think im crazy for going to church on saturday...o well!

good2uuuu said:

All from the KJV

wow! are you a SDA to? thats one of the big teachings in our church.

Last edited:

AngelicRose07

good2uuuu said:

All from the KJV

wow! are you a SDA to? thats one of the big teachings in our church.

AngelicRose07

along with that, i belive the theory of hell is wrong too. im not sure where it comes from. but if you read Malachi 4:1-3 it says that the sinners wont burn eternally, but rather that they will burn up and turn to ashes.

For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Mal 4:1For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
Mal 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
Mal 4:3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do [this], saith the LORD of hosts.

Last edited:

eboniwoman

lil bunny
Someone at work told me that Christ had a wife...and I think he was reffering to us being his bride. I know I am pretty vague...just sleepy though...lol

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
weaveitup said:
along with that, i belive the theory of hell is wrong too. im not sure where it comes from. but if you read Malachi 4:1-3 it says that the sinners wont burn eternally, but rather that they will burn up and turn to ashes.

For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Mal 4:1For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
Mal 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
Mal 4:3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do [this], saith the LORD of hosts.

thank you for pointing this scripture out. i just heard a sermon where the preacher said you will burn eternally and not turn into ashes. Malachi clearly indicates that they will burn up and be ashes. :)

Poohbear

good2uuuu said:
Genesis 2: 2,3: ' And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made. 3- And God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made.'

In refernce to the Isrealites collecting manna- Ex. 16:26-30 'Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the Sabbath, in it there shall be none. 27- and it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none. 28-And the Lord said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep My commandments and my laws? 29-See, for that the Lord hath given you the Sabbath, thereore He giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. 30- So the people rested on the seventh day.'

Ex 20:8-11: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9-Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: 10- But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord they God: in it thou shalt not do any work, though nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:11- For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.'

Hebrews 4:4-10: 'For He spake in a certian place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all His works. 5- And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6- Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not because of unbelief: 7- Again, He limiteth a certain day, saying to David, Today, after so long a time; as it is said, Today if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts. 8- For if Jesus had given them rest, then would He not afterwrd have spoken of a nother day. 9- There remineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10- For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His.'

Matthew 5:17-19: Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18- For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or tittle shall in no wise pass from the law till all be fulfilled. 19- Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great int he kingdom of heaven.'

All from KJV

See, we have to remember historical facts in regard to the Sabbath question. In 313 AD, Emperor Constatine, in order to gain more political power and to please both christians and pagans(who worshipped the sun) converted to 'christianity' and changed the day of worship to Sunday, the first day of the week from Saturday, the seventh day. A major self serving compromise that was fully embraced by the Roman church and is still embraced by most christian denominations.

Speaking on things that the childern of Isreal were doing that were abominations to the Lord, Ezekiel 8:16 says 'And he brought me into the inner court of the Lord's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the alter, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.' KJV

Even in death, Christ kept the Sabbath. Mark 15:42,43: And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is , the day before the Sabbath,43-Joseph of Arimathea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went boldly in to Pilate, and craved the body of Christ.'

Mark 16:1,2 'And when the Sabbth was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Solome had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint Him. 2- And very early in the morning on the first day of the week, they came to the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. Verse 6-...'Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: He is risen; He is not here: behold the place where they laid Him.' KJV.

You should research Constatine, the Roman church, and this historical event. Very interesting and frightening. It's all about man putting himself above God and His Word.
good post! thanks for the break down! :up:

TrustMeLove

I don't believe anyone is crazy for worshiping on saturday, wednesday (night service), or sunday. And I don't consider this an abomination.

What I do believe is crazy and an abomination, is when others try to push their ideals on other people. Or say well we are the only church following the doctrines of the bible so the rest of the people are going to hell. WE HAVE A SECT ON MY CAMPUS PUSHING THIS DOWN EVERYONES THROAT. It grrss me, but I keep it movin'. Let the Lord reveal himself, to his sheep, not Jennifer from Witchita..

-Trust.

Last edited:

AngelicRose07

Poohbear said:
thank you for pointing this scripture out. i just heard a sermon where the preacher said you will burn eternally and not turn into ashes. Malachi clearly indicates that they will burn up and be ashes. :)

well, i hope you point this out to him and if you do..let me know what he says!

sbg4evr

Jewell said:
I don't know why, but many people think the Sabbath is on Sunday, when its on Saturday. The day of rest is Saturday...Sunday is the first day of the week. :ohwell:

Romans 14:1-12, states that we have the freedom to choose whichever day we want to worship God. No one should judge another if that person chooses to worship on Saturday or anyone on Tuesday.

Colossians 2:16-17 is similar to Romans.

AngelicRose07

we arent judging..just saying.

you can worship God whenever you please, we are just saying that that day is not the sabbath if it is not saturday

Poohbear

Let's just worship God and give Him the praise and glory EVERYDAY for heaven's sake!!! :grin: :clap: :yay: :woot:

The Bible also gives us instruction on Christian living and encourages us to live holy... why not do it EVERYDAY, not just on the Sabbath Day - whether it's on a Saturday or not! :yep:

sbg4evr

weaveitup said:
we arent judging..just saying.

you can worship God whenever you please, we are just saying that that day is not the sabbath if it is not saturday

I never said anyone was judging. I just pointed out the passages from the NT that states Sabbath can be any day of the week that a person chooses. I was just backing up what up said.

AngelicRose07

sbg4evr said:
I never said anyone was judging. I just pointed out the passages from the NT that states Sabbath can be any day of the week that a person chooses. I was just backing up what up said.

