What are you doing differently to your hair....

Carlie

thanks to the LHCF! Also, what things have changed in your life in relation to hair.

For me:
I now relax my hair every 12 weeks instead of every month.

I no longer use heat except for my roller-set at touchup time.

I use SCurl on my hair...something I always thought was only for jheri curls... (when my fam comes to my house, they say: "Why do you have SCurl!?!"
shocked.gif
and they look at me like I'm crazy
crazy.gif
)

I never "babied" my hair as much as I have since I've started my hair journey....people are accusing me of being obsessed with hair.
wasntme.gif

I wear a satin scarf to bed....anybody else remember the stocking cap days!?
laugh.gif
look.gif

I now go to bed with my hair in a bun!
shocked.gif
That was unheard of before LHCF....I used to always...and I mean always wrap my hair before bed.

I've never spent so much time on a hair board in my life!

I never knew there was a classification of hair types before LHCF...I just thought the type was called "nappy"
look.gif
...I'm a lot more educated now.
brainy.gif

"Treating my ends" and keeping my hair moisturized has become a whole new concept for me...I never knew that they were so related to growth.

The things you learn at the LHCF!
bookworm.gif

I'm sure there's more...I'll add them when I think of them later.

Anybody else?

Since the LHCF:
I stretch out my relaxers *at least* 12 weeks, usually more.
I no longer use a towel to dry my hair after washing
I sleep in a satin cap and not a doo-rag anymore
I get my hair trimmed as needed and not on some stupid schedule like I used to

That's all I can think of for now. Honestly, before discovering LHCF I took pretty good care of my hair. The really bad days of taking care of my hair where when I was much younger, but I have learned lots of neat little tricks by being here.(Like the S-Curl thing)
smile.gif

Thanks to LHCF ...

I stopped using direct heat in my hair weekly. Now I only get the rare Dominican blowout, which I probably won't do again until next March.

I found out what Dominican salons were. Before LHCF, I had never heard of them.

I'm transitioning. Even though I'd done it before, I didn't know it had a name.
sekret.gif
I just called it growing out my relaxer.

I found Dominican hair products. Never knew they existed before, either. Now I can't imagine being without them.

I'm careful about the products I use. I was never a fan of mineral oil or petrolatum because they never worked well for me in styling products. Didn't have a clue about SLS or SLES or organic hair products.

I wouldn't have known to use any EO or WGO or create my own oil blends.

I now use the wash n go as my primary hair style when I'm wearing my hair down. Before it was a hit or miss style, more often miss. Thanks to Tracy's method (a million thank yous
notworthy.gif
) it looks great every time.
smile.gif

I own a Denman, two in fact. I knew what they were but never thought to buy one.

I love Suave or VO5 conditioners. I just thought that they had to be terrible since they were so cheap. How wrong was I.

I know to deep condition my hair. My stylist told me that I didn't need to. How wrong was she.

Found a replacement for my SHS. I had been going to her for over 10 years and never quite figured it out that it was her insane trims that were keeping me from retaining length. My new stylist trims what I tell her to instead of robbing me of all my growth.

I know about the baggie method and airdrying in ponytails before I transitioned.

I ventured into an Indian grocer to pick up hair products. I also had never bought hair products online. I had never heard of Kenra, Elucence, or Aubrey.

I use creamy leave in products. Before I just used liquid ones and I never protected my ends.
spank.gif

There's more but this is enough.

Since joining the LHCF:
*I wash more often.
*I know that grease is NOT necessary to grow/retain length.
*I deep condition every wash.
*I stretch my relaxers past 8 weeks (last time was 21wks!)
*I next to NEVER use direct heat on my hair.
*I learned to moisturize my hair properly.
*I learned the importance of protein treatments.
*Got rid of that damn SHS that chopped me from near brastrap to ear length!
*Found a new stylist that truly TRIMS & agrees w/ EVERYTHING I told her I learned from the LHCF!
*I'm obsessed with any and everything hair.
*I've become so interested that I'm now going to Tech School to earn my Cosmetology License.

I am more gentle with my hair.

I have cut down on styling products

I cut down on heat.

I put more moisture in my hair now and

I wash more often.

[ QUOTE ]
lakettab said:
I am more gentle with my hair.

I have cut down on styling products

I cut down on heat.

I put more moisture in my hair now and

I wash more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I have learned much more besides. Too much to remember now and list!

1. I wrap my hair at night.
2. I am more selective of the products I use.
3. I wash my hair more often.

I wash my hair more often w/ better quality products

I deep condition constantly

I do pretreatments

I do protein treatments

I TRY to tie my hair at night but at least sleep on a satin pillowcase

I dont use a blowdryer or curling iron anymore

I only use my hooded dryer and occasionally my ceramic flat iron or ionic hot rollers

I wear protective styles mostly though I fall off for a while sometimes--but even when I do wear my hair out its without heat

-Conditioner washes-I don't know what I would do w/o them especially now that I'm transitioning.
-Leave ins-I never used them. They make so much of a difference.
-Deep Conditioners
-Stretching out relaxers when I relaxed-I used to relax faithfully at every six weeks b/c that's what my stylist told me to do. I stretched my relaxer from 6 weeks to 10 weeks to 12 weeks. Now I'm transitioning.

Stretching out relaxers
Co washes
Less heat and airdrying more often
I am doing more pre hot oil treatments

there are a lot of things that I do differently, but at the moment I have found that the protein shakes are increasing my growth rate- its been six weeks and my hair has grown 1 inch already!!

