What are the Pros and Cons of short hair?

Kamilla16

Yes, I said short hair.
I think I really want to try something new and get my hair cut in a style. Probably a bob or something like that! What are the pros and cons of having shorter hair?

TIA,
Karima

Brownie

I don't have short hair, but I know some other members have said that short hair can be harder to maintain, especially if you have a relaxer because it's harder to extend your touch ups. Also, it's harder to upkeep a short style because you might have to use heat more often to keep the hair looking a certain way---you can't just pull it back into a bun. Also with shorter hair, you might have layers, and in the future, you'd have to grow those out.

Pros: less hair to mess with. This can be a great way to cut all the bad ends off, if you have any, and grow out thicker, healthier hair. You might look prettier if short hair flatters your face

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I don't know about the Pros an Cons but I have short hair right now and I do want to grow it to my shoulders but probably not longer than that. I do know that my hair drys quicker than longer hair and it doesn't take me as long to roller set my hair. As for extending touch-ups I was able to strength my relaxer to 12 weeks.m Nothing is wrong with short hair as long as you know how to take care of it. I think that sometimes short hair gets the short end of the stick

Tracy

Being able to do easy protective styles is def something I'd miss with short hair (I'm considering a a cut too). I'd also miss really being satisfied with the length of my hair because I know for me the idea wouldn't be to have "short" hair it would be to have hair with a good shape and cut mostly - I'd still want it longer eventually again - and soon. I'd also miss not having to dread every trim anymore.....because with mid length hair going from shoulder to ear length can happen in a salon visit. I shudder just thinking about it...

BUT if it's short as a result of a cut then the most wonderful benefit is a brand new head of mostly healthy hair that you can resolve to take excellent care of...

Nice even blunt ends. The shine, movement and bounce you get from a great cut (provided you get one)...I'm drooling just thinking about THAT....

Nuthing like it.

candibaby

you cant do as much with short hair as you can with long hair. that's what i've learned since having my hair cut (involuntarily).. and when my hair was cut layered, i DID have to use heat more to keep the style which i didn't like.

bimbabe

Did I hair you right colour godess? You are considering a cut????

Short hair can be more of a hassle or less of a hassle depending on how you look at it. All of the ladies make excellent points.

I for one could not have hair so short I cannot make a bun. I did that a couple years ago and had to rely on my curling iron too much.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
when i cut my hair short back in October, it was layered so I had fun doing flip up styles (those were the days that I was one with the curling iron). But the bad thing about short hair is if it starts growing and if you want it longer. Its hard to style when you're trying to grow it out and it makes u want to cut it. since October, my hair is back to shoulder length. Im still suffering growing pains though.

jainygirl

i think short (pixie cut) hair matches my face much better but it can get kinda hard to maintain. there is no saving grace for a "bad hair day" when it's short. other than that i loved it, and when i got lazy i just wore it in a soft wrap with the crown bumped up. It was SOOO easy for me to do myself. Pros-your hair dries SOOO fast after shampooing, you get to try all the trendy styles.

Mariaat40

When I see a really cute short cut I just drool. There are some short cuts that are very fashion forward looking. That's a pro.

But I find that I have so much more versatility with longer hair. I love being able to do so many different styles. My girlfriend said that with long hair you never have a bad hair day because, worse case scenario, you can put in it a ponytail and it still looks nice (if your hair is healthy).

NaturalRox

I find that I'm able to experiment more with my short hair and try a few different looks that couldn't be pulled off with longer hair. But the way I look at is that hair grows anyway, so you could have fun with a shorter look for a few months.

whosthatgurl

here.... but i'm not here
i don't have pro's and con's i guess, because i think my hair is starting to grow out ( thank goodness ) but um like everyone else, it is a little bit harder styling, because you have these pieces of other hair that wants to stivk up, btu i didn't get my hair cut in layrs, so i don't have the layer problem. and its harder to make a donut ( bun ) i had to gel my ends down, and i had those " crispy ends " that i hated, but now since my hair is growing out, when i part it in the middle where you have hair at the top and at the bottom where you wear it down, the hair at the top i long enough to go arund the sock. quick question why is it that your hair seems longer at the top when its parted like that, but when you wear it all down, its not that long?

greAtness333

A short hair cut is a good way to rid of dead ends and start over with healthier hair.
They're good for playing around with a lot of styles. For example if you want to color but are worried about the damage- you don't have much to lose. Or you can try different cuts and see which goes better with your face. However, to maintain a sleek style requires using more heat.
Megahertz has a great heat-protecting styling line (pomades, waxes, gels). I per
sonally do a lot of twist outs and wraps b/c I'm trying to use no heat for a year.
When I do want a sleek style I go to my stylist (Dominican or Black-owned) once a month.

The worst part about short hair is the "in between" stage, where I'm at now.
At this point I debate over re-cutting my hair (NOT!) and wishing it would just grow over night.
I've had very short and longer hair and with longer hair, when you have a bad hair day you can just pull it up and go.
With short hair I could never just leave it out and go- at least not when I expect to be seen.

I love short hair I think it is so sexy but it is EXTREMELY unaffordable. If you cant go to the hairdresser every week you will look a mess.

luvSLave

If short hair is a choice (and not the result of a mishap) I think it can be a lot more stylish. With a great haircut and the right products, you rarely have to use a comb or excessive heat. Most people never get a great cut though, so they assume short hair is less managable. Anyone out of beauty school can make hair look great in the salon, but an artiste will give your hair movement and a shape that falls perfectly with little manipulation.

A con is that long hair is safer in that it's traditionally viewed as being more feminine. Also, the shorter you go the more attention your features will receive so you need to be 1)good looking or 2)really confident. (Hope that didn't sound harsh.)