Ro 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Ro 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
Ro 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

when i read that chapter i didnt see it stating that the sabbath day was anyday, but that one may worship anyday. which is true, you can worship God 24/7 if you please, but the sabbath is a holy day set aside that is just dedicated to God.

honeyhips: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13287b.htm

Last edited:

MSee

sbg4evr said:
Romans 14:1-12, states that we have the freedom to choose whichever day we want to worship God. No one should judge another if that person chooses to worship on Saturday or anyone on Tuesday.

Colossians 2:16-17 is similar to Romans.

When I read back about the sabbath in the old testament I see that what was important was that at the end of 6 days labour the seventh was a day rest dedicated to God, coupled with the above scriptures seems to me if I work Tuesday to Sunday then Monday being the seventh day for me must be my sabbath. Besides when learning French we always started the days of the week with Monday so should the French be the only ones with Sunday sabbath :ohwell: or are they (the french) just totally wrong?

This issue has always been something the enemy uses to separte us but there is one day that is undebatable and its the one referred to in Hebrews 9: 27 And it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this is the judgement. Lets all be ready

DelightfulFlame

weaveitup said:

So you think this passage is literal? Do you think Jesus is a vine too?

I don't know about you, but I am not a calf...LOL. Although I have been called a cow before.

Vintagecoilylocks

Reference Sabbath vs Sunday christian worship.

The traditional Sabbath was a day of rest. They also gathered at the temple for prayers and preaching. The new Christians however had celabrated the resurrection with Christ on the first day of the week. In Act20:7 there is mention of them comng together for the "breaking of bread" on the first day. Though the christian Jews still celabrated the Sabbath the also came together on the first day for the communion. One reason was they were not aloud to celabrate the communion of Christ in the temple. For Christians Jesus now is the fullfilment of all thing before. He said I have not come to change the law but to fulfil it. Since non- jewish Christtians had no tradition of the Sabbath they did continue to come together on the first day to celabrate. It was not indicated in any historical biblical writings that the Sabbath was done away with. Constantine did declare worship day for Christians in the roman empire as Sunday but by then it had already been the way of christians to do so. The communion, preaching, worship and praise of our Lord was already beng done on the first day. There is a reference in Revalations as to John being on the "Lords Day" in the spirit when he had the revelation. The church has taught me this is the same as the day reffered to in Act 20:7 and ICor16:2. That it is the same as the day of his resurection. The first day of the week.

Reference the Hair. Revelations 1:14 that refers to Jesus hair being white like wool is the reference to Daniel 7:9 when it states the Ancient one (God) as having hair like virgin wool. So that is a honest conclusion to think his hair was like wool and the color of "white " wool.
My experience is this. I own persian lambs which are the same as the lambs of the middle eastern kind. Their wool is as such. when babies it is wavy with large curls forming as they get older. Then it changes early to a straighter hair. It is coarse and it is a cream color "white" or multicolors with some being black or solid blacks and greys. The other sheep of the region had a tighter crimp very course to medium and was a deep cream with reddish hue to it. So the Lords hair could have been any thing from a deep off white too blonde slightly wavy to straight or a fine crimp. In other words 1a-4b.

Reference judging the person and not sticking to the act. If we remember we are bound to forgive the person lest we be forgiven then it may help to not be condeming but in desire of their repentence. Also if we do not forgive someone and drive them away from the Lord we shall pay for our sin of unforgiveness.

Realizing this is what helped me to quickly get over the condeming people routine and forgive and pray for them.

Vintagecoilylocks

There should be no strife as to when someone worships the Lord. We should flee from strife. It is recorded however, that Christians themselves choose Sunday which was called Sun after the day called Saturn because it was the day of the resurection. This is documented in an apology written in 150-160A.D. Well before Constintine. II was written a defense to Christians during persecution. It can be correctly dated because it was addressed to a particular emperor and his son. Historical records can confirm the date of his rule. It is a lengthy document but it has a chapter which discribed Christian worship. It clearly shows that the followers of Christ had choose to worship on the day they called the "Lords Day" and it was Sunday and why it was so. It is the first Apology of Justin.

The other document known as the "Teachings of the Apostles" roughly dated pre Book I Thesseloians,(pre 50 A.D.) also states it was the apostles who established the first day of the week as the day of service for the followers of Christ.
It is also known as "The Didache"

MSee

Vintagecoilylocks said:
There should be no strife as to when someone worships the Lord. We should flee from strife. It is recorded however, that Christians themselves choose Sunday which was called Sun after the day called Saturn because it was the day of the resurection. This is documented in an apology written in 150-160A.D. Well before Constintine. II was written a defense to Christians during persecution. It can be correctly dated because it was addressed to a particular emperor and his son. Historical records can confirm the date of his rule. It is a lengthy document but it has a chapter which discribed Christian worship. It clearly shows that the followers of Christ had choose to worship on the day they called the "Lords Day" and it was Sunday and why it was so. It is the first Apology of Justin.

The other document known as the "Teachings of the Apostles" roughly dated pre Book I Thesseloians,(pre 50 A.D.) also states it was the apostles who established the first day of the week as the day of service for the followers of Christ.
It is also known as "The Didache"

I'll be copying your responses. :user: Very informative

Sweet C

The Sabbath was on Saturday only.

That isn't true. You have many instances where something would occur such as a particular festival or offering and these periods did not necessarily fall on a Saturday. but were also denoted as Sabbaths as well (Lev 16:29-31, Lev 23:24, Lev 23:39, Lev 25:4)