what can be some causes of hair thinning/shedding?

Roxyness

i don't know.. it just seems my hair is thinning.. well, it's really visible in my ends for some reason, and it seems like it sheds more than it used to.. my buns and ponytails are a lot more thin now, kinda stringy almost..

the only factors i can think of are when i stopped taking my vitamins and fish oil back in january, stress (although the shedding started in january and i was actually wonderfully happy back then).. and that's pretty much it.. oh, and i'm anemic, but was told everything was normal, of course that was a physical from two years ago.

Ganjababy

It sounds like the anemia - Your HB can be withing normal levels but because you are anemic your body could be taking some of the hb from nonessential places like your scalp in order to ensure your blood has enough hence your HB may be a normal range. This is called compensation. You could have your ferritn levels checked also as this will show if you are still anemic and also have your HB checked again. It could be a combination of factors too that includes the anemia. You need to get to the bottom of it before it gets worse.

Other additional reasons

Stress
Too tight ponytail or bun
Inadequate diet
Overprocessing (don't know if you are natural or relaxed)
Heat over use

BlondeByDesire

Welcome first of all. Are you relaxed or natural?

I know over the course of many many years having been relaxed it has made my hair thinner ... that's one reason why I'm transitioning. This may not be the case for you though.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Get your thyroid checked. I just recently went through the same thing-excessive shedding and breakage. Lost a loooot of hair.

Is your hair more dry than usual?

JinaRicci

Sorry to hear Roxyness. You did say- 'visible in my ends' though- do you mean you have mostly breakage or all over thinning? There are lots of reasons why this may be happening- if it's thinning. Since you already have a medical condition that appears to be relevant to this, I would reco you start with that first.

Hope you have a quick recovery!