What do you know about Whey Protein?

Anancy

Im considering taking whey protein to help with growing my hair. Im not one to take supplements or growth aids, but im slowly tempted.

My brother uses it for training (muscle building). I'v heard is good for hair, but it worries me that it may build muscle, i do work out regularly so i dont want to end up looking bulky.

Do any of you use whey protein for hair growth? What results have you had? Have you experienced any side effects?

Tell me if i am worrying about nothing.

TIA

Soliel185

I drink whey protien shakes after I weight train because it helps repair muscle and can help you build more muscle tissue faster if taken in the first 30 mins after a workout. Weight training actually elevates your metabolism for several hours afterward where as cardio only does this for about an hour after the workout. Weight training is great for women because the more lean muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolism. Meaning if you have alot of muscle you burn more calories sitting still than someone with less muscle would. Drinking whey protien and lifting regularily when combined with a good diet will make you drop inches. You'll probably notice your clothes fitting better and your body looking tighter even though your wieght may not change - so you don't have to worry about getting bulky.

Think of a diet like Atkins. You eat almost ALL protien, no carbs, and you lose weight. I usually have my shake instead of dinner, or an hour or so before a small light meal. I don't know how it will affect hair growth, but it's good for general health.

MsAngie

I was drinking whey protein shakes for a while, and I never saw any boost in growth. I am not sure, though, if I drank them long enough to be able to see anything.

As far as the muscle building aspect, I was worried about that too. My bf said I shouldn't be drinking them because only those trying to build muscle should drink them. I didn't bulk up though, needless to say. :look: I would give it a try, though, if I were you. You can always stop drinking them if you think you are gaining too much muscle anyway. HTH.

Last edited:

candiel

I drink whey protein shakes on the days I work out, because I'm trying to gain more lean mass and I have noticed a lot of hair growth since I've started drinking them on a regular basis.

I haven't notice any negative side effects at all and I love the way my body is starting to look:grin:. I doubt that you will bulk up too big if you are not doing any heavy weight lifting.

Last edited:

Anancy

Thanks guys, your responses are a lot of help. How many times a day or week do you take the whey protein?

senimoni

You will only build muscle if you are lifting heavy and eating at a calorie surplus. If you take the calories from the shakes into account for the total diet you will be fine. PS don't magically cause weight gain but you can't drink them all willy nilly.

sugarose

Be careful, if you are not working out you might gain.
Also, you will not bulk up from drinking whey protein.
If you are worried about whey, you can always start adding more protein to your diet. I saw a lot of growth when I was on the high protein, low carb diet.

Anancy

Be careful, if you are not working out you might gain.
Also, you will not bulk up from drinking whey protein.
If you are worried about whey, you can always start adding more protein to your diet. I saw a lot of growth when I was on the high protein, low carb diet.

That's my problem u see, i dont thnk i get enough protein in my diet, i dont eat a lot of meat, and hardly any fish, maybe once every 2 weeks. I love beans, so i eat all sorts quite regularly, but that's about it oh and eggs atleast 6 a week. This is my reason for looking into whey protein really.