G

[ QUOTE ]
Kamilla16 said:
Yes, I said short hair.
I think I really want to try something new and get my hair cut in a style. Probably a bob or something like that! What are the pros and cons of having shorter hair?

TIA,
Karima

[/ QUOTE ]

As a child, I had really long hair. I keep this all during grade school until I graduate from HS. During college, I did the Toni Braxton and Halle Berry and keep it for ten years or so. I grew my hair out to shoulder length once during that span.

The short hair I could maintain easily. It was so chic and stylist. I could wear it in so many ways. I got so many compliments. I actually like it better. I am only growing my hair out now just to see how long it will get. I am quite sure I will cut it short again after I reach my goal.

VelvetRain

Pros: Can't think of any right now other than it's good to sport a different style from your norm

Cons: Going through this stage now. I miss not being able to pin my hair up or pull up in a high ponytail.

Karonica

I got mine cut yesterday!

I'm looking forward to spiking it, hopefully it isn't too long for spikes.
Also, I know this is gonna be low-maintenance.
I'm so excited!

MizAvalon

Pros:Less worrying about tangles
Can be done quicker and with less products

Cons:Less styling options
I, personally think *very* short cuts only look good on very attractive women, with delicate features. Lets be honest, if your hair is as short as a boy's, it's better if you're cute!

VelvetRain

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:

I'm so excited!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds cute any pictures?

Karonica

No digicam, sorry. My friend in Massachusetts really wants to see it too because I've never had short hair like this before.

NubianAngel

I can't explain why, but I find it really refreshing to hear about good hair cut experiences on a long hair board

Enjoy your new do

BlackButterflyz

Don't waste the pretty...
CONS:
-As it gets closer to touch up time, there is absolutley nothing you can do with it w/o using some kind of heat- which ultimately leads to more damage.
-Forget about protective styles- too short for buns and braidouts look retarded- think of a lion's mane.
-Braids/cornrows or other assorted "assisted" styles will be your only solace when trying to stretch out time between relaxers.
-Forget about bad hair DAY, with short hair you have bad hair WEEKS!

-If you have a big head/weird shaped head, it's kinda hard to hide this with a short cut (and sometimes you don't find out how big your head really is until you cut all that hair off

-Like Tracy said a "trim" always feels like a huge cut b/c you don't have much to begin with and you feel like you'll never get out that short hair style (this is the hardest one for me to deal with personally)

PROs:
-When you have a good cut... whoa, it beats long hair any day!!!
Short hair cuts look like BAM!! while long hair is just there.
-shorter hair always looks thicker to me for some reason

As a person who has never had really long hair (at least not by LHCF's standards) I truly say that short hair styles are truly more of a pain if you don't have a lot of $$$ or if you don't want to be reliant on a stylist. Even my hair length now- (just grazing shoulders) is a pain b/c I still can't get a decent ponytail for those bad hair days.

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:

I'm so excited!

[/ QUOTE ]

CONGRATULATIONS!
Word of advice: For your spikes, Megahertz makes a great pomade/wax that leaves your hair soft with holding power and smells great. It's my new product I'm playing with.

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
luvSLave said:
If short hair is a choice (and not the result of a mishap) I think it can be a lot more stylish. With a great haircut and the right products, you rarely have to use a comb or excessive heat. Most people never get a great cut though, so they assume short hair is less managable. Anyone out of beauty school can make hair look great in the salon, but an artiste will give your hair movement and a shape that falls perfectly with little manipulation.

A con is that long hair is safer in that it's traditionally viewed as being more feminine. Also, the shorter you go the more attention your features will receive so you need to be 1)good looking or 2)really confident. (Hope that didn't sound harsh.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're so right!

@ Blackbutterflyz- my braidouts don't look retarded (but it's your opinion). When I do small twists that's the style I get the most compliments on. I'll be sure to post pics to show you what they look like.

Karonica

I was teasing around with my hair today and unfortunately, I think the hair up top is a bit too long for spikes.

I'm still gonna find something funky to do with it. Either that or get it snipped shorter next month.

Karonica

Oh yeah, I'm definitely gonna be trying that pomade. If I stop by CVS tomorrow, that is definitely on my buy list. Is it good for slicking? How about natural/new growth hair?

BlackButterflyz

Don't waste the pretty...
[ QUOTE ]
greAtness333 said:
@ Blackbutterflyz- my braidouts don't look retarded (but it's your opinion). When I do small twists that's the style I get the most compliments on. I'll be sure to post pics to show you what they look like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, please do show me some pics and some instructions on how to make them look good, cuz mine always come out looking bad. I think it might be because I have a round face and any hair style that stands too high off my head looks crazy (although I can wear a braidout with half of my hair pinned up and half down and look somewhat decent
).

greAtness333

I think it's better for working along the relaxed hair. My edges and nape were definately softer, if I used a scarf to hold it down the back probably would've laid better. If you buy it, tell me how you like it.
They also have one for heat styling.

kandyland

The pros are once you get a handle for your hair, it will take next to no time to style and do, I had a roommate with short hair(Halle style), she didn't even wrap it up at night, she just woke up, fluffed up and she's out...

The cons are similar to what the other members said...with long hair, there really is never a bad hair day cause if it doesn't act right, throw it in an elegant bun, or phoney tail and that's it. I'm experiencing this now..

I just recently BC'd my hair in April, the difference with short natural hair is if my braidout, twistout, whatever style doesn't look right for some reason, I just re wash,shake, throw a cute scarf on and go...try again tomorrow...even with the versatility of short hair...I still do miss my long hair..