What do you look for in a stylist?

webby

Think Slim
When I discovered dominican stylist in NYC, I thought that any stylist, who was from Republica Dominicana would be equal. I learned the hard way, that this is not necessarily the case. One dominican stylist in my area nearly ripped me bald :nuts:

If I had to find a new stylist, here are a few things I would assess:

1. How healthy is the stylist's hair?
2. Is her salon packed?
3. How healthy/long is the hair of the average patron?
4. Does she understand my requests: roller set, blow out the roots only
5. Does she use a variety of products: Nexxus, Sebastian other well known products.
6. Does she grimmace when she runs her hands through my hair to see how much I have. I have actually had stylists say that they didn't mind blow drying my hair, but they didn't want to touch it while it's wet, because it's too thick and would take too much work to detangle.

Did I miss anything?

Along with is her hair healthy, does she HAVE hair? My ex-stylist was basically bald headed, and not by choice. She wore wigs all the time when I went to her and now she wears it out and still doesnt have any. Her hair is damaged from all the color she puts in it, and had the nerve to tell ME my hair was damaged and that I better take care of the color I had in mine so it didnt get worse. (it wasnt damaged, she just wanted a reason to whack it off)

What about reputations? If I heard a lot of good things about a stylist or salon I'd be more likely to go there.

Can she answer my questions? It might just be me but I'm always asking my stylist questions, mainly about things I read online about hair health. My ex-stylist couldnt answer the majority of my questions and always got frustrated whenever I asked.

Is she SCISSOR HAPPY? Watch her trim a few clients' hair, see if she just takes off a little, or just starts whacking it off. Test her, see if she knows what a dusting is. If you let her trim yours to start.. get a big handheld mirror and watch her like a hawk to see what she does.

Okay.. yes I am paranoid. But I hope I helped :D

Last edited:
There are a few things that I look at when choosing a stylist:

- Appointments: do they overbook intentionally and leave me waiting for 2 hours before I even reach a chair?
- How clean is the salon/work area?
- What condition is her hair in? I don't really care if its short or long but I pay close attention to health, style, etc.
- Does she know the difference between a trim and a cut?
- Does she answer my questions or get offended and cop an attitude?
- Does she push for trims even if I don't want or need one?
- What kind of products does she use, will she have a fit because I bring my own?
- Is she patient and attentive while working?
- Is she professional?

Here are things that I look for, but I fear will never find:

**Knows what I am talking about when I ask about certain products like Aphoghee, instead of saying "I've never heard of that."

**Doesn't get upset with me when I say, 'I don't want my hair cut---not even a little bit.'

**Doesn't try to make me feel bad because I waited 12 weeks or more to have a touchup.

**Doesn't get all weird because I want a rollerset instead of using marcel curlers.

**Answers my questions without saying something like, "I know what I'm doing."

**Does what I ask her/him to do instead of doing what they want to MY HAIR.

-How her hair looks as far as health
-How her clients hair look as far as health
-Products used
-How she feels about natural hair (nottrying to push a relaxeror texturizer on me)
-Does she know the difference between a cut and a trim
-Average length of appointments/how she spaces out clients
-Profesionalism
-Can she and does she answer my questions
-Is her focus on hair health or the latest trend
-Cleaniness of the salon
- The stylist's personality
- Is she willing to listen to my concerns
- Able to provide options in terms of hair care and hair styling
- How her hair and her assistants' hair looks
-Does she value hair care as well as hair styling. I want my hair to look bangin'
but healthy!

Back