* No direct heat (except special occasions)

* Air drying more often saved my hair

* Wash more frequently

* Protect my ends at all costs

* The bun is my friend

[ QUOTE ]
curlybun said:
there are a lot of things that I do differently, but at the moment I have found that the protein shakes are increasing my growth rate- its been six weeks and my hair has grown 1 inch already!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! Protein shakes provide a great benefit to the hair!
grin.gif
I mainly started my shakes because taking them and working out has/is helping me lose weight faster and build more muscle tone....but I've definitely noticed the hair benefits as well!
up.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:

I had never heard of Kenra, Elucence, or Aubrey.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
It's funny you mention this because now that I think about it, I also never heard of ANY of the shampoos/conditioners that I use now! Before LHCF, I would just use whatever one of my sisters had or the cheapest thing I could find. I wash my hair once a week now...before I just washed it when I felt like it...a lot less than once a week...
look.gif

im currently stretching my relaxer from 4-6 weeks to 10-12 weeks. right now ive been 7 weeks without a relaxer, the longest ive ever waited so far.

ive been on and off the no heat challenge and that is with the blowdryer. Ive totally gotten rid of using curling irons months ago but now im trying to give up the blowdryer.

Oh and another thing...

Before LHCF, I would never even consider transitioning but now it is definitely a possibility. Once I started stretching my relaxers to 12 weeks and started seeing my natural hair texture...I began to fall in love with it. I have 2 sisters that are natural so I kinda know what to expect. I'm thinking that once my hair reaches its longest growth potential, then I'm going to begin to transition... but who knows, that could be 2 years from now.

I wash my hair a lot more (every other day)
I do Cond. washes
I found surge
I found a place nearby to get Dominican products after months of searching
Making informed decisions on buying products instead of just wasting money

Thanx to LHCF

I'm Conditioning more often!

I've Learned that the more water you use on your tresses...the better!

I'm using less heat. The fresh out of the salon look is over-rated...The only time I use heat in my hair is when I get it flat ironed at my stylist..and that's about ever 5 or 6 months! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I Stretched out my relaxers out so much that I decided to leave them behind all together. /images/graemlins/up.gif

Cotton bandanas are a big no no...it's all about satin. I always make sure to use a satin cap and wrap.

I have also learned that you don't need to use the curling iron to do cute styles. Bantu knot-outs and braid-outs are just as cute.

-Wash more frequently...once a week is the looooongest I ever go now, b4 LHCF I had no washing schedule.
-CO Washes
-Inspect most hairs that come out of my head for the white bulb, I always want to know if it's breakage or shedding
-Do Protein Treatments when I see breakage
-Wait longer between relaxers...used to be 4-6weeks...I'm at 17 weeks post-relaxer TODAY...I may wait a few more weeks
-Put away my curling irons, they used to be in place and always plugged in ready for use, all I had to do was hit the switch
-Daily moisture
-Braidouts and ponytails are my standard style
-Protect my ends
-Never grease my scalp anymore...surge spray is the only thing that touches it (except when I protect it for a relaxer)
-No more itchy scalp...I thought itchy meant dry, for me itchy meant dirty...all the grease I was piling onto it
-Stylist commented on how soft my hair was the last time I got a relaxer (in June),that's NEVER happened...before LHCF, stylists would comment on how DRY my hair was
-My hair is thicker than ever, growing faster than ever, and I love it!

[ QUOTE ]
-Put away my curling irons, they used to be in place and always plugged in ready for use, all I had to do was hit the switch

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I remember those days!
[ QUOTE ]
-No more itchy scalp...I thought itchy meant dry, for me itchy meant dirty...all the grease I was piling onto it

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to think the same thing that when my scalp itched, it was dirty. Now, I'm learning that I wasn't so right because now my scalp doesn't itch at all. My scalp used to itch so bad that I thought I would scratch a hole into it. But amazingly, after I did a treatment w. Amla Oil, and started using coconut oil (thanks to LHCF /images/graemlins/wink.gif ), I no longer have to deal w. an itchy scalp. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Since joining the LHCF:
*I've become so interested that I'm now going to Tech School to earn my Cosmetology License.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's great! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I wish you much success in your new career! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

1. I moisturize my ends every day.
2. I sleep on a Satin Pillowcase
3. I am a CONDITIONER addict.
4. I gently comb my hair when wet
5. Before, if my ends looked jacked, I would cut them off. now I wash and deep condition and moisturize.
6. I wash and conditioner my hair as frequently as my hair needs it, I am not rigidly stuck on 1x per week.

Since joining LHCF:
1.I wash daily to every other day, CO washes mainly.
2.I stretch my relaxers every 12 wks.
3.I moisturize daily paying special attention to my ends.
4.I use no heat except for special occasions.
5.I'm always gentle with my hair.
6.I wear satin scarfs to bed and sleep on a satin pillowcase, just in case I lose my scarf.
7.I do pre-treatments before washing.
8.I wear protective styles 95% of the time mainly buns.
9.I got rid of damaged ends instead of holding on to them for length and my hair is in the best condition ever! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

This is my first time really implementing hair care tips on relaxed hair. When I first started going to hair boards, it was for dealing w/ natural hair. Since being apart of LHCF, I now: (via advice and inspired trial and error):

-Know that I don't have to wash every week or as frequently as others (Ironic since most members have found out the opposite).

-Know that my hair does not have to be and isn't supposed to be relaxed bone straight.

-Know that I can still "texturize" my hair w/ a relaxer

-Don't have to sit under a dryer or blow-dry my hair to get it done.

-Know that I don't have to go to a salon for healthy hair.

-Use finger-combing as a very valuable technique.

-Leave my hair alone! (I have let go of PJunkie behavior)

-Don't use a curling iron daily. (It's actually been a month already since I've used direct heat).

-Use WGO w/o worrying about its smell (Peppermint oil!! Thanks, Sassy /images/graemlins/up.gif ).

-Know that I can hold on to 6 inches of growth in a year!

-Content if my hair doesn't grow 1 inche per month.

Back