What do I do? Need SERIOUS HELP!!!!!

Sweet C

Ok, my cousin wants me to help her do her hair, but she has not washed and has barely touched her hair in 5, going on 6 weeks. No, she doesn't have braids, but her hair was down straight, and she just kept pulling it back in a ponytail (hair is maybe 2-3 inches from SL). I'm not sure what to do first. I know her hair is definitely going to be tangled, so should I try to detangle first before attempting to wash? Also, I had plan on giving her a hot oil, deep protein, and moisturizing treatments tonights, so in which order should I give them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Healthb4Length

I think that you should try a prepoo treatment first with a(n) if you have castor, great! But use whatever oils you have available for the prepoo, put her under the plastic cap for like 30 minutes. Next I would lightly detangle her hair in sections, then I would wash her hair in sections. For her I would do a combo of things, first I would wash with a clarifying poo because you mentioned that she hasn't washed her hair in a minute. Then I would put on some of the deep protein treatment mainly concentrating on the ends (do that for a minimum of 30 minutes with heat), I would then rinse. Next step I would slap on some of the moisturizing treatment for like 15-20 minutes, rinse but this time do a co-fusion wash, meaning rinse (shampoo) with a diluted moisturing shampoo over the moisturizing conditioner ( I hope this makes sense). Follow up with a quick hot oil treatment, proceed to style.

STEPS
1. Clarifying shampoo
2. Deep protein treatment
3. Rinse
4. Moisturizing treatment
5. Co fusion over the moisturizing treatment
6. Hot oil

qtgirl

I would spray her hair with Pantene Light Conditioning Spray (it's a detangler) and use a wide tooth comb to detangle, assure her that the hair that's coming out is mostly shedding from not really combing and washing for 6 wks. Then I would wash with a clarifying shampoo (she'll probably need it) and then a second lather with a moisturizing poo. Next I would do a deep protein (maybe Nexxus Emergencee) and follow with a deep moistute conditioner (with heat for at least 15min.).

How do you plan on styling her hair?

Sweet C

qtgirl said:
How do you plan on styling her hair?

Well I was going to give her a rod set, but my mom thinks that her hair will be tangled on the next wash with that. Or perhaps a flat twist set. I want to give her something low maintenance that will give her hair opportunity to rest (cleanly).

Leslie_C

hmmm....Im saying this bc I have experienced it myself. I got really lazy and frustrated with my hair for a while and was just ignoring it (denial) while wearing a fall for a while. I was really busy and didnt have time to fool with my hair.

Anyway, I think that using a clarifying shampoo on hair that is tangled is a no no. It tends to tangle/strip the hair. Trust me, even after u pre detangle, when its wet u will see it still has lots of tangles u couldnt get with a wide tooth comb. I think the hair needs to be bathed in a shampoo that gives it slip. What I did was first I co washed with a great slip conditioner (too bad its no longer available! it was DDTA). I just kept lathering up with that and as I rinsed I would let the force of the water and the slip from the conditioner help me to further detangle it with my fingers first and then my shower comb. Then I followed with cream of nature bc its got great detangling properties. After that it was ok to comb. I then bathed it in a good deep conditioner (I used Salerm Wheat Germ) and a plastic cap that I wore for the remainder of the day. I must say my hair was nice and soft after all of that.

HTH, Ive been thru this with my hair several times.

goldensensation

I agree with another poster, you've already been given great advice!

Just remember that you will have to do a whole lot of detangling. Before washing, during, and after. Try to use your hands to find the tiny tangles and resist the temptation of raking the comb through when you get frustated.

I think that before you wash her hair, you should load it down with a leave-in that has lots of slip and get to detangling. Consider it a pre-poo.

Sweet C

Thanks everyone for all of your good advice.
This is what I ended up doing

Day 1
+ Detangled dry hair using comb and EVOO
+ Did a conditioner wash with NTM
+ Did a clarifying wash with Fantasia Tee Tree shampoo
+ Quick ACV rinse
+ Hot oil treatment (Jojoba, EVOO, Peppermint, Rosemary, Lavendar, and TW oils); put under heating cap for about 30 minutes and left in overnight

Day 2
+Wash with Elucence shampoo
+ Protein treatment (Nexxus Emergencee under dryer for 30 minutes)
+ Deep conditioning treatment with Kercare Humecto; under heating cap for 30 minutes, and no heat for about 4 hours
+ Suceeded to style

Suprisingly after I got pass the initial detangling (which took a while to do gently), her hair didn't tangle up that much in the